Trout fishing in Powhatan Lake

Mr.Stepanov

Hi all,

I'm new here and to trout fishing. I've been fishing for the most part of my childhood back in Europe. I live in NC now and just now getting back into fishing. I heard there's some trout in Lake Powhatan in Bent Creek. What's the best part of the lake to look for it?

Thank you all in advance!

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They stock trout in the Lake periodically during the spring/summer. There are also some largemouths & bluegills in the lake.

With this lake, fishing varies from terrible to tolerable!! I'd fish the deeper end towards the dam for trout and the shallows around the upper end early & later in the day for the bass & bluegills.

There is a fishing pier on the left ("north") side........that's where they pour in the trout.

Best direction I can give is to drive the main road thru the campground and when you come to the upper end of the lake you can park and then walk around the left side to the pier.

Good luck.

Boojum

Ten Pointer
What he said^. I would generally try the deepest areas in most situations. You can walk around most of it. Bee Tree Reservoir near Black Mountain used to have a lot of trout in it too, not sure if fishing is still allowed there now, though.

Mr.Stepanov

They stock trout in the Lake periodically during the spring/summer. There are also some largemouths & bluegills in the lake.

With this lake, fishing varies from terrible to tolerable!! I'd fish the deeper end towards the dam for trout and the shallows around the upper end early & later in the day for the bass & bluegills.

There is a fishing pier on the left ("north") side........that's where they pour in the trout.

Best direction I can give is to drive the main road thru the campground and when you come to the upper end of the lake you can park and then walk around the left side to the pier.

Good luck.

Thank you both. I'm familiar with the area as I mountain bike a lot in Bent Creek. I'll hit the dam and see how it goes. Thanks again!

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thank you both. I'm familiar with the area as I mountain bike a lot in Bent Creek. I'll hit the dam and see how it goes. Thanks again!

The NCWRC also stocks Bent Cr both above and below the lake.........about once a month or thereabouts!

I just looked at the NCWRC website...........looks like they've stopped stocking Lake Powhatan at the end of May but there should still be some trout there. They'll stock the Creek thru June.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
They were catching some nice brook trout and channel catfish there this past weekend.

Nightcrawlers and power bait seemed to be most productive.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The NCWRC also stocks Bent Cr both above and below the lake.........about once a month or thereabouts!

I just looked at the NCWRC website...........looks like they've stopped stocking Lake Powhatan at the end of May but there should still be some trout there. They'll stock the Creek thru June.

This past Saturday was Kid's Fishing Day sponsored by the USFS at Lake Powhatan so they had it well stocked for the young'uns!!:fishing: