Fly Fishing

Tanner

Has any one on this forum ever went fly fishing for bass? If so what do you need to get started?

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
I like a 9ft 8wt for casting large poppers and streamers. 5-6wts are good too, but you're limited to smaller offerings.

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
Not including trout, the 9ft 8wt us incredibly versatile. I've used mine for bass, stripers, steelhead trout, river smallmouth, reds in the creeks and permit & bonefish in the bahamas.

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
Not sure what you want to spend but check out the SAGE BASS rods. You can find the first generation models on ebay pretty cheep. Its a short fast 8wt that come with a very aggressive shooting line. Its built to throw big flies at short distances with very few false cast. It handles smaller clouser type flies very well too. Its also a great rod to punch through a head wind with the shooting head on the line.

Boojum

Ten Pointer
Yes. Love it, it's loads of fun. You don't need a super-expensive fly rod to get to catching them. Most anything from a 5wt up will work well.

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
5 to 7wt is more than enough for largemouth bass with a fly rod. Bass Pro has a White River set up that relatively inexpensive and all you'd need to get started. Don't get hung up on the "big" bass bugs. I catch way more fish on a smaller (#4) popper or streamer.

wademaster

I've said this a thousand times, so here goes again. The Redingon Crosswater combo is excellent for the money. Check it out.