Got to thinking about comedy

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I won't go back as far as myself and a few more here can cause I doubt if too many would think folks like Buddy Hackett was funny. But I did remember, a little later, The Great Flydini. Anyone remember that one.

And poor old George Carlin. Wonder if he thought his "Heavy Seven" would ever be so widely accepted and used?

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
LOL, Carlin could add quite a few to that list these days and probably drop a few. He was caught up in the beginning of politically correct! Pretty insightful, took stupidity and fear and made a living from it....

crittergitter

Ten Pointer
Carlin was one of the all time greats. I had the pleasure of seeing him in Chapel Hill in 1985 and I laughed so hard I about wet myself. As for Buddy Hackett he was a hoot!
My all time favorite comedian was Jerry Clower. For any of you young folks out there that have never heard his stuff, YouTube him. Comedy you can listen to with your whole family.

Sent from my iPhone using My big fat fingers.

ecufan

Eight Pointer
I love hearing Wendy Bagwell. I don't know which is my favorite The Rattlesnake story or the VW one. Jerry Clower is a hoot. One of my favorites is Tim Wilson. He had some funny stuff. I had the privilege to see him live twice. Even sat at the bar and had several drinks with him.

Last edited:

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
I love hearing Wendy Bagwell. I have a cd of him. Good to listen too on a bad day

Grew up listening to him sing and story tell along with the Sun Lighters... He used to always be at the Easter all night show in Charlotte...

specialk

Twelve Pointer
Jerry Clower, clean and funny as heck....saw him perform many years ago down here in GA......

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Sure, I remember all of those. Clower was a hoot for sure. Loved Wendy's comedy and the music as well. I started this thing with a couple of guys from a little closer to what I thought more of the forum members might be familiar with. Maybe no body remembers The Great Flydini. Guess I should just stick with the old farts and leave the new world alone. LOL.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
If some people are following this thread there are gonna be a bunch of youtube searches. LOL. Hope they enjoy.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
I won't go back as far as myself and a few more here can cause I doubt if too many would think folks like Buddy Hackett was funny. But I did remember, a little later, The Great Flydini. Anyone remember that one.

And poor old George Carlin. Wonder if he thought his "Heavy Seven" would ever be so widely accepted and used?

Hackett and Carlin are two of my favorites. And the second part of your post reminded me of an HBO filmed concert of Hackett who was in several Disney movies and started out on tv when you couldn't say any of the heavy seven. But in that film from Vegas Hackett used them and many others and he was funny as heck. I know some folks don't like that salty stuff but I'm sorry it is funny to me. But I also like Clower, Justin Wilson, and others who are totally clean but still very funny.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
I remember all of those mentioned. Flip Wilson was pretty funny too. "The Devil made me do it". Maybe we were so innocence back then that any entertainment was new and caught our attention but speaking for myself the shows on TV today are not funny. Stupid for sure but not funny.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Jackie Gleason Show the Honeymooners...Art Carney...could watch him all day. The good ole days long gone. Remember Amos & Andy...never see them anymore...now they go back to early 50's

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Way before they came out with shows like America Has Talent, there were shows like Ed Sullivan. He paved the way for people today.