Santee bound

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
While I don't fish like I use too, I always like fishing with my dad at santee. He took the camper down last week and we heading back to test the water this weekend. Just finished loading and I made sure he put the dip net in the boat. He's already talking junk. He asked why we needed the dip net?..I said I don't know but you used it last year...I just figured you would need it again. :D Looking forward to a good weekend of catfishing with my 68 year old dad on santee cooper. I'm going to do my best to make sure his hands smell like dip net on the way home. :D

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Man wish I were going down there to do some fishing. I surely miss my old fishing hole that I fished while living in SC for 35 years..Good luck with the fish..

Eggman

Twelve Pointer
What part of the lake are you fishing? I have not fished there in years but sure do miss it. The flatheads sure be starting to good.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
We fish the lower lake out of Blacks Camp. We caught 12-14 last night....15 lbs was biggest. We going in search mode tonight.

Last edited:

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I love blacks camp....been 10yrs since I've been there? It still eat slam up with gators?

Shouldn't be long til the flatties shut down IMO.... They get hard to catch in the spawn, but I probably ain't doing it right.

Good luck!

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Ol yes.....we seen half a dozen gators this morning when we came in. Mostly 7-8fters or smaller. Blacks is packed with people this year. Owner said its the best year he's had in 10 years. As for the flats...we don't get on them until August. I think right now alot of fish are spawning thus why we catching the small ones. Water temp last night was 83.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I love blacks camp....been 10yrs since I've been there? It still eat slam up with gators?

Shouldn't be long til the flatties shut down IMO.... They get hard to catch in the spawn, but I probably ain't doing it right.

Good luck!
Spawn has been over down there.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Well we couldn't dial them in on this trip.caught some more small fish last night. Had some good laughs with dad e be back in a week or two. Dad did catch a post spawn blue last night...poor fish was bad shape. Only had one eye and it was cloudy. Fish put up a good fight...mean rascal.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
The ones we catch in late August generally are scared up pretty bad too. With that said...the blue male dad caught last night was about healed up. Santee is a big place. I have wondered how far those fish will go up stream to spawn. I would like to know the effects the fish went through when the drought hit down there several years ago. Water was way down and then it filled...fishing really hasn't been as good to me since in the lower lake. I know blues will follow current up river even when they not spawning.

We generally fish that lower lake at night...we drift and its not a place for weak hearts. We was drifting in 3-4 ft swells last night and coming into that canal when they pulling water can get hairy at times.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've been down in late June and they were up in the cypress trees and locked down. Never know. Then again I wasn't targeting flatheads then either.
May have been a cool spring, flatheads spawn about 10 degrees before blues and channels. I would have thought just the opposite since blues and channels are much more active in cooler weather but I learned the hard way.