Clover field Maintenance

MikeBlan

Spike
I planted a ladino/durana clover plot on a creek bottom last year, probably 1/4 acre. I over seeded with some oats as well. It came in great and is extremely high and lush right now. My question is now what? When should I consider cutting it? I cant get a hand mower down to it, but could user a weed eater. Also what herbicides should I be considering and when? Any help is appreciated!

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I have had good luck letting the clover head out ( normally around 12"-14" tall) then mowing it back to around 6" being careful not to mow to low. Clover will re seed itself after doing this for a season. Weed competition and control is key to allow the clover to flourish. There are a number of products on the market that you can spray and kill weeds and not the clover. Just be careful not to do it when it's expected to be real hot and dry for a long period of time. I do not fertilize my clover at all as it produces its own nitrogen. Speak with a local ag consultant on adding lime and non nitrogen products. I have found a wealth of info on whitetail institutes website and just generally searching the web. Also, by my own trail and errors. Good luck!

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I got 5 acres of clover pasture up in rockingham county. 1/4 acre should be easy to maintain with regular mowing and lime. You can use triple 10 fertilizer in light amounts or 5-10-30 in early spring and fall. Mowing it in July and again in September but make sure the clover is not dry when you mow.

mdunker

Ten Pointer
Clover does not need nitrogen and any nitrogen you put down will just help the weeds. If you you put anything on it after established use something like 0-20-20.

Mowing down to six inches as mentioned above will help as well. Mow it no lower than that and make sure not during a drought. Mowing also helps with weed control if that becomes a problem.

If you get a weed problem Poast or anything with sethoxydim will kill the grasses and not hurt the clover.

Personally, if you can not get a mower down to it I would leave it alone.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
0-20-20 does work better but it is a lot more expensive than 5-10-30 or triple 10. I have yet to have a problem using triple 10 . Your going to have weeds no matter what you do. ALL of Nature requires plant diversity to exist.

Last edited:

Pirate Hunter

Clover does not need nitrogen and any nitrogen you put down will just help the weeds. If you you put anything on it after established use something like 0-20-20.

Mowing down to six inches as mentioned above will help as well. Mow it no lower than that and make sure not during a drought. Mowing also helps with weed control if that becomes a problem.

If you get a weed problem Poast or anything with sethoxydim will kill the grasses and not hurt the clover.

Personally, if you can not get a mower down to it I would leave it alone.

If you've never tried using Clethodim for grass control I would highly recommend it. I used to use sethoxydim and was turned on to the clethodim and it has proven far superior in my plots. I always use a form of crop oil too when spraying.