Hen with poult

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
I saw a hen with a single poult this afternoon on the farm I hunt in Orange County. The poult was very small too...only about 6 inches tall. I'm guessing the poult is from the hen's second, maybe third attempt to nest successfully. Discouraging...but one is better than none, for sure. It has a long way to go to reach adulthood though.

I hope this hen just had some bad luck and that this is not an indication of an overall bad hatch. What are you folks seeing?

Last edited:

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Saw a 2 hens together, one with 5 poults Saturday. The poults were close to the same size as the ones you described.

Last edited:

TarheelTurkey

Six Pointer
Buddy had a gobbler tearing the woods up las week and my brother in law saw a gobbler strutting behind a hen in a field on the way to Danville three days ago . Can't hunt the land but the hen near my home had 6 luckily , one was limping real bad so hopefully it will survive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A buddy, who is a non-Hunter, sent me a picture last week of about 10 poults with two hens. They were half-grown almost.

Edit: Added pic.

Last edited:

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
Reports are very mixed. I guess it just depends on where you are. Thanks for chiming in....keep em coming.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
I saw two hens with 9 poults between them this past Sunday,not far from the house...about the size of a bantam hen.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just saw my first turkeys in my yard in several months..three hens with 9 poults, looks like two hatchings worth. One hen had no poults with her at all. The wife got lots of pictures on her camera. Glad we finally get to mark the card with local birds.

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
I have never recieved a survey card. Don't need one anyways with no more turkeys we have,bad hatches in NC are ruining good hunting.

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Finally seen a hen near home she had poults but not sure how many, they were small and she would sit on them when I stopped the truck, looked to be a few days old,better late then never .

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The wife saw what I'm to assume was the same three hens as we saw a week or so ago, instead of 9 poults, now there are 5. They spent over an hour eating all my blueberries, so if the other 4 were out there hiding they had plenty of time to reconnect with their little flock. We have several local pair of big raptors, and a healthy fox and yote population as well, little young turkeys are easy pickins.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Seen 13 poults with 3 hens in Duplin county near Beulaville. They were size of chickens

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We have been watching 3 hens with 5 poults for the last two hours feeding all over our yard, they are regulars now and come daily to eat the corn and birdseed and chase grasshoppers.

DJinNC

Banned
We have seen 2 hens with 6-8 poults a peice feeding in a lot every morning in the same lot at the exact same time for the about month or so. Development started 2 weeks ago and they disappeared.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
seen the same lonely hen two mornings this week. all by herself. She likes a field corner early in the am. got a good look today and she has no poults.