What gun should I get?

Shine

Six Pointer
Contributor
Trying to decide on franchi intensity or versamax sportsman. Can get them for the same price so what would you pick and why? Also trying to find out if the intensity takes 2 3/4-3.5 shells as well.

Last edited:

Willie

Twelve Pointer
Trying to decide on franchi intensity or versamax sportsman. Can get them for the same price so what would you pick and why? Also trying to find out if the intensity takes 2 3/4-3.5 shells as well.

I have a brand new in box Beretta A350 if you're interested. Max 5, shoots 3.5".
Gun has never been fired. Let my know if interested.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Get the gun that FITS YOU! I can't stress enough how important this is over anything else. I'd suggest seeing a competent gun fitter (or someone that knows a little about fit) before you purchase.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Get the gun that FITS YOU! I can't stress enough how important this is over anything else. I'd suggest seeing a competent gun fitter (or someone that knows a little about fit) before you purchase.

This is the best advice you can get. When you find it you will know it.

Shine

Six Pointer
Contributor
Yes I know I've tried them both out and seem to both feel the same. Although I've always been an old remmington gun user I think I'm going with the franchi.

Jmac

I would 1st forget about the need for 3.5s and then look very hard at the Remington V3

fabes468

Benelli SBE all the way. Have had mine for 7 years of heavy hunting and never let me down.

Bullet1

Four Pointer
I'm a Benelli guy myself but for a reasonable price you could get the Beretta A300 and it's a great gun!

Shine

Six Pointer
Contributor
Went with the intensity. Not a 3.5" person but got the gun in camo for $750 so couldn't pass it up.

Last edited:

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
I would 1st forget about the need for 3.5s and then look very hard at the Remington V3

This. I don't know what kind of hunting you will be doing but in the beaver swamps I hunt a 2 3/4 shell is all you really need. I I have several boxes of 3 1/2 shells that have sat for years. I have found that a 3 1/2 Black Clouds are a good varmint load in the yard.

Last edited:

LawDog

Ten Pointer
I'm a Benelli guy myself but for a reasonable price you could get the Beretta A300 and it's a great gun!

I have seem you shoot at Deep River and it does not manner what you got in your hands...a clay pigeon does not have a chance.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I never could understand why people buy shotguns by brand name. Sort of like buying shoes because they look good, not because they fit.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Downeast, I could not have said it any better myself. For the life of me why people tout for others what they like versus not saying anything about the gun's ability to have shims added/deleted for changing cast and/or length of pull is beyond me. I would love to shoot a Browning 625 O/U .410 ( a nice, quality gun) but it doesn't fit well (shoots high). So I shoot an old $400 Remington Wingmaster in same gauge and shoot it much, much better.

Last edited:

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I never could understand why people buy shotguns by brand name. Sort of like buying shoes because they look good, not because they fit.

Mainly because if you buy a POS that fits, all you have is a good fitting POS. I've been around tons and tons of shotguns and if you don't think brand matters, then you haven't shot a shotgun a lot. Buy a great fitting stoeger o/u and put about 10k down the pipe and you will see why guys buy browning, beretta etc............

Mathews Archer

Six Pointer
mainly because if you buy a pos that fits, all you have is a good fitting pos. I've been around tons and tons of shotguns and if you don't think brand matters, then you haven't shot a shotgun a lot. Buy a great fitting stoeger o/u and put about 10k down the pipe and you will see why guys buy browning, beretta etc............

^^^^^^this

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a mossberg silver reserve o/u with 3-4000 shells through it. It is loose as a goose. It will occasionally fire both barrels. Ive shot with guys that have amazing sporting guns with probably 100k down the barrels and they are 10 times the quality. Brand does matter.

Jmac

So the morel of this thread is to get the most quality you can afford THAT fits you.....BUT......you sure can't go by name brand alone these days. theres plenty of 7-800 1000 1500 dollar individual pieces of junk out there today, and every brand has their name on them respectively.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I had a nice Benelli that drove me nuts. Regardless of how I adjusted the shims the POS never did fit me. It always shot low for me. I sold it to a friend who shoots the hell out of it. Once in awhile I'll shoot it and sure enough I still can't hit squat with it. I found a Winchester SX3 that fits me like a glove. It's not a Benellironi spaghetti gun ;) but I can hit with the Winchester, and that's what counts.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I found a Winchester SX3 that fits me like a glove. It's not a Benellironi spaghetti gun ;) but I can hit with the Winchester, and that's what counts.

I love my O/U's but bought a SX3 20ga last year. Love love love that gun. Between my 28gauge A400 and the SX3 20ga, I never shoot a 12ga anymore.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
I love my O/U's but bought a SX3 20ga last year. Love love love that gun. Between my 28gauge A400 and the SX3 20ga, I never shoot a 12ga anymore.

I'm with ya. Hard to go wrong with a SX3 (my fowling piece) as they are balanced nicely, have spacers and shims for fitting, and are exceptionally reliable. Have thought about getting that 20ga.
As a dove shooter, really like the 28ga Beretta O/U silver pigeon II. Shoot it and the .410 almost exclusively except late season on blustery days when a little more fire power is needed. Sub gauges are a blast to hunt with!

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I'm with ya. Hard to go wrong with a SX3 (my fowling piece) as they are balanced nicely, have spacers and shims for fitting, and are exceptionally reliable. Have thought about getting that 20ga.
As a dove shooter, really like the 28ga Beretta O/U silver pigeon II. Shoot it and the .410 almost exclusively except late season on blustery days when a little more fire power is needed. Sub gauges are a blast to hunt with!

I never even fired my 12 last year. Shot my 20 exclusively and killed as many if not more ducks than I ever have. Shot the prettiest bull sprig I've ever killed with the 20. See no reason to ever go back to the 12 unless it's big water and sea ducks but even then it'll be questionable. Right fit + right load + patterning + shoot'em when your supposed to = a kill anything gun!!!!!

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
On the 3.5 inch loads...I will never purposely buy a box of 3.5 inch shells again, unless maybe I'm crane hunting, but I wouldn't have a gun that didn't take them. You never know when your bag goes overboard and all you have is your buddy's 3.5 inch shoulderthumpers.