Coyote Hounds

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
My pups/young dogs are right at a year old now. There are 4 of them, all Walkers. I broke and ran them in the wire on yotes. I have started running them on the outside by themselves. 1st time was a few weeks ago, they jumped and ran for about 45 minutes. I never saw the game so I don't know what they were running. I have ran enough deer and yotes, to know if I didn't see the game it was likely a yote. I just got around to running them again yesterday, between work and the heat I just haven't had a good day or the time. I cast them they hunted a little fast at first, if you can call it that. They produced no game and kept wanting to go where I did not want them, so I loaded them and we went to a different spot in the same block of woods. I cast them again, they wanted to be hard headed and go the wrong way again. I called them back, got them into were I wanted them and they had slowed down, hunting a little better so after about an hour but no game I called them back in. There were beagles running on two sides of me one a rabbit pack and the other I don't know but that club does have a member with deer beagles. I was worried if my dogs went to the rabbit dogs, but I didn't want them to get in a deer chase if I could help it. All in All, I know they will run and found something on the first time on the outside and then they didn't get on anything yesterday. I figure them jumping nothing was a good thing, at least they did not jump a deer.

Last edited:

treestock

Four Pointer
Maybe you're just lucky and don't have a high yote population in your woods LOL. If the pen you been running has them stacked on top of each other like sardines (i.e. puppy pen), it'll probably take them a little while to range out to actually find game. I had to switch pens here lately for the same reason, the smaller outfit I was running is loaded with game and that makes for a great chase, but it makes the dogs lazy. Started running another local 300 acre pen with less game than the small pen, I like it because it shows me what I got in realistic conditions without having to worry about crossing the hard top

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
The pen had plenty of game. I broke the pups and their litter mates in this pen by themselves, without the aid of any older dogs. They seemed to learn to hunt the game up. When going from the pen to the outside there is a huge learning curve I know. Where I hunt we don't have the number of deer we once did before the yotes, now there also seems to be less yotes. I know this is going to be a challenge. I'll just have to see how it goes.

treestock

Four Pointer
They'll get it. Never seen a dog that wouldn't at least pack to a chase, just owners too lazy to run them. They just gotta figure out how stick with a cold track seeinhow they're used to running where the game and hot tracks are plenty

ditchbank

Banned
They'll get it. Never seen a dog that wouldn't at least pack to a chase, just owners too lazy to run them. They just gotta figure out how stick with a cold track seeinhow they're used to running where the game and hot tracks are plenty

Exactly....my pups from last year figured out pretty quick how to run apiece of game in the wild. 8 trophys in 5 outside the wire field trials proved it and i ran them from 6months old until 10months in the pen until opening day of deer season, the thing the ppen does do is put the wind in their lungs. Pen dogs can run alot longer than outside dogs.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Keep working them on the outside. What I have found out over the years of outside fox hunting is that running in a pen does not put alot of hunt in a hound,I have purchased alot of hounds young and old that were broke and run in pens and it takes alittle time for them to get in swing of hunting on the outside some take to it alot faster then others. Most however as soon as you turn them out out go looking for the fence line knowing they can get jumps fast there.What I look for in my fox field trail hounds {I only go to 3 day outside fox hunts} is, I want a hound that has a good recovery time so he is ready to go on the second and third day,I want him or her to give me everything they have in 5 hours as most hunts only last 5 hours a day doesn't do me or the hound any good if 4 hours after the hunt is called I am still out there trying to catch him or her.I have won several big time 3 day field trails with hounds that after 6 hours of hard running would not would not have made the cut but in those 5 hours that they were scored made me proud that I owned them.What I look for in a pleasure hound is completely different from that of my field trail hounds.I keep alot of hounds and I am god given lucky to be able to do so out of 30 running fox hounds 10 are what I consider to be 3 day hounds out of those 5 are what I consider outstanding 3 day hounds having won or placed high in all hunts they have been entered in.