Chufa p!ot.

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
How many plant chufa for turkeys? I just checked my plot and send the coons and turkeys have already dug up the chufa and eat it all ,how do you keep coons out and away?

Eggman

Twelve Pointer
How large was the plot? I have been planting chuff for several years and started with the same issues. First I had to make them larger. Second put out lots of seed. When you think you have to much double it! Last plant it deep. These are large seeds. They have lots on energy to sprout from being covered deep. Chufa loves nitrogen so give it plenty once it starts growing.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Another thing you can try is to soak seeds in water prior to planting. This will jump start germination.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
I usually give the land owner a 50lb bag he plants one plot but I couldn't find any this year. Anyone know of a place that carries chufa in the Raleigh area?

country

Ten Pointer
Ordered mine on nwtf website. It arrived in few days. Website price includes shipping. Discount if you are nwtf member. Very satisfied with it. Planted it at end of May. 6" tall already. Put out nitrogen this evening ahead of rain.

country

Ten Pointer
Coons and squirrels will get their share. Larger plot size and planting it heavy help offset that. I have one plot where it is a bit thin near edge due to the squirrels.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I order chufa from Hancock seed. You can grow chufa in small plots but the friggin squirrels will dig it up more than coons. Plant it deep is the best bet.

Bfoot130

Button Buck
df028d81e221af08fe46f645779b5324.jpg

This is my first year planting chufa and I am happy with results so far. Planted this first week of June.

country

Ten Pointer
Turkeys not messing with my chufa yet. First time I have planted it in this area. Figured they would be digging in it by now.
Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Pimpscoe

Eight Pointer
We planted 1 acre, as always the turkeys have cleaned it bone dry. Always seems to happen in Feb after a snow. Still have a few coming in, but nothing like before. Looked like land mines had been set every 6" inches. We doubled this year hoping to keep some around til season, not going to happen. Seems we have more coons digging this year also. Like all others have said, dig up a few spots and if you have turkeys around, they will find it.

country

Ten Pointer
I will try the potato rake idea. I've got 2 farms where I planted chufa for first time.

One farm turkeys are starting to build up. Got pictures of 4 gobblers in past few weeks in clover plot only 100 yards from chufa.

The other farm used to have a lot more turkeys so I planted chufa hoping to draw more back to area. Have 1 gobbler in woods near that plot on camera last week.

I have seen fields others have planted that look like they were covered in bream beds from all the turkey activity.

Hope they start using it soon. Would like to reap some rewards from my hard work on the plots.

Last edited:

25contender

Twelve Pointer
The first year we planted it we had to disc up the field for them to find it. After that, the past five years they start hitting it in late November. We started with a one acre field now we have 3 acres. We also have almost three times the birds we had back then. Right now almost all the cuffa has been eaten. The two fields look like the moon they have so many craters in them. Took these pics last week.

Last edited:

25contender

Twelve Pointer
We only turned ours once and it was in the fall years back. Couldn't tell you what the law is. Ours is normally gone by turkey season.

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Is turning over the plant considered baiting? I know someone who says it is and says you might as well throw corn out. :confused:

not sure in nc (dont think it is) but in SC it is expressly banned.

someone is right in terms of it being as good as corn. better cause the deer dont bother it as bad.

tom kelly is famous for his rants over lazy turkey hunters sitting on a chufa patch.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
I think there is a huge difference in planting chufa to attract more birds and hold them on the property than being a lazy turkey hunter and sitting on a chuffa field. Ours is normally gone before turkey season. I can tell you this we have way more birds that stay on the property all year long than we did before we started to plant it.
not sure in nc (dont think it is) but in SC it is expressly banned.

someone is right in terms of it being as good as corn. better cause the deer dont bother it as bad.

tom kelly is famous for his rants over lazy turkey hunters sitting on a chufa patch.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I think there is a huge difference in planting chufa to attract more birds and hold them on the property than being a lazy turkey hunter and sitting on a chuffa field. Ours is normally gone before turkey season. I can tell you this we have way more birds that stay on the property all year long than we did before we started to plant it.

25 i agree with you. if the shoe dont fit, dont wear it. :)

hog&deerhunter

Ten Pointer
Oh I have read Tenth Legion a number of times. He ain't too fond of deer hounds either! :D I did not know SC had restrictions on hunting over a turned up Chufa patch. Like other game, there is a fine legal line between baiting and "planting". Japanese Millet will pull ducks down like nobody's business. Basically bait growing in the water. Yep, I have hunted wood ducks over Japanese Millet years ago (about 25) and 2 guns limited out 3 days in a row. Hunted the same exact spot each morning. Don't know if throwing corn in the swamp would have been as effective.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Oh I have read Tenth Legion a number of times. He ain't too fond of deer hounds either! :D I did not know SC had restrictions on hunting over a turned up Chufa patch. Like other game, there is a fine legal line between baiting and "planting". Japanese Millet will pull ducks down like nobody's business. Basically bait growing in the water. Yep, I have hunted wood ducks over Japanese Millet years ago (about 25) and 2 guns limited out 3 days in a row. Hunted the same exact spot each morning. Don't know if throwing corn in the swamp would have been as effective.

He is hard on the deer boys for sure.

in one of his books he almost speculates that it may be fairer to the deer if you shot them at night versus sitting on a green field. :)

he is a master of the subtle dings.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
This year's chufa plot never germinated. Planted too late. I've never had one make it past January before it was cleaned up.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Is turning over the plant considered baiting? I know someone who says it is and says you might as well throw corn out. :confused:
In NC it isn't, SC you CAN NOT manipulate the plot at all or it is considered baiting. As far as hunting over it that is up to your personal ethics.

Last edited: