UNWELCOME Visitor In Our Driveway

Frostcat

Twelve Pointer
Went out a few minutes ago and had this unwelcome visitor in the driveway right beside the house.

000_0164.jpg

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I can't see his head!! Could it be somewhere else??:)

Very unnerving to have them that close.....makes you think before going out in the dark!!

Frostcat

Twelve Pointer
It's head IS there but you just can't see it from the way it's coiled up. My wife was out there dead-heading her roses last night right beside where it came from and I have an English Setter that likes to kill snakes (I have found the remains of some garter snakes she's had a hold of). It really is unnerving to think if it had been out when they were.

Last edited:

lbksmom

Banned
Yea, rattler, had one last week real close to home just shy of 6ft. @10" around What would you do with children in the neighborhood??

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Yep.. its funny, once you see a good sized rattler or moccasin, a lil ol black snake doesnt bother you at all..lol.

I have an old thread on here where we ran across a 4ft timber rattler down on the farm. Luckily only 1 so far in 4yrs.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Boojum

Ten Pointer
Don't see nearly as many of them as I used to. That one would have made a nice hide, I'd love to have a couple like that to put on the backs of self bows that I build.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
It is only listed as a a Concerned species which I dont think there is any problem will killing one though I wouldnt. The Eastern Diamondback is long gone from NC.
People claim to see them all th time but they are probably seeing canebrakes as an Eastern Diamondback has not been verified(by an expert) North of the Santee River in I think 15 years or so.

Last edited:

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
15A NCAC 10I .0102 PROTECTION OF ENDANGERED/THREATENED/SPECIAL CONCERN
(a) No Open Season. There is no open season for taking any of the species listed as endangered in Rule .0103, or threatened in Rule .0104 of this Section, except for the American alligator (Alligator mississipiensis) as set forth in the rules of this Chapter. Unless otherwise provided in North Carolina General Statutes or the rules of this Chapter, there is no open season for taking any of the species listed as special concern in Rule .0105 of this Section. Except as provided in Paragraphs (b), (c) and (e) of this Rule, it is unlawful to take or possess any animal listed in Rules .0103, .0104, or .0105 of this Section at any time.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well, when they're 20' off my back porch and striking at my dogs they're generally gonna end up dead. I don't care if it's a pterodactyl....

Attachments

• Timber.jpg
    Timber.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 0

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Well, when they're 20' off my back porch and striking at my dogs they're generally gonna end up dead. I don't care if it's a pterodactyl....
^^.... Anything venomous that is close enough to possibly be dangerous to me or someone else, I consider a threat. End of story.

And im gonna be farther away then pitchfork range...lol!
Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited: