Question about foxes

genbud78

Ten Pointer
A friend of mine has a family of foxes that come into her yard regularly. They come out at all times of night and day and don't seem to be afraid of anything. She is concerned for her children bc the foxes don't run from the kids. She has contacted the wildlife but they won't do anything about it. What are the legal options to deal with this?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That's a foxes nature, if they aren't aggressive there's a lot of entertainment in watching them (unless you raise chickens or other small animals).
We've interacted with several over the years and never had any act aggressively at all, only curious. They are still wild animals and the kids should be taught to set limits with their interactions with them, but as far as harming them or relocating them....it's not legal, nor a good idea unless they become aggressive. At that point a person can kill them under the current regulations.

manybeards

Ten Pointer
Foxes are one of natures most reclusive creatures and seeing them around humans during daylight hours should send up all kinds of red flags! Experts(not me) seem to think that this kind of behavior could be an indicator of possible Rabies. I wouldn't take chances with my Kids or Pets........

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If they have caused $50 worth of damage, you can get a depredation permit for trapping.

If they are an imminent harm to the family, you can shoot them, but you should be able to back up the claim.

Otherwise...super soaker, water hose, paintball, low power BB gun, slingshot....

As far as the behavior, they are typically very shy, but have been known to become desensitized to human presence. I have spoken with quite a few people who have seen a fox or a family of foxes on a regular basis within close proximity. Especially if they have a den nearby, which is likely the case.

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We used to have one that met me behind my car every morning when I left for work. It would just sit down in the driveway until I started backing out and then move to the side. That was a morning ritual until the family was poisoned by a neighbor who was concerned about his chickens, they never bothered mine up to that point but it was a concern. These were the little grey foxes not the taller and leggier red's which I understand are more human shy and are less frequently seen in our area.
They seem more curious about our behavior and would frequently just sit on the road and watch me water the garden, wash cars, ect..My wife would pop popcorn and the male would come and sit at the porch until she threw him some, not a good idea to do, but it shows that they are intelligent animals and do benefit by keeping down the rodent population.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Last year as I was walking to my stand, I passed an old empty horse pasture. There was a beautiful fox not 50 yards from me running full speed up and down the fence (about 25 yards each way). He stopped when he noticed me, watched me a minute, then chased his tail in a few circles and bounced off into the woods. Seemed to me he was just a enjoying the nice fall day....

Last edited:

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
We had a female red fox and entire litter (5), if that's what they're refereed to as, in my yard every day for a few weeks about a month ago. They were a little cautious, but I could walk out and they would just keep their distance. I told my wife that, although the rabbit population may be hurt, so would the mouse population around my house, all wooded area.
I enjoyed watching them. The little ones were as cute as could be playing around with each other. Roundball should have came over to take quality photos. Now, I just hope they hang around until Dec. I've never killed a red, just a bunch of greys.

manybeards

Ten Pointer
You might try messaging Quiet But Deadly....... He's a professional trapper and could likely be of some help.

dpoutdoor

Ten Pointer
Foxes are one of natures most reclusive creatures and seeing them around humans during daylight hours should send up all kinds of red flags! Experts(not me) seem to think that this kind of behavior could be an indicator of possible Rabies. I wouldn't take chances with my Kids or Pets........

Not true, depending on the situation it is normal for foxes to be out during daylight hours. I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I have been dealing first hand with rabies, and exposure to rabies for the past 14 years.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
They most likely had a den near by. By this time they should be pretty much grown and venturing out. We have had a den near the house for the past 3 years and they got pretty use to their surroundings. If you have seen them longer than a few weeks I would not worry about rabies.
Just foxes being foxes

We've had both reds and greys hang around near our house over the years. More greys than reds it seems. A few years back my dad and I were working on a go kart engine in our side yard when we heard a high pitched squeal. It was a cottontail being snatched up by a grey fox. We looked over at it and it looked at us and slowly walked back off into the woods. That same year we probably seen grey foxes four or five times a week. Pups too. My guess is she had a litter near by and while they were growing up they would enjoy watching what we were doing. After a few weeks of sightings, they all seemed to leave. A few years later we had a red fox den a few hundred yards out into a neighbors cow pasture. Everyday about sunset I could walk out and sit on the hill opposite of her/him and they would just sit there looking at me from about 100 yards out. I'f i'm being honest, it was a really cool experience in my book. I believe they were eventually killed by the landowner, because he was raising geese and was worried about them. If I were you, unless they persisted for a long time hanging around or showed prominent signs of being aggressive, I'd just enjoy one of natures curious creatures.

Last edited:

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
I am a trapper (obviously). If they are not acting aggressive, I would leave them be. Not sure if they are reds or grays. Reds are a lot less common because they are a prime target for our growing coyote population. Just have the kids keep a safe distance. I have seen foxes at all hours of the day, and it doesn't concern me unless they get aggressive. Then I take action. If you are having a damage issue (chickens, pets etc.) then you can get a depredation permit to shoot or trap, but you have to prove $75 in damage. Most WCO's I have met will write a permit pretty quick.....Have had to do it a few times for muskrat damage on ponds....

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns

This is not true. I've observed plenty of foxes during daylight hours, both in person and on camera. The idea that just because they're moving around during daylight hours means they're sick is an old wives' tale. As others said unless they're acting aggressive I wouldn't worry. If they really make you uneasy then harassment usually works well. As others have mentioned things like BB guns, paintball guns, firecrackers, etc... work well.

genbud78

Ten Pointer
738b94054058db4c5620b07159bac011.jpg

Here's the pic she sent me. I think they are interesting and wouldn't bother them but she has concern for her kids. They've not been aggressive that I know of.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They are just being young foxes in the "burbs". If she is truly concerned for the kids tell her to blast them then call the NCWRC 800 number and tell them what they did. They will be more than happy to come issue them a citation for harvesting them out of season. My guess they aren't really THAT concerned for the kids. Go to WalMart get a slingshot bust their butt a couple times and they will become "wild" much quicker.

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
This is not true. I've observed plenty of foxes during daylight hours, both in person and on camera. The idea that just because they're moving around during daylight hours means they're sick is an old wives' tale. As others said unless they're acting aggressive I wouldn't worry. If they really make you uneasy then harassment usually works well. As others have mentioned things like BB guns, paintball guns, firecrackers, etc... work well.

Isn't harassment illegal Charlie? Just asking because I thought it was. I know in Pennsylvania they can write you a permit to run elk off of your property if they are causing damage.....just didn't know you could harass wildlife here in NC.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Isn't harassment illegal Charlie? Just asking because I thought it was. I know in Pennsylvania they can write you a permit to run elk off of your property if they are causing damage.....just didn't know you could harass wildlife here in NC.
What they call harassment up there they just call getting them the hell out of the way here. They would probably have had a heart attack at some of the crazy things I have seen people set up to keep bears out of bees.

I have told them numerous times as long as they get a good HIGH OUTPUT, fence charger and they will not take it many times. You don't get lucky and BooBoo walk up and stick his nose on that fence, but when that fence gets BooBoo good enough to hear a resounding splat he usually decides to find his meal elsewhere.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I am a trapper (obviously). If they are not acting aggressive, I would leave them be. Not sure if they are reds or grays. Reds are a lot less common because they are a prime target for our growing coyote population. Just have the kids keep a safe distance. I have seen foxes at all hours of the day, and it doesn't concern me unless they get aggressive. Then I take action. If you are having a damage issue (chickens, pets etc.) then you can get a depredation permit to shoot or trap, but you have to prove $75 in damage. Most WCO's I have met will write a permit pretty quick.....Have had to do it a few times for muskrat damage on ponds....

^^^^this.......I would leave them be as well. if they are not being aggressive then they should do nothing.....

It is normal for foxes to be out in the daytime especially city foxes....also, g3, i have seen the red numbers plummet(since mid 90's) on every place i hunted once coyotes moved in but recently(last 5 years or so) i have started seeing reds in town more so then I ever used to see them in the country even before yotes. always been lots of greys here in Cary and raleigh(and also now yotes in the city) but i think the reds live better in the city now since while there are yotes here it is less than in the country and thus their big worry in the city is cars .

Last edited:

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
They are just being young foxes in the "burbs". If she is truly concerned for the kids tell her to blast them then call the NCWRC 800 number and tell them what they did. They will be more than happy to come issue them a citation for harvesting them out of season. My guess they aren't really THAT concerned for the kids. Go to WalMart get a slingshot bust their butt a couple times and they will become "wild" much quicker.

^^^this too.... also once those pups disperse they probably wont see them around much. when they are young they are gonna stay near the den. it just so happens to be near a house. I always found it funny that alot of people always say "i have this animal living in my yard!"
my response to them is usually, no actually you are living in THEIR yard. so imo they should leave them foxes alone. one gets agressive then bust it.

Last edited:

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
^^^^this.......I would leave them be as well. if they are not being aggressive then they should do nothing.....

It is normal for foxes to be out in the daytime especially city foxes....also, g3, i have seen the red numbers plummet(since mid 90's) on every place i hunted once coyotes moved in but recently(last 5 years or so) i have started seeing reds in town more so then I ever used to see them in the country even before yotes. always been lots of greys here in Cary and raleigh(and also now yotes in the city) but i think the reds live better in the city now since while there are yotes here it is less than in the country and thus their big worry in the city is cars .

I have caught reds and coyotes on the same property before, and a couple of times on the same day. But these were very close to the city limits. I think the reds are starting to adapt to some extent, but that is just a theory. Had a family set up a den in a culvert near Grandover resort near my Dad's house a couple years back. I think they raised 6 kits that year.....

Boojum

Ten Pointer
Those foxes aren't going to hurt a thing. They will actually help out by getting rid of rodents and snakes around her yard. Instead of teaching her kids to be afraid of them, she should encourage them to watch the foxes and learn about them and appreciate them for what they are. Too many people, especially in the suburbs, have an unreasonable fear of any wild animal, and the attitude that if an animal is living anywhere around their property, it needs to be eliminated just because it's there.

Foxes commonly hunt in the daytime, especially reds. And foxes will become tolerant of people easily, especially reds. I have a pair that raises a gang of pups around my house every year, and there is another den a mile or so away. I see the pups almost every afternoon on my way home from work. I find them quite interesting to watch.

Last edited:

genbud78

Ten Pointer
Just to clarify, she doesn't want to harm them or terrify her kids. She was concerned b/c of the abundance of daytime activity. I've seen foxes in the daytime but not very often so I figured I'd ask the crowd. I appreciate the info and will pass it along so she will be more educated about the critters she is seeing.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I have caught reds and coyotes on the same property before, and a couple of times on the same day. But these were very close to the city limits. I think the reds are starting to adapt to some extent, but that is just a theory. Had a family set up a den in a culvert near Grandover resort near my Dad's house a couple years back. I think they raised 6 kits that year.....
I think you might be on to something there, and the adaptations. We used to see reds quite often, but once the yote moved in they all but dissappeared. I've seen more in the last 18 months, than I did in the last 10 years.

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
I think you might be on to something there, and the adaptations. We used to see reds quite often, but once the yote moved in they all but dissappeared. I've seen more in the last 18 months, than I did in the last 10 years.

If only we had a fox trapping season. LOL.....I see grays everywhere I trap. Reds are closer to the burbs.....

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
Even in counties I can keep foxes, I try to release the reds, just because there aren't many of them. Especially after January 1st. They are usually pregnant by then, and definitely nursing by 2/1.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Another question about reds. A friend who I hunt with traps some and is a very good "outdoors man" has said part of the reds decline is they will use an old coyote den. He said that coyotes are a carrier of a type of mange that reds are susceptible to and that greys are not. Pretty sure mange is what he said. Anyone know if this is correct?

Edit: I just read that when reds are displaced by coyotes that Lyme disease also increases. The mice, etc. are carriers of Lyme disease and evidently coyotes don't prey on them as much as reds.

Last edited:

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
Another question about reds. A friend who I hunt with traps some and is a very good "outdoors man" has said part of the reds decline is they will us an old coyote den. He said that coyotes are a carrier of a type of mange that reds are susceptible to and that greys are not. Pretty sure mange is what he said. Anyone know if this is correct?

Edit: I just read that when reds are displaced by coyotes that Lyme disease also increases. The mice, etc. are carriers of Lyme disease and evidently coyotes don't prey on them as much as reds.

Again, I am no expert. Perhaps LDSoldier with his biology background can confirm. My understanding is that coyotes are the primary reason reds are declining. They are a canid, not a feline like a gray. As such, they cannot climb trees like a gray. Makes them easy prey for coyotes.

I can tell you that I have had both killed by coyotes when they are in a foothold.....

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Gray isn't a feline. It only looks like a feline and is the only canine in North America that has true climbing abilities.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Again, I am no expert. Perhaps LDSoldier with his biology background can confirm. My understanding is that coyotes are the primary reason reds are declining. They are a canid, not a feline like a gray. As such, they cannot climb trees like a gray. Makes them easy prey for coyotes.

I can tell you that I have had both killed by coyotes when they are in a foothold.....

First time I heard that. I'd have to do some research to say one way or the other. As far as grays being feline, Justin's correct. A lot of their mannerisms are more similar to felines than canines, but they are still canids.