insurance on atvs and boats?

flathead977

Ten Pointer
What's everybody"s opinion on carrying a separate policy on these items? Most people I know don't carry a policy on 4 wheelers and I am not sure if they do on their boats. I have it on both of mine. I have the 4 wheeler in the classifieds, mainly because I don't get to ride much ( less than 20-30 miles per year) and I pay about $200 insurance to let it sit in the shed most of time. Apparently home owners ins doesn't cover 4 wheelers like most people think it will. I am debating on cancelling the ATV insurance, but with my luck it would get stolen the next week.

double

Twelve Pointer
The only problem I have found from friends who have had and used atv insurance us they do not give you nearly enough to replace your ride if it is stolen.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
ATV definitely are not covered by homeowners policy. I know. I had one stolen and checked. I heard that you CAN get them to pay IF you can prove you use it around the house for yard maintenance, but that was not verified.

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
I have it on boat and atvs. If I roll it off the mountain, it's covered. If I run into a submerged rock, it's covered. Mine is fairly inexpensive, don't remember the number.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
ATV definitely are not covered by homeowners policy. I know. I had one stolen and checked. I heard that you CAN get them to pay IF you can prove you use it around the house for yard maintenance, but that was not verified.

That is what I was told by my insurance agent. He suggested taking pics of it in use for yard or other property maintenance.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I have it from nationwide.
Like others have thought they had it under home owners I found they dont cover it at all if not written in or you claim it for work or farm.
We read all the fine print and ins and outs of several companies. All said no for the normal home owner.
If it is used for hunting and riding never, if only used for work, farm, yard work then you could add to home owners.

What most do not know is if you do not have insurance on the ATV there is no coverage.
That includes you towing it or in your truck, it falls out or you wreck then there is no coverage onit if not a Auto-Atv coverage insuranse written.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Depends on the company, USAA used to insure everything, now they issue stuff like that through Progressive.