Gun Values, Appraisals ??

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Got a request for assistance from a family member trying to put a value on a lifetime accumulation of guns that were bought and used. It is not a large collection (less than 25 guns) and is a mixture of rifles, shotguns and handguns that are part of an estate and the person handling the estate has no idea of the value of them.

Is there someone in north central NC that would appraise such a collection for a reasonable fee?

EMB

Ten Pointer
Any retail legitimate gun dealer should be able to assist. The bigger issue will be what they offer you, as they usually go about 50% of what they can "retail" them for. There are some collectable shops around who can appraise for insurance needs as well. But most retail places will do as what I noted above.

rangerxp

Eight Pointer
best way is to get models and condition , go to gunbroker.com and see what similar guns are selling for .

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
QBD - Pick up "The Blue Book of Gun Values at your local book store. I have one, but it is a little old. If you want, I can get my dad's which is more recent.

it has a lot of good information for identifying different variations of guns. You would be amazed at the differences in some models. My Savage 99 is a prime example. If you want to call me to get the values I have, PM me....

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
QBD - I have a 34th edition "The Blue Book of Gun Values" that you can have,,,,,its a couple of years old but will give you an idea. Issue on any used firearm valuation is proper assignment of condition and then regional variations,,,,,,,,,,

most guns are worth LESS than what owners want for them,,,and MORE than most folks will want to pay for them!!!

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Could probably get a list and post it. Someone on here can give you good ideas on the retail, private sale, quick sale....sorta values.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I did not see that you want to sell, just that you need a value.

There are many values for guns, trade, consign, buy are the three big ones.
I know of no shop that will take the time to give you a full list of value, condition, and info for something you do not plan to sell to them.

To get a good value and write something up will take a lot of time and time away from sales.
Most will charge you 25 to 50$ for each gun.

If you want to sell them then you can call, make an appointment and carry them all in for them to offer or buy on all of them.

If you are trying to find a value to be fare on how you split them up to x number of family members than google will be your friend or guns American or the likes.

Keep in mined that you need everything with you at the time someone offers a value, it does not work to say it has 2 barrels or extras that are not there at the time.

If you take them to a shop and ask a value make sure they will pay that or what the value is.

You can carry them to a shop that would never take or will not buy them and assign a value that is too high and over current retail, then carry to another shop that will sell them or buy out them. They will tell you the prices you have are out of line and not even close that you wasted time talking to somone that would not back up a price with the cash to buy them.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Ed at Eds gun shop would likely give you a quote on them if you want to sale them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
if they are gonna be split up between family members( I dont know if there are ) then value maybe meaningless to some. give me dads 200 $ shot gun that he hunted with everyday before dads 1000 dollar gun he rarely used. but i guess non gun people in the will may want the valuable guns. Value to some is different.

Last edited:

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
QBD - I have a 34th edition "The Blue Book of Gun Values" that you can have,,,,,its a couple of years old but will give you an idea. Issue on any used firearm valuation is proper assignment of condition and then regional variations,,,,,,,,,,

most guns are worth LESS than what owners want for them,,,and MORE than most folks will want to pay for them!!!

This is true.....In some areas for example, Remington 760's or 7600's are at a premium, as are the Tikka combo (12GA/.222) than in other parts of the country. I know for certain both sell bro above book value in Pennsylvania. The first for bear hunters, the second for turkey hunters......

Lou

Eight Pointer
best way is to get models and condition , go to gunbroker.com and see what similar guns are selling for .

This is the ONLY way to go, and is my "go-to" method when I'm considering the purchase of any used gun.

Don't be intimidated, gunbroker isn't the most intuitive site but it's not that hard to use. What you want to do is to register, which I believe is necessary for you to use the advanced search features. You ABSOLUTELY want to check COMPLETED auctions, and then, once you have them listed, sort on the BIDS column. Disregard any auctions that ended with zero bids (obviously) and look at the guns that sold. Compare all of them to the gun you're trying to evaluate, and you'll have your answer regarding value. Usually there are a LOT more guns listed than actually SOLD, so stepping through the sold guns is pretty fast.

Good luck,
Lou