NC DU question

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i saw a bumper sticker today- NC DU #1 in nation - again

what would they be #1 in? raising money, members?

That is great just hard to imagine NC being the leading state in anything Duck related.

NC Quailhunter

Six Pointer
It could be anything from money to number of members to the number of acres being managed by them. There are a lot of demographics that are used. An example being NC ranks in the top ten for Quail Forever members in the country and the SENC Quail Forever chapter is in the top five in the country for total acres being improved.
This may help.

gone_huntin

Four Pointer
i saw a bumper sticker today- NC DU #1 in nation - again

what would they be #1 in? raising money, members?

That is great just hard to imagine NC being the leading state in anything Duck related.

I believe it's more than likely in regards to money raised for DU. If I'm not mistaken that's typically how DU nationally ranks chapters. I've been involved with a local chapter for about 6 months now and fundraising by donations or auction seems to be the objective of the events from what I can tell.

Avery Creek

Twelve Pointer
All of the "conservation organization" chapters are a means of raising funds for the national level. I was involved with DU for a number of years, was the chairman of our local chapter for several years. We would hold a "banquet" clear a couple thousand dollars after expenses and then write a big check to send to the National HQ. I know DU does some good things, but it was disheartening to put the work in to organize, plan and host an event and not get to use the money raised for local projects. I still make a donation every year and typically buy a Sponsor Table for an event usually once a year, but I am no longer a grunt to raise money that can't be kept for local, state or regional projects of the local chapters choosing, but rather sent in to a National HQ to be spent how they see fit.

To the OP, the decal you referenced is in regards to funds raised. NC is always at or near the top as a state for total funds raised.

Willie

Twelve Pointer
Understand the OP asked specifically about DU, but The Triangle Chapter (single chapter, not state of NC) of Delta Waterfowl is the third largest for money raised in the entire country. That's pretty impressive. And 25% of $$$ we raise goes toward our local projects...putting on military hunts, youth days, wood duck boxes, etc.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
,,,,,,, but The Triangle Chapter (single chapter, not state of NC) of Delta Waterfowl is the third largest for money raised in the entire country. ,,,,,,.

been to their oyster roast up that way,,,,,, nice event,,,,,,,,,as are the DU events up that way and in Moore county,,,,,,,,,but then any excuse to chow oysters!!

on the OP DU question - yeap, dollars raised,,,,,,,bunch of big spending folks here in NC for the dooocks,,,,,,,,

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
The DU and Delta projects ensure more ducks in the flyway. Delta and DU do nothing to ensure the people that raise the money for them have the right to hunt the ducks once they get to NC. the typical NC duck hunter can only legally hunt public water in one of the top 5 counties for waterfowl harvest. One of the top counties, Dare, has 1127 square miles of public water that you cannot hunt without a permit. Only a few locals have those permits. I have tried for years and cannot draw one. IT IS PUBLIC WATER. No one from Dare should be allowed to drive on 64 west of the Dare county line.