Acorns?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
In trying to answer my own questions concerning acorn crops i found the following:

"Pollen shedding will be greatly reduced if damp weather occurs when cankins are on trees resulting in a poop acorn crop."

"Freezing temps during the flowering period will kill the flowers resulting in a small acorn crop."

Didnt we have both last spring? Anyone have a feel for the acorns or lack thereof for this fall?

This article was my source.

https://extension.tennessee.edu/publications/Documents/W126.pdf

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It seems as if some of the oaks in my area re-bloomed after having all the initial blooms killed by the late hard freeze. There are quite a few acorns and persimmons on the trees this year, which is very surprising to me.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
It seems as if some of the oaks in my area re-bloomed after having all the initial blooms killed by the late hard freeze. There are quite a few acorns and persimmons on the trees this year, which is very surprising to me.

i have zero persimmons and pears which makes me fear that the acorns are in the same boat. sure hope not.

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I havent seen many acorns around the house but I havent looked at my spots. Persimmon trees are loaded for the most part but one that always out produces the others is nearly bare.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Havent seen much in acorns, but i need to look again as its been a few weeks since my last trip out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
I enjoy seeing this topic come up every year about this time. Many hope to see acorn trees loaded, but then complain later when they can't figure out why no deer are visiting their corn piles.
Just an observation.

Last edited:

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I enjoy seeing this topic come up every year about this time. Many hope to see acorn trees loaded, but then complain later when they can't figure out why no deer are visiting their corn piles.
Just an observation.

Yup, wont hurt my hunting either way but sure as heck can play hell for some

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
I have one spot that is pretty open with big oaks of all kinds but willow. They are hanging full, as are the local persimmon trees.

Last edited:

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I have 70 acres of the biggest and only oaks near me. The more acorns the more deer. All I have to do is see which side of the property the big ones are entering and it makes for a good season.

pir8rn

Six Pointer
QBD2, homebrew, and rook, what are you guys' normal routines in terms of scouting/baiting/general pre-season prep work, and how many/what types of deer do you normally take during a "good" season?

Not trying to start any argument here by any means, but you guys have made me curious. There are obviously two completely different school of thought here and it makes me wonder how different your hunting styles must be. If a couple of you hope for a poor acorn crop, and another wants a bumper crop, and you all harvest deer, then your techniques must be the difference making factor...

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
pir8rn, didn't notice the screename tell I typed it, I will be RN in December.
Depends on where you hunt and what your land offers. My favorite spot is 70 acres of oaks, pines have been thinned and I bow hunt 99% of season. All bordering properties are thickets surrounding mine and not huntable without serious cutting. No matter what trees are dropping, they have favorites but they still come onto the property from their beds on the same trail. They will enter the property the same, then meander to their favorite tree. Neighboring properties don't have an abundance of oaks, the more acorns I have, the more deer I get and the longer into the season I will see them.
I've had cameras over minerals since May, I bait a different property that has very few oaks. I will put corn on that property 2 weeks before season to see who I can fool, early season is one of your best chances to kill a mature buck over corn. I cleared lanes a little and hung lifelines on all my stand trees yesterday and checked cameras, I will be back within the next week to hang lock ons. I will use a climber to move in on deer if necessary. QBD2 knows his stuff and kills good deer. Good season is based off encounters for me but I bow killed a 4yr old on video and hunted 1 day with ML and killed what was at least a 3 year old, some say 3+ on video again, both last year. Neither deer score very much, one might be 120 but doubt it. I rarely have a 125+ deer on camera and I hunt very good areas but small tracts I know neighbors shoot bucks I pass with my bow but oh well. I am happy just to see a mature deer, I enjoy hunting them. During the rut, just get in tree a lot, especially around bedding.

Last edited:

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What few oaks I have left after 20 acres was clear cut for a longleaf pine plantation, are loaded with acorns

Last edited:

Eggman

Twelve Pointer
Acorns are always a plus on land I hunt. It seems the bucks are much more active in the hard woods when there is a good crop of acorns on the ground.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
QBD2, homebrew, and rook, what are you guys' normal routines in terms of scouting/baiting/general pre-season prep work, and how many/what types of deer do you normally take during a "good" season?

Not trying to start any argument here by any means, but you guys have made me curious. There are obviously two completely different school of thought here and it makes me wonder how different your hunting styles must be. If a couple of you hope for a poor acorn crop, and another wants a bumper crop, and you all harvest deer, then your techniques must be the difference making factor...

I hunt gamelands where much of it is loaded with oaks. Nearby, there is private land also loaded with oaks. During good acorn years, I don't see many deer. They don't have to move much to eat. They can stay on the private land and eat. During poor acorn years, there is far more deer movement so I see more deer.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns

It pretty much boils down to the fact that 95% of the timber we hunt is oaks. When you can't put your hand down anywhere in the woods without touching acorns, you don't see many deer. They stand up, eat, and lay back down.

It's very hard to hunt a deer that can eat a preferred food source anywhere, at anytime.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
It pretty much boils down to the fact that 95% of the timber we hunt is oaks. When you can't put your hand down anywhere in the woods without touching acorns, you don't see many deer. They stand up, eat, and lay back down.

It's very hard to hunt a deer that can eat a preferred food source anywhere, at anytime.

I agree, only reason it doesnt affect me is I mostly hunt pine thickets, so if there is a bumper crop i just go to the nearest oak and wait.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
The 'spotty crop' is preferred because it concentrates the deer into known areas. No acorns, or loaded with them, either way it's difficult.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just an observation.

Simple solution.... feed corn in the oaks, then you will have nothing to complain about!! They gots to eat something!

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
If you are hunting a small acreage of oaks, (70 acres), surrounded by thicketsthey bed in on all sides with very few oaks on any neighboring properties, more acorns are better. Those oaks your saying they don't have to go far for, are on my property. More acorns, the longer they will be on the ground and the longer deer come to my property even into the rut. No cornpile will deter them from acorns and its a waste of time at that point to put corn out. If I had a large property I would prefer otherwise but I dont.

Last edited: