Seeking feedback - Bear Hunting Opportunities Available Southeastern NC

Southern

Ten Pointer
I own/manage a few tracts in Southeastern NC that are overrun with bears. Most hunters do not realize that the SENC counties are very close in bear production to the NENC counties. It is different hunting in that we do not have as many big farm fields but when you look at the number of large swamps and unbroken tracts of 30,000- 50,000 acres each, it adds up to an burgeoning bear population. The bears are not quite as large as the Hyde County region on a consistent basis, but bear kills in the 650+ range are getting to be very common yearly with 450+ bears not even noteworthy anymore.

As many of you probably do know, our deer population in SENC has taken a tremendous beating in recent years. Our numbers are way, way down and I am convinced it is due partly to the bears. Now, it is normal to sit for a day and see 15-20 bears a day and one deer, not the other way around.

I am considering selling some bear hunts. I have no desire to become a full time commercial bear guide but would like to meet some new hunters, thin out the bear herd and generate some income while I am doing it. All of my hunts would be in the middle of and adjacent to approximately 40,000 acres of unbroken swampland/timberland "wilderness". Hunting would be out of large, custom condo stands over legal bait. I need to check regulations regarding bait this year. The NCWRC still has last years regs on the website. Last year we had 6 days of hunting over bait but I thought this year was supposed to be all season. Anybody with feedback on this?

These hunts would be somewhat "self guided" in that I will put you in the stand and be local to you while you hunt but you hunt on your own. I am not a bear tracker or skinner nor do I want to be so that is on you as well. I can assist with equipment to load into your vehicle.These hunts would be more reasonably priced than full guided hunts. What I want to offer is an excellent opportunity for the average guy to kill a bear but allow the hunter to hunt on his own. Lodging and food would not be provided. Lodging and cabins are available close by. The advantage of these hunts are the proximity to Raleigh, Jacksonville, Wilmington, etc so they are not a long morning drive for a one day hunt.

I am looking for suggestions and possible interest level from guys wanting to kill a bear without having to drive to the upper coastal region. What would appeal to you, # of days, "guaranteed" hunts for a larger fee or a more reasonable fee for a daily hunt that is non guaranteed, etc??

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! P.S I am also open to seasonal lease deals for $$, trades for cars, trucks, equipment, etc , >>>> I just need to kill some bears and want to generate something from it to help with my time and overhead. Will also be willing to trade bear hunts for construction related help. Need a good carpenter on several jobs in Wilmington area as well as Raleigh.

Last edited:

Southern

Ten Pointer
No, 100% owned by me. I do manage tracts for others but they all have leases on them. I am strictly talking about my land.

bgbuckdwn

I would love to kill a bear. How much and when? Count me in

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Treetall

Twelve Pointer
Your best bet is lease the bear rights to a bear dogger and his crew then you don't have any hassle of dealing with it.

Southern

Ten Pointer
Not interested in bear doggers. Have nothing against them, in fact I lease them land already on other tracts but for various reasons dont want to deal with them on these tracts.

bgbuckdwn

I would be interested in a pay to hunt or lease for bear whichever you would rather do. Don't have dogs so that's not an issue

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Its according to how fast you want to lower the numbers,there is a difference in still hunters taking 1 or 2 bear a day and dog hunters taking 3 or 4 a day.

Last edited:

Southern

Ten Pointer
Whats according to how fast I want to lower the numbers? Bear hunting with dogs is not an option here, period.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Whats according to how fast I want to lower the numbers? Bear hunting with dogs is not an option here, period.

Bear doggers are going to take more bear off a tract of land than still hunters,its not unheard of to sell dog hunts also,however if dogs are not an option on this tract of land its a moot point.

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
What ever you decide, keep us posted! Myself and Shotgunfan are highly interested!

Sent from.......wait....where am I?!

Southern

Ten Pointer
It is a moot point which is why it was not addressed in my initial post. Second I disagree about the doggers. I lease land to them and know them well. They do not turn out on enough bears due to size to kill more than a couple of still hunters on a given day. The doggers have gotten where they will not turn out on less than a 400 pound bear. While there are plenty of them around now, the chances of several still hunters spread out seeing large bears is greater than the dogs happening to come across a 400# track. Plus many still hunters will be thrilled with a 300 pound which my dog guys will not turn out on.

Last edited:

RJ1

Ten Pointer
It is a moot point which is why it was not addressed in my initial post. Second I disagree about the doggers. I lease land to them and know them well. They do not turn out on enough bears due to size to kill more than a couple of still hunters on a given day. The doggers have gotten where they will not turn out on less than a 400 pound bear. While there are plenty of them around now, the chances of several still hunters spread out seeing large bears is greater than the dogs happening to come across a 400# track. Plus many still hunters will be thrilled with a 300 pound which my dog guys will not turn out on.

I agree with you some bear doggers are to picky when it comes to bear size ,I myself do not allow bear that weigh less than 200lbs to be taken in front of my hounds only at certain times here in N.C. but for me it has more to do with not agreeing with the weight reg. the NCWRC has.I would suggest that you provide a place for hunters to skin their kills and maybe find a couple of guys that know how to skin a bear alot of people you will selling hunts to will have no idea how to skin a bear of course this would be at the hunters expense.

Last edited:

Southern

Ten Pointer
I agree totally with the skinning/handling of the bear for the clients. I was hoping a reasonable priced hunt would mitigate me having to do that, however!! The interesting thing is that in SENC, other than several large bear clubs, the bear "industry" is not big at all which makes it tough to find people who know how to guide, skin, track, etc. The bear numbers are just exploding and something really needs to happen or there will be no deer hunting left in that part of the state.

straightline

Ten Pointer
One of the biggest challenges if your selling hunts to one or two people is going to be after the shot. Getting a 300+ bear out of the woods and processed is a job especially if it is in an area that is not accessible. You shouldn't have a problem selling hunts.

Edit to add: If the hunts don't work out and you want to thin some out, have dogs & will travel[emoji6].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Southern

Ten Pointer
One of the biggest challenges if your selling hunts to one or two people is going to be after the shot. Getting a 300+ bear out of the woods and processed is a job especially if it is in an area that is not accessible. You shouldn't have a problem selling hunts.

Edit to add: If the hunts don't work out and you want to thin some out, have dogs & will travel[emoji6].

This is the single most reason I have never sold hunts. Where we are, if a bear runs off into a Carolina Bay, he may never be seen again. That being said, most bears I have seen shot dropped in their tracks.
I would try to qualify the hunters, knowing that anything can happen, but still want to know that shooters are experienced, rifles are sighted in and of a minimum caliber, etc. The stands are all in the middle of a jungle. They make for extremely exciting hunts since you can hear the bear coming before you can see him. Shots are close, within 30-50 yards. A well placed shot with a .30 caliber or above would hopefully keep them from running too far. I know the bear dog guys use portable winches to winch them out of the woods, not sure I want to work that hard at it...

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I would definitely be interested, been wanting to do a hunt but cant afford to drop $2000 on a hunt.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
This is the single most reason I have never sold hunts. Where we are, if a bear runs off into a Carolina Bay, he may never be seen again. That being said, most bears I have seen shot dropped in their tracks.
I would try to qualify the hunters, knowing that anything can happen, but still want to know that shooters are experienced, rifles are sighted in and of a minimum caliber, etc. The stands are all in the middle of a jungle. They make for extremely exciting hunts since you can hear the bear coming before you can see him. Shots are close, within 30-50 yards. A well placed shot with a .30 caliber or above would hopefully keep them from running too far. I know the bear dog guys use portable winches to winch them out of the woods, not sure I want to work that hard at it...

You may want to start off doing party hunts first with 4 or 5 guys,a do it your self hunt is exactly that hunters have to get the bear out as thing progress along you may want move into single hunter hunts.I take few disabled and wounded warriors bear hunting on our farm every year very seldom do we have to drag one over 150 yards before we are on a 4 wheeler path but its taken me years to get it set up that way.

Last edited:

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

Exactly,

I hope you kill every last one of them.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
As far as "do it yourself" and legal baiting, how would that work? Would you bait for the hunters a predetermined time ahead of their hunt? Or is it their responsibility to bait?

I could see you as a BUSY person if you are baiting ahead of hunters in an area with lots of bears. Bait won't last long.

I like your idea of the common mans' bear hunt/lowering bear #'s in your area. I just can't figure how it won't consume you into near about a full time job lol.

lwpruitt

Spike
I agree with a couple here a dog hunter will take 3 times the bear a still hunter will, and if a bear is not shot properly he will run off and never be found.and someone said bear are loud coming into a stand,lol naw a bear is as quit as a mouse and will look rt at you ever time.also have you tried to get a dead 300 pound plus bear out of the woods 2 guys want do it alone.I hunt sount eastern nc and its tough along with the cotton mouths if you get a warm day. some blocks we take a bear early 8/9 am and its dark getting it out so its something to think about. and once a bear knows you are hunting a stand he becomes a night feeder and thats it most bear feed in the middle of the night check your camers if you need anything drop me a line ...good luck