Tropical Threat Thread

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
I have to send a company truck from Burlington, NC to Swansboro, Nc. Most of the route will be on I40 then turn off on 17 to Swansboro. Anybody know if I40 is open all the way to Newbern?

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Greenville isn't shut down yet, but as of 5pm tomorrow, all 3 bridges that cross the Tar River will be shut down.

yeah but not sure you can get out of Greenville to get anywhere else......I know I saw all routes our of Kinston are shutdown t some point........you can make it as far as Snow Hill on 58, and maybe to Goldsboro or somewhere like that on 70. I would imagine Greenville is as bad or worse. Looks like 264 is closed around Pactolus.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I have to send a company truck from Burlington, NC to Swansboro, Nc. Most of the route will be on I40 then turn off on 17 to Swansboro. Anybody know if I40 is open all the way to Newbern?

40 is closed east of the 95/40 intersection.............

And US 70 is closed in numerous places.

Last edited:

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Dang guys hope everyone is fine. I am in Fayetteville and we got hammered I mean Hammered here. I know we had 14+ inches of rain. Roads are closed everywhere from Fayetteville Hopemills Etc. Lots of breached Dams in the area. Water where I haven't seen water in 30+ years. No photos been to busy cleaning up everything. Thanks to God not many fatalities and some property damage but that can be fixed.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I just got internet back today. Power came back on yesterday evening. We faired pretty well, considering. No trees down, but some water over our neighborhood roads and a number of yards flooded out. My folks in Elizabethtown got hit pretty hard. Lots of trees down, and their road to town washed out, which also broke the water line and brought down the power lines. Sounds like Bladen County and Cumberland county were the hardest hit.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I lost phone/internet last night, just came back on after lunch today. Duke feeds a substation to Tideland that affects several thousand in my area, no word on when we'll get power back yet. I've got two gensets, a large one that I use to keep fridge and freezer cold and a smaller one for TV/Internet. Don't think I've used 5 gallons yet. Very little damage here but more water than I've ever seen standing. Got up this morning and it was pretty much all gone, I'll probably be mowing all the leaves toward the wood lines tomorrow. Ready for a hot shower, been heating water on the grill!

Last edited:

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
Heading towards 72 hours no power, starting to get smells I haven't wiffed in a few years..:)

Harpoon

Reporter from The Weather Channel said short time ago it took him 6+ hours to drive from RDU to Lumberton....said he now thinks NC has received the brunt of the storm and people dont realize how bad it is.

Showed footage of I95 closed, far as you could see....water.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
It took the in laws 4:15 to get from Roxboro to Little River SC. They left at 11:30 this morn, 40 to 17, no issues. It's usually a 4 hr trip, give or take.

DC-DXT

Twelve Pointer
Yeah when Cantore shows up in your town its usually bad news lol....

Downeastnc - I'm in the mountains currently and was hoping to get home tomorrow (Winterville). I normally take 264 Wilson/Farmville into Greenville, then take Allen Rd, Mall Drive, to Memorial. Possible for me to get home tomorrow?? Thanks in advance. Trying to decide if I should spent another night or 2 in the mountains.

Anyone in Wilson??? 264 passable through Wilson headed to Greenville? Thanks in advance.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Downeastnc - I'm in the mountains currently and was hoping to get home tomorrow (Winterville). I normally take 264 Wilson/Farmville into Greenville, then take Allen Rd, Mall Drive, to Memorial. Possible for me to get home tomorrow?? Thanks in advance. Trying to decide if I should spent another night or 2 in the mountains.

Anyone in Wilson??? 264 passable through Wilson headed to Greenville? Thanks in advance.

Sorry man your not getting home that way...I know someone who tried and failed to get to Wilson today, I am sure there are back roads that can get you here but I dont know the Wilson area well enough, you might be better off going south to Kinston and then trying to get up here that way....

https://www.facebook.com/steve.brantley.54/videos/10208924581405846/

Last edited:

JD1107

My brother traveled in from Raleigh (route 540) this morning and had to take two detours to get to Greenville. I know he got off 264 before bill Ellis's house (42) went through Wilson and then got back on 264 from highway 58. If you have maps on your phone it should show ya which roads are closed and different routes to take. There is another detour in Farmville where you leave the highway then come back on. It is possible to make it back just will take some time. Safe travels when you do!

Redneck Rocker Dude

Old Mossy Horns
We got about 12" of rain in my part of Scotland county. The golf course I work on is pretty much under water. Luckily I'm on fall break today and tomorrow so I've been able to help clean up the damage at work and around here. Rode to pembroke last night and it was shocking, I can only imagine lumberton. We lost power at 9 am sat morning and just got it back today about 6:30. We were very lucky. My sister lives in Greenville, crazy the flooding going on up there. Prayers for everyone effected and for all the crews working around the clock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
We got about 12" of rain in my part of Scotland county. The golf course I work on is pretty much under water. Luckily I'm on fall break today and tomorrow so I've been able to help clean up the damage at work and around here. Rode to pembroke last night and it was shocking, I can only imagine lumberton. We lost power at 9 am sat morning and just got it back today about 6:30. We were very lucky. My sister lives in Greenville, crazy the flooding going on up there. Prayers for everyone effected and for all the crews working around the clock.

Saw ducks and geese swimming on 18 fairway about the end of the "ditch" that separates the 10 and 18 fairways at Scotch Meadows. Water was down some from last night about 7:45. 3 guys on our rescue squad went to Lumberton tonight, I think to give some of them a break. About an hour later a request for a boat was paged to any fire/rescue in our county for a water rescue in Robeson county. Don't know the details. Kind of ironic. But we do have more than 1 powered boat.

Last edited:

Davis1613

Spike
Lumberton has no power or water. Shut the water off to hospital yesterday. Cell service has been spotty no data at all , people have no water or gas. It's bad

Harpoon

Who trains the swift water rescue teams?

Is it a national association and are they are required to go somewhere and train, pass tests?

Are they based out of local paid FD's only, and roughly/ballpark how many in NC are there?

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Who trains the swift water rescue teams?

Is it a national association and are they are required to go somewhere and train, pass tests?

Are they based out of local paid FD's only, and roughly/ballpark how many in NC are there?

the middle link isnt in NC but it looks like a good one the other two are in NC.....Google, swift water rescue NC there are more than I thought...

https://noc.com/lessons-training/swiftwater-rescue

https://noc.com/lessons-training/swiftwater-rescue

http://rescuenc.com/

Last edited:

Redneck Rocker Dude

Old Mossy Horns
Saw ducks and geese swimming on 18 fairway about the end of the "ditch" that separates the 10 and 18 fairways at Scotch Meadows. Water was down some from last night about 7:45. 3 guys on our rescue squad went to Lumberton tonight, I think to give some of them a break. About an hour later a request for a boat was paged to any fire/rescue in our county for a water rescue in Robeson county. Don't know the details. Kind of ironic. But we do have more than 1 powered boat.

Luckily the creek is coming down quickly. At least we can get down 10 cart path though. I go back to school tomorrow though so these fellas will be down a hand.

treestock

Four Pointer
For those familiar with Fuller's in Lumberton and haven't seen it on the news, etc., looks like the water is half way or higher up the entrance. Bad enough that Jim Cantore was there. I can say that we, at least in Scotland County, are very lucky!!! Down trees, power outage, but it would have been a lot worse if the storm had moved inland.

FEMA is in town also. They got it the worst evacuated 1500 more last night. It's a mess in downtown Lumberton and anywhere by the river. For the most part the outlying rural areas are just lacking power some small towns got power and the lands relatively dry considering

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
We live at the headwaters of the Lumber River and it's raging at levels I've never seen before (since 1981 when I first came to NC) so can easily see how lumberton got and is getting hammered

Last edited:

Harpoon

Talked to someone I know down East....not flooded in his trailer park, but no power, no water or ice, no money/atm and local places running low on food....cant get out, no gasoline.

Hes disabled and doesn't have much.

Probably thousands, maybe tens of that are in same shape that will be crossing the line to serious trouble in the next few days.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Talked to someone I know down East....not flooded in his trailer park, but no power, no water or ice, no money/atm and local places running low on food....cant get out, no gasoline.

Hes disabled and doesn't have much.

Probably thousands, maybe tens of that are in same shape that will be crossing the line to serious trouble in the next few days.

There is a silver lining for these stranded folks in eastern NC. We have been here before and the authorities know exactly where the isolated people are. It should go fairly well this time given the circumstances.