PA elk hunt applications open to July 31st

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
[video=youtube;3C3aUznRXS8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C3aUznRXS8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
I've got at least 10 PP. Dad's camp is in the center of elk country. Last time I was up I saw more elk than deer. If you get drawn, you will kill a nice one. I apply for bull only

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
If anyone draws a tag, let me know. I can point you to some good areas in and around Driftwood/Emporium. Good luck on the draw!

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
If you draw, send me a message. You may want to get your archery tag too. I can give you some spots to get a mountain deer. Tough hunting, but a lot of fun....

PG2

Ten Pointer
I have been in the draw since they started the whole thing. For non-residents don't hold your breathe for a tag. They have been drawing an average of 2 non-residents a year, they first started out reserving a portion of the tags for non-residents according to the proportion of general license sales. I have a camp in McKean county and my family as been up there since 1950....

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
I have been in the draw since they started the whole thing. For non-residents don't hold your breathe for a tag. They have been drawing an average of 2 non-residents a year, they first started out reserving a portion of the tags for non-residents according to the proportion of general license sales. I have a camp in McKean county and my family as been up there since 1950....

Where about in McKean County? Dad's camp is in Driftwood, Cameron County, but we traveled through McKean a lot heading up to Canada. Our camp has been there since 1970, but my Grandfather started hunting up there in 1921. Sadly, he is no longer with us....

Trying to remember the name of the hunting store we used to stop at to get licenses. Somewhere in Port Allegheny?

Last edited:

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
I remember a few years back sitting in Wee Bulls Pub and seeing a herd of 30 elk in the playground fence across from 555. Watched them through the window for an hour (and a beer or two).

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
I remember a few years back sitting in Wee Bulls Pub and seeing a herd of 30 elk in the playground fence across from 555. Watched them through the window for an hour (and a beer or two). Okay, maybe 3 or 4 LOL

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
Man I miss it up there. Just haven't been able to make the trip in the past couple years. Last trip my buddy and I walked up within 30 yards of two monster bulls. He is a long time guide with time in CO and Canada. He could cow call with his mouth. Up off of Ridge Road.

deerslayer60

Ten Pointer
The game commision released elk several years ago behind my grandmas tje holding pen was about 500yds behind her house in clinton county.Drove through all those small towns you mentioned many times driftwood bennezette on my way to other grandparents in dubois.Played alot of football and baseball in emporioum .Havent been back home in 23years I moss it too

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
The game commision released elk several years ago behind my grandmas tje holding pen was about 500yds behind her house in clinton county.Drove through all those small towns you mentioned many times driftwood bennezette on my way to other grandparents in dubois.Played alot of football and baseball in emporioum .Havent been back home in 23years I moss it too

Ever been to Denny's Beer Barrel Pub in Clearfield?

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
When I lived in Atlanta, I had to fly into Dubois.....Only bad time was during a Penn State game weekend LOL....

deerslayer60

Ten Pointer
No havent been there but my custom built 308 came from Grices gun shop in Clearfield dad had it built in 1968 by the owner I think his name was Jimmy Grice

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
No havent been there but my custom built 308 came from Grices gun shop in Clearfield dad had it built in 1968 by the owner I think his name was Jimmy Grice

Grice's is awesome, been there a few times. Checkout Denny's. Tons of wing and pizza options and a burger challenge is offered as well! I miss Gramone's (The Big G) in Emporium. Checked in my first buck decent buck there in 1991 or so......Love that part of the state.....

Jack's PA

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

I was born in McKean County. (Moved to Raleigh in 1964 when dad worked for Corning.) I still try to get up there every couple of years to hunt with cousins. We hunt up in Rew.

Where is your camp?

Last edited:

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
I was born in McKean County. (Moved to Raleigh in 1964 when dad worked for Corning.) I still try to get up there every couple of years to hunt with cousins. We hunt up in Rew.

Where is your camp?

Driftwood. We hunt east branch of Hick's Run, along the Pepper Hill Trail off of Ridge road, and the mountainside west of Driftwood. We used to hunt lick island run, but dad is getting older, and that is some steep climbs!

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
Dad used to hunt long range for deer and bear from the lookouts in Montour Run, but getting game out of there is too tough for him. Some big deer and bears were taken from between 330-880 yards from those lookouts

PG2

Ten Pointer
We have a couple of camps right outside of Kane. I make the trip for the late MZ season every year and we have been going up for spring turkey the last 6-7 years now too. Before I moved down here we would go up every weekend in the fall turkey season, hunt Saturday and then cut wood Sunday getting ready for the deer seasons..... I can remember when we could not go int0 the woods before 9 am, same as small game hunting.... I also remember as a kid we would go up there for a week in the summer and spotting deer at night it was nothing to spot 100 deer in a single field...

Last edited:

deerslayer60

Ten Pointer
I know its off topic but have you guys trout fished up there?When I was growing up it was as good as it gets.a few of my favorites were kettle crick.young womans crick.cooks run .paddys runand brewery run just to name a few.and yes I said crick thats how we always said it hahaha