New purchase ….New farm!!

tra_cline

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Seams like every time I walk around this property I find a new prize!! No way to know when it's from but it's coolNess is without question..

Megan and I were nosing around couple of the rock overhangs today and found this rock cave with a small spring coming out of the rock. As I walked back into the rock around 15' I found this shovel left behind.... it was very evident someone long ago had chiseled and shoveled out the crevices looking for goodies!!! Loving get the history this place is giving up!!

Last edited:

tra_cline

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Got some paint on the walls and started staining the boards for the trophy wall. Had gutters installed this weekend also. Sowed and strawed the yard again, Installed water heater and shower trim.

tra_cline

Ten Pointer
Contributor
What kind of boards are you using for your trophy wall?
They look nice!

They are called Novelty boards they have a wide face with a scoop at the top groove. They are used as exterior storage building siding mostly. .69$ a board foot so it's really cheap to use. Got some waste due to end cracks on boards but for the cost they work.. I'll have them nailed up next weekend!

tra_cline

Ten Pointer
Contributor
So we are still planning on staining the majority of the concrete floor. But we wanted to try and get the bathroom useable so I installed some of the solid vynial snap lock flooring. It is waterproof and went down well.

Worked on the wood wall, called it at this point, Got to get in gear finishing the Lav top.

KY turkey season opens next weekend so may ease up on work for the weekend!

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Ha...you get that flooring at lowes? We building a new house right now here and I have my eye on that flooring for my house. It looks rustic and that is what we looking for. Nice work.

tra_cline

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Yep, we liked the Single board look. It's blue ridge pine. Snaps easy when scored with razor. Actually pretty good right now guess I'll see how it holds up.

tra_cline

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Finished up the wood wall.

Lots of rain lately but some Guys liking it!

Soon to be coon buffet

Gotta get the floor done so I can start trim work. And I am so far behind on spaying and working on plots is embarrassing! Got dozer coming by this week to improve couple wet spots and push a new small plot. Also gonna have him push a fence line to make walking into a stand effective...

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
You're a machine. Putting in lots of sweat equity. Congrats and keep it up. You are inspiring others who are close to making that leap of faith themselves I am sure.

Ncfish001

Four Pointer
I have really enjoyed watching your project, thanks for sharing pictures. I'm curious, is the house your building on the farm or on the house lot you talked about? Why are you building two places? Are you considerin moving there full time at some point? And when is the pond going in? Sorry for all the questions but I'm probably not the only one living vicariously through you! You two have accomplished a lot in one year!

tra_cline

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Land is inexpensive there compared to NC comparison. I bought the farm 1st. Then because of land features and a county water easement cost found it cheaper to buy a house lot which is .4 of mile from my farm than install utilities on the farm. For what I would have paid in water, power, septic- I bought house land and installed all utilities on our house lot. So that's why we have 2 separate spots. I can see my farm from our front windows.
As far as moving - not happening in next 5 years.
Pond is in at farm, was there when we bought it. Just scrapped around on it some to clean it up. Small type stock pond more less. About 4' deep in middle when full, no fish in it. Better described as a large water hole than pond. Like I said I'm rediculess far behind on land work. It will be a better place in 3 years.
I had full intentions on having a nice storage building installed on farm by now just falling short on time. Hope this answered your question Thanks so much for the interest!!!!!!

Last edited:

Ncfish001

Four Pointer
That makes sense now. Great house and look forward to seeing the pictures as you continue to progress. Throw a few bass and brim in the water hole and see what happens!

tra_cline

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Sprayed the larger plots on Saturday turned them sunday morning and sprayed the turned ground again. Ordered 200lbs of beans and 50lbs of IC peas. For these 2 plots.... going next weekend to plant them.

dirt fluffed like pillow stuffing!

these are of the plots from top of stand

Massey 135 does good 6' disk

Megan spraying she says she doesn't have to worry about messing it up....

Last edited:

tra_cline

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Small clover plot. 1/4 ac... The Rye and Wheat was matured out so Meg took weed eater and cut grains down. Clover looks better than picture shows. Gonna mow it next weekend, no rain schedule this week.

tra_cline

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Not every improvement is as chart shattering or visually impressive as others, but it has finally dried out enough to get couple loads of stone down on a trouble area on the entrance road through my farm. Also added little more parking area at the house before I got the grass growing good.

tra_cline

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Made it!! Weather was calling for rain Saturday and did not disappoint. Was able to get in almost 4 a.c. of beans 300lbs and topped that with a 50lb sprinkle of IC peas.. All hand broadcasted; might have had a high speed towing accident with the spreader coming from House to Farm.. FYI yard spreaders are not rated for 35mph the wheels will come off!! Haha
Got lucky on this rain, started about 6 and lasted all night till around 4 this morning. Seeds should be set in good. With some weather help Maybe I'll have a better plot than last year.
Also refreshed 3 camera spots from last year and set 2 camera....

tra_cline

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Got around to working on our vanity top coming along for a woodworking rookie... Cherry slab.

Little cherry stain (3coats)

3rd coat of urethane 2 more to go, 320 sanded on this coat.

Hope to have it all put together in next week, ordered the kitchen cabinets this weekend through the Lowes memorial day sale. And ordering appliance package this weekend. Also bought the concrete floor stain and sealer. If I'm lucky it'll turn out something like the store sample.

tra_cline

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Stained the concrete floors this weekend.
Checked a camera.
Hung camera on another trophy rock/mineral site.
Checked in on beans, and looked at a few acorns..

scrubbing and mopping concrete prep

mid 1st under coat spraying

After full 1st color spraying

After accent color was added still needs sealing which is what I'm waiting to do today. The streaks and blotches show a lot worse in pictures. Hoping the sealer Will blend it in.

Sealer is down on way home guess we will see how it looks next weekend!

Last edited:

tra_cline

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Beans are kicking after 2 weeks!

This is the mineral site I got the wide 9 on last year. He lives in this small creek drainage. Last picture of him was late Jan 2017. Can't wait to see what he's growing into this year...

Acorns aren't to shabby if a drought doesn't get them!

Got this one in yard of house. Having deer in yard is the normal for a lot of people but I can't tell ya how much this excited Megan and I!

Thanks for the interest and looking at these posts!!!!

Last edited:

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
The sealer will make a huge difference in your floor. At least it did on my front porch. You have done a lot of work up there and it looks good. Price of real estate is going up in most places too. I believe you made a good investment.

tra_cline

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Good to hear on the sealer, really was nervous about half way through. Still not over the moon with it, hope the sealer helps!
The listing prices are closing in on 1700 - 2200 an acre in this area for raw land. The neighboring states are all close to double this for comparable farms. As much of the work on the house as we have done our selves We will be in it right for resale.

tra_cline

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Was able to head up a day early this week. Took truck load of cabinets, and with a hope and prayer got them stuck up.... shimmed level and plumb. Only hickup was the microwave combo. Electric rough was 3" low so had to fir it out.

Bought an appliance suite during the Memorial day sale at Lowes. Should work out well for a hunting house.. Still debating the counter tops, I would love to make some black walnut slabs like I did the vanity top. Just not sure I want to wait 6 more months for it to be ready!

Last edited:

tra_cline

Ten Pointer
Contributor
June pictures of couple growers....

This guy making a showing for a 15 day growth (same deer split 2 pictures)

Doe that's been staying in backyard of house, keep waiting on fawn to show up....

tra_cline

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Beans that I planted couple weeks back. One spot in fields that has some weeds... pretty good stand right now, from tops the deer are liking them....

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I think those cabinets are beautiful....love the wood grain in them.
Great place you have there Travis!

sent from...... Tapatalk