Christianity 101

seminolewind

Not at all. No intent toward neglect. Rather a distillation process to see the difference between those peripheral doctrinal issues and core beliefs on which our faith is founded. Ask yourself which of the doctrines divide the body and which strengthen... Which are crucial to your salvation and which are simply interesting.

Native Slayer Propel 13
Raymarine DepthFinder/GPS
Mainly lower Cape Fear
NCKFA - River Watch

Well, I did not know I could pick and choose which scriptures I wanted to believe, follow, enforce, etc....... That sure does make it much simpler. All joking aside, this point is mentioned in this thread before. Things which are salvific take precedent. Things that are not salvific are no less important (as you say) but still require much study. To say that only the salvation parts are ________ (fill in as you desire), really is just code word for Antinomianism...

chuck34

Button Buck
Beg pardon. You seem to miss my direction.

Not to say they are not worthy of consideration or study. Rather that is a shame we use them to divide.

Not sure where you think I'm coming against "law" as implied by the reference to antinomianism... I'm merely saying that rather than to take a "stand" on a non-salvic point of doctrine instead of a "position" we might focus on those things that are universally accepted as foundations of the faith. I look to the Nicene and Apostle's creeds as sources thereof.

Of course, nothing trumps the Word of God. Nothing. Picking thru, discounting sections or even proof-texting are a very slippery slope.

Pretty sure that if we were having the conversation in person we would have little about which we disagree.

Native Slayer Propel 13
Mainly lower Cape Fear
NCKFA - River Watch

seminolewind

Agreed. In the end we would simply agree to disagree. But understanding the interpretational differences is fundamental to even have a discussion. Ask 30 Christians what the Gospel is and see the variances? Ask about law v grace and see the variances. Have the discussion with non Christians and see the variances. Makes for good entertainment. Enjoy and have a good evening....

DFisher

Eight Pointer
this thread has been intriguing, and I am always interested in the thoughts of Atheists and Agnostics. I am Christian, and true to form, believe it to be the only option, and the Holy Bible to be completely true. I have always thought that it would be proven in the end to be true. This week in studying to teach a sunday school class this morning, I was directed at Romans 14:11, which says "As surely as I live, says the Lord, every knee will bow before me; every tongue will acknowledge God." Because of my faith and belief, that tells me that in the end, even the Atheists and the Agnostics will see clearly what I know to be true, although perhaps too late. I do acknowledge that if you don't believe the book, then that scripture doesn't hold water, but in my world, and with all due respect to others, I believe the time will come when, if you don't believe now, you truly will then. If I, and many others, are wrong, it will have no effect on those that don't believe, but if we are right, well .................

seminolewind

this thread has been intriguing, and I am always interested in the thoughts of Atheists and Agnostics. I am Christian, and true to form, believe it to be the only option, and the Holy Bible to be completely true. I have always thought that it would be proven in the end to be true. This week in studying to teach a sunday school class this morning, I was directed at Romans 14:11, which says "As surely as I live, says the Lord, every knee will bow before me; every tongue will acknowledge God." Because of my faith and belief, that tells me that in the end, even the Atheists and the Agnostics will see clearly what I know to be true, although perhaps too late. I do acknowledge that if you don't believe the book, then that scripture doesn't hold water, but in my world, and with all due respect to others, I believe the time will come when, if you don't believe now, you truly will then. If I, and many others, are wrong, it will have no effect on those that don't believe, but if we are right, well .................

Well, from a Reformed Protestant view, people who don't see what we see aren't suppose to see it (not yet anyways).... Ultimately, God works in mysterious ways that we just can't explain?

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

I think the context for that passage in Romans 14 is Paul simply quoting Isaiah 45:23.

When Jesus returns and reigns on this earth, every person and nation will bow the knee to Him. It's important to note that this isn't about unbelievers acknowledging the existence of God (that's already hardwired in us) or the administration of eternal Judgment (that will come later) this is about earthly, physical submission to God's authority, and it will be forced upon people/nations with the rod of iron if necessary.

The existence of God is not in question and atheist, agnostics and unbelievers by any designation aren't fooling anyone, including themselves.

DFisher

Eight Pointer
I think the context for that passage in Romans 14 is Paul simply quoting Isaiah 45:23.

When Jesus returns and reigns on this earth, every person and nation will bow the knee to Him. It's important to note that this isn't about unbelievers acknowledging the existence of God (that's already hardwired in us) or the administration of eternal Judgment (that will come later) this is about earthly, physical submission to God's authority, and it will be forced upon people/nations with the rod of iron if necessary.

The existence of God is not in question and atheist, agnostics and unbelievers by any designation aren't fooling anyone, including themselves.

While I understand your theory, and I am on your side, how can you say "The existence of God is not in question?" If it is not in question, it seems there would be no atheist or agnostics. It certainly is not in question for me, but others will argue. As a preacher at a church where I used to attend would say, "they have the right to be wrong."

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
While I understand your theory, and I am on your side, how can you say "The existence of God is not in question?" If it is not in question, it seems there would be no atheist or agnostics. It certainly is not in question for me, but others will argue. As a preacher at a church where I used to attend would say, "they have the right to be wrong."

Creation is evidence of God (Romans Chapter 1) and we are a part of creation. A righteous God would never condemn someone to Hell if they couldn't freely make the choice to reject God. It goes completely against God's nature for it to be any other way. Science and technology prove the existence of God everyday, and it's becoming less and less of an act of faith to believe in Creation.

Secondly, everyone believes there is a right and wrong (moral law), and if you work backwards from that universal truth using logic and reasoning, you end up with the undeniable fact that there is an eternal source for establishing what's right or wrong (a law giver) and the overwhelming evidence of who that source might be is the God of the Bible.

I have no gift for apologetics, but that branch of theology will answer all of the big questions about God if someone has ears to hear the truth. But, no amount of truth, facts, logic or reasoning will convince the nonbeliever that's already made up his mind. He has already rejected truth - he just won't admit it.

As you stated, everyone has the "right" to believe what they want, but that has absolutely no effect on reality or the truth in any way, shape or form.

Last edited: