Who uses poppers for drum?

Willie

Twelve Pointer
Popping corks are the "newest fad" to catching the big drum in the sound. Not really new, the guys that fish regularly for them have been using them for two or three years or more.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Gulp mullet under a popping cork are deadly for big redfish, as are many different lures. We've used popping corks for many species of saltwater fish since I was a kid in Florida, I'm not sure why it's just now showing up here for the same species.
Specks, Flounder, Spanish, Redfish, Black Drum...and lots more can be caught using the popping cork method with great regularity. It works great at first break of day especially.
You can also suspend a grub or shrimp under a Bagley's finger mullet and pretty much have a similar situation that's doubly deadly.

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
Use them with decent success in the back bays and marshes with live finger mullets, mud minnows, even heads on shrimp. Caught reds, flounder, and trout on them. But it doesn't;t work everywhere. I've found the poopers work better is calmer waters with a slight chop or less than 1' swells. If it is choppy, has large swells, or has any white cap to it at all they are not effective. For places like the Hatteras Point in Buxton or the south point on Lookout, the water is too rough and/ or choppy most of the time to be effective. In those places I go old school and put the 6-8oz plus bait on the bottom with a 18"-24" black nylon coated steel-on leader and a 9/0-12/0 circle hook.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Watched a feller land a mid 40s off the point one evening on some sort of popper.

Sorry. I was assuming without looking at the link. The popper I was referencing was like a striper lure you'd use in the surf up north.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Been using them for a long time, probably close to 20 years. First experience I ever had with them was fishing in FL, around Charlotte Harbor/Pine Island sound for big drum. I got out fished 20-1 by other boats because I didn't own any. The sun didn't set that day without me owning a dozen. They are darn effective under most conditions

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Gulp mullet under a popping cork are deadly for big redfish, as are many different lures. We've used popping corks for many species of saltwater fish since I was a kid in Florida, I'm not sure why it's just now showing up here for the same species.
Specks, Flounder, Spanish, Redfish, Black Drum...and lots more can be caught using the popping cork method with great regularity. It works great at first break of day especially.
You can also suspend a grub or shrimp under a Bagley's finger mullet and pretty much have a similar situation that's doubly deadly.

Same in S Miss we'd use a doa shrimp if fishing birds or a gulp mullet if sight fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
the boys that guide down in oriental have all kinds of videos showing the method . Google DOA redfish and you can see it in action. DOA was their soft plastic of choice a few years ago.

it was a method that let the guides work in the day time on the big drum without having to mess with the bait. or stay out after dark.

Last edited:

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Lot of good info out there for chasing Bull reds on popping corks. That cork above will work but, it is a little bulky. DOA has a weighted popping cork that
will cast a lot farther out, less wind resistant. DOA also has a combo package with a cork and DOA Airhead soft plastic.

Popping corks allow the angler to be more involved in the fishing experience, versus soaking bait and just waiting for something to happen.

Find the bait and find the fish. At times the bait is close to the top of the water column, popping corks work great. What happens when the bait goes to the bottom in deeper water? pick up a Rattletrap or Bomber Pogy in 1 1/2 ounce. Cast, let it hit bottom and rip it up. Hang on tight cause bull reds will slam these things.

https://youtu.be/dYfWzneBRVg

Check out Gary Dubriel (specfever) Dave Stewart (kneedeep charters) and Mitchell Blake (ibx charters) on their
Facebook pages for more info.