Dropped Puppy

• Thread starter Rabbit Hunter Purvis
  • Start date

Rabbit Hunter Purvis

Dropped one of my 3 week old puppies today by accident while worming him. It was only about 2 feet and he fell on his back but he yelped and although he quit yelling when I picked him up, when I set him back down he just laid down and acted like he was gonna go to sleep. Should I be worried about him being hurt? May sound strange that I'm asking this but I've only had hounds for 3 years and this is the first bunch of puppies I've raised.

Southside

Ten Pointer
Could have knocked the wind out of him. Is he still feeding ok? I assume a few hrs have gone by now. Has the pup started moving around again?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They are tougher than you think, if it fell on concrete it could be bad and if it hit head first it could be problematic. Tomorrow if it isn't acting up to par should tell.

My whelping pen is 4' off the ground and one rolled out at 4 weeks when I opened the door. I have since put an 8" board up there to stop that but she did the same thing. She hollered her head off but subsided when I picked her up. I checked her out and she appeared fine but she feel on concrete. Two days later I noticed she had developed an inguinal hernia. I called my vet and he said NBD. Just wait to she was 8 weeks old, he wouldn't sedate one prior to that unless it was an emergency and fix it. $65. later she was fixed and to this day 8 years later she is fine.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I hope he is OK. I have seen them take some falls and come out OK. Only time will tell.