Taking the plunge

bubba2009

Twelve Pointer
After 36 1/2 years in the telecom industry and 32 1/2 years with the same company (through many mergers and acquisitions), I've had enough. I got the ball rolling for early retirement this morning. My last day at work is 8/26.

I'll decompress for a while then get a part time job or maybe a full time job doing something I enjoy. Life is too short to work a job that is killing me. :)

congrats i did 40 years with Ma Bell in NY retired in 2010. best thing i ever did. enjoy have fun

5 Shot

Ten Pointer
After 36 1/2 years in the telecom industry and 32 1/2 years with the same company (through many mergers and acquisitions), I've had enough. I got the ball rolling for early retirement this morning. My last day at work is 8/26.

I'll decompress for a while then get a part time job or maybe a full time job doing something I enjoy. Life is too short to work a job that is killing me. :)

Man I feel the same way. Been working same job, same company for 32 1/2 years, I. 'm 51 years old years and its killing me. Just trying to make 55. Probably wont be able to afford it but ............................................. Congratulations to you!

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a friend who works for CenturyLink and he has said the same thing. If I remember correctly, haven't they been bought-out or merged several times in the last decade?

Congrats buddy! Yep, my BIL retired from Century Link. Lost a bundle in his IRA from one of those mergers....

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Congrats Jodi...with all that free time you'll have, I expect to see several pics of 10 and 12 pointers hitting the dirt this fall. :)

Redeye

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Congrats buddy! Yep, my BIL retired from Century Link. Lost a bundle in his IRA from one of those mergers....

I bet. The time was right to make a move. I don't think the worse is here yet. I thing big changes are a coming.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I pity the critters around you!!!!

Congrats Braves! ;)

If It's part time work you want, hit me up! You'll be rethinking that in about an hour lol!!

Well deserved and well done sir!!

NC hunter

Good for you. You still have promises to keep that'll keep you busy. Met you at DDC, Conmans booth, I had on a PK7 cap. Find that peace you earned it.

NCdoe

Ten Pointer
Congratulations on your retirement. It is a wonderful life and I am glad you reached that milestone.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Congrats!! I have 27 years with At&T and you said a mouthful when you said it aint the same place it used to be!! I also agree that big changes are coming across the board for both of our companies! I am just praying that I can squeeze my 30 years out of them! I will be 53 with 30 years with 2 in college .........I cant afford to leave but may be forced out by then.

Enjoy your self you have earned it!!

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I am not quitelling there yet buddy but I can almost see it from here

Congrats and enjoy

Last edited:

Redeye

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Thanks everyone! I'm so looking forward to see what the future holds.

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
Good for you! I have a lil over four years left here to get my pension. I know what you mean about push push push. I set the bar high for 25 years. No one else comes close, but all hell breaks loose if I try to slow down a bit. There are 8 of us and I still turn 1/3 of the work.

I may continue working once I get my KMA ;) card, but time will tell. I like WHAT I do and I am appreciated by those around me, which means a lot, but the pressure is getting old.

So happy for you and your lady.

Redeye

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Good for you! I have a lil over four years left here to get my pension. I know what you mean about push push push. I set the bar high for 25 years. No one else comes close, but all hell breaks loose if I try to slow down a bit. There are 8 of us and I still turn 1/3 of the work.

I may continue working once I get my KMA ;) card, but time will tell. I like WHAT I do and I am appreciated by those around me, which means a lot, but the pressure is getting old.

So happy for you and your lady.

Good luck Nana. Unfortunately, Michele has a ways to go. Yep, I robbed the cradle. She works 3 12 hour days a week so we will have more time off together. I'll find a part time job later. The stress was just not worth the pay. Doing more with less only goes so far... I had grown to really dislike my job too. Time to go...

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Congrats Jody! My boss is planning on going at the end of the year, and I've been taking some of the retirement seminars as well. I'll be 53 in a few months, and I have a little over 3 year before I'm eligible, and probably 9 before I can afford to, if I can stand it that long. As I've told others, I don't want to just survive in retirement, I want to thrive! We'll see how it works out.