Lab/Weimaraner Mix?

sqlhawkn

Four Pointer
Has anyone ever had any experience with this cross? Good/Bad...??

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
The ones I have interacted with are huge and hard headed.

But they have a great prey drive if you can keep them exercised and entertained.

You doing to try to hunt with it?

sqlhawkn

Four Pointer
No plans to hunt her just added her to the family. Figured someone here might know a little more about the breed vs. what little info there is on the internet. My 8 and 6 year old wanted a dog they could run and play with.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
They will certainly do that. The dogs I've seen need structure and a lot of play. Sounds like your kids could do a good job at that.

Would be a good addition to the family. Good luck!

Also the Weimaraner in it would be very loyal and protective of the kids which is a huge plus!

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would think they would be a good dog for a family, but I would expect they'd need a lot of activity / exercise. Not a dog to have if its going to be cooped up in a house a day.

Mixed-breed dogs can always be a big question mark. Some are great dogs (I have a mixed breed hound). They can definitely be individuals in intelligence & temperment.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
She ought to have energy to burn and be a very independent dog if she takes the traits from both breeds.
Both breeds love to roam, that's for sure, so she will need alot of room to run.
Hard to find a more intelligent mix, hopefully yours will be trainable without drastic measures.

NC Quailhunter

Six Pointer
The dog is going to need a lot of exercise. The lab is a great dog as everyone knows. They fit in with a family well and will play all day. The Weim is a dog that as a young dog has a lot of energy and doesn't really know it's size. If they are not socialized well they can be very needy and sometimes they can be clingy. They will keep a good eye on the kids and the house. They are protective of their families from the ones I have seen and trained. How these two breeds will cross and the pups turn out is anyone's guess. As has been said mixed breeds are a big question mark.
Both breeds have their own set of health issues that you will have to take into account and hopefully the pups don't have any of them but they could have any combination of them so I would ask about the health of the parents.
Just my opinion and not trying to be a know it all but I would look at a lab or a weim not a cross. Good Luck.

sqlhawkn

Four Pointer
Thanks everyone...i read where they will need lots of exercise. I hope she will be protective over the family as crazy as this world has become! I have 2 other dogs that are older and don't even bark anymore when someone rings the doorbell. One thing is for sure - I plan to go through the basic obedience training and plan on going on to more advanced training. I picked her up last week and other than the dang biting that puppies do she's really learning routines well.

34fio1i.jpg

ke6n4m.jpg

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
She's a cutie.

Structure structure structure.

My GSP needs a hard 30 minutes of off leash games/exercise before she will learn ANYTHING new.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Very nice. My buddy has a GSP/Lab mix. Nice dog. Great retriever, gets a little cold in NODAK. On land, she beats all the labs to the ducks because she's so tall. She is just a nice, well adjusted dog, but needed her exercise no doubt, especially as an adolescent. Your dog is cute and you guys will have a blast.