Firearm price?

Ridgeline66

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Have you ever paid too much for a firearm and didn't really care? maybe be it was a rare firearm or just something you had to have? :)

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
Yep. Had the cash, it was in front of me, and I wasn't will to risk looking around.

Sent from.......wait....where am I?!

koszman

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Yep been there done that. But you can find a good deal sometimes. Went to gander mountain yesterday bought a glock 22 gen 4 never been fired for 399.99.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Think we've all done that , and probably are destined to do it all over again too.
^^^^^This.

We've all done it, at one time or another.
Sometimes life's too short, and you just gotta have it.

If Hillary gets in this Fall, you can bet the price of firearms will skyrocket.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
:DYES........on a single shot shotgun too... Winchester 37A normally sell for 200 bucks in great condition. I found a cust of mine who had a 16 ga in mint cond. he didnt want to sell but I gave him enough that he went home and got it and now I have it....:D

C52

Eight Pointer
1988 I bidded off a ruger speed six 357 for 240 bucks. An old man there made the comment that i must have really wanted it to pay that for it. I still have it and I would guess its come close to double that now. Edit to say bidded off at an estate sale

Last edited:

Jake NFC

Twelve Pointer
Yes, every time I buy from my local guy. Would rather spend a little more than buy from a big box store.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
"My biggest fear in life is that after I die my wife will sell all my guns for what I told her I paid for them"

EMB

Ten Pointer
Real honestly, I haven't and not trying to sound cocky.

Reason most of the guns I have purchased, I do research on, and go to auctions. I know when to stop bidding, due to my research. I will never bid above what I could get for the gun if I were to sell it to a dealer for some reason or other (so roughly about 60% of the retail used value). I look at condition first, New & never been fired, fired but 95%, fired quite a bit & normal wear & tear, fired & really showing age, etc. One thing many forget is a gun fired is not a new gun, it would always be classified as used and dependent upon condition. At the same time you have to use what gun stores do, and that is look at the gun at what it would retail at used, and roughly pay about 60 -70% max of that retail price for the gun.

On an individual F2F sale, if the gun is new and fired, but still in 95% or better, any price below say 15% or so of new retail, is a great value to both buyer and seller. As an example, take a gun that sells for say $430 new, has the original box, paperwork and everything that came with the gun, but it had been fired, even 1 round, that gun would be worth about $365 IMHO (that's about 15% off the new retail) or less depending on number of rounds. If it had 100 rounds, I would offer $315 tops (between 25% & 30% off retail) again depending on condition shown. The bigger issue is what the seller paid for the particular gun, I go on an average Sale Price from my research. If he overpaid, that isn't my issue, I know what I could have paid for that gun because of research. If the seller said no, I'd walk.

Almost everything I purchase from cars, motorcycles, 4 wheelers, appliances, my homes etc., I do the same.

Obviously collectables are in a whole other world, but still can fall under similar thought process to some degree. Rarity makes all the difference in the world, not just age. Along with rarity and age comes condition. Many feel that just because it is old, it is worth a lot, not the case.

You can't have sentimental value cloud the true value to someone who has no attachment to the firearm.

Auctions, if you are good at judgment of originality and condition, and do your studies on the guns of interest at the auction prior, can be very rewarding, just don't get caught up in the moment.

I've built a nice collection by auction and individual purchases and still have value in all my choices. I also have bought a couple new on the internet, but do lots of searching until I find a dealer who will budge or find the lowest deal I can get, including the transfer fees and shipping. Many times I get free shipping included and rarely pay over a $20 transfer fee.

Redneck Rocker Dude

Old Mossy Horns
Got an lc smith sitting in the safe right now that I took up to a gun store to get it appraised (out of curiosity). I walked out of the store and a man followed me out and offered me $500 more than what the guy had just appraised it for. As a broke college student I think about that offer often but I couldn't get rid of it for its sentimental value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Got an lc smith sitting in the safe right now that I took up to a gun store to get it appraised (out of curiosity). I walked out of the store and a man followed me out and offered me $500 more than what the guy had just appraised it for. As a broke college student I think about that offer often but I couldn't get rid of it for its sentimental value.

You best hang on to it, and get a couple more appraisals. Some of those L C Smiths can be worth some serious money.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Paid 550 for my PMR30, msrp is only 450 but at the time on gunbroker they were $750+. When it comes to buying im funny, id rather wait a year or 2 and get it for 60% than pay retail. The one exception was the PMR but Id been on a waiting list for 9 months.

spinnerbaitor48

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
"My biggest fear in life is that after I die my wife will sell all my guns for what I told her I paid for them"

that's why you keep a log of all your weapons....what you paid for them, what they are worth at the time, model no. serial no., and year mfg....then out to the side, a reasonable estimate of what they are worth....takes all the pressure off of your loved ones once you have gone to the great hunting ground....and, gives you some peace of mind about your toys

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
that's why you keep a log of all your weapons....what you paid for them, what they are worth at the time, model no. serial no., and year mfg....then out to the side, a reasonable estimate of what they are worth....takes all the pressure off of your loved ones once you have gone to the great hunting ground....and, gives you some peace of mind about your toys

Not a bad idea. Never know when you might kick the bucket.

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
I never have. Was really tempted last fall on a win model 94 in 30-30 at a gun show but couldnt do it. Killed my first deer with a gun like that.

But i did over pay for a kerry king flying v guitar one saturday morning. Lol. How many guitars does one guy need? It depends on how many tunings you dont want to change on a set of strings.