Browning A bolts?

treein dixie

Twelve Pointer
I have a stainless A Bolt that will shoot under 1 inch at 100 but it has the boss system.

I had one of those about 20 years ago in 300 win mag with a boss it shoot same hole with reloads, until I burned it out. Wasn't sure how well the newer ones shot with no boss.

Last edited:

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
I have a stainless in .270 that will shoot the same hole at 100 yards without the boss and using reloads.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have an older A-Bolt that can shoot way better than I can hold, it's not picky using hunting ammo, but to get the most accuracy out of it...you have to use handloads or try several varieties of ammo. It prefers 165 grain boattail bullets to any other, and prefers Sierra to the others.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I have an 06 and a .300 Win Mag, both of which shot an inch or under easily but they both preferred the Elderado with the 150 grain Barnes X bullet. I think I still have a partial box of both since I gave up shooting the big guns years ago.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've got a 1990 model 243 that will stack them under 1" with federal or hornady factory ammo. I have a 270 and 300 that will do it with Federal ammo. All of them should if you reload. All of mine are as they came from the factory except with lighter trigger springs. I have the Boss system on my 300 and it works but I wouldn't buy another one with Boss.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have one that is around 25 years old. It would not perform in one inch groups until I had the trigger job, glass bed, and target crown done on it. It is a tack driver now shooting 140 grain factory ammo.

It would really get wild if you shot 3 rounds back to back, The heating of the barrel made a huge difference in accuracy. Cold barrel is the only way to truly see what it is shooting. IMO

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have one that is around 25 years old. It would not perform in one inch groups until I had the trigger job, glass bed, and target crown done on it. It is a tack driver now shooting 140 grain factory ammo.

It would really get wild if you shot 3 rounds back to back, The heating of the barrel made a huge difference in accuracy. Cold barrel is the only way to truly see what it is shooting. IMO

Exactly what I had done to mine, and performs exactly the same..and about the same age weapon as well. Cold barrel is an absolute necessity.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had one in 30/06 that patterned like buckshot with Remy, Winny, and Federal 150's, 165's and 180's. Very disappointing to say the least. I bought a cheap Lee hand loader kit, and I mean the "hand" one!! I started with the basement load of RL19 and Sierra 150 gr Match Kings. Once hit the max load groups were at 3/8" at 100 yds and 3/4" at 200 yds.

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Bought mine new in 1999 - ABolt II stainless stalker in .30/06. Through the BOSS it shoots cloverleafs at 100 yards with 168 grain Winchester Ballistic Silvertips and Barnes TSX. Great accuracy from factory loads, and the limiting factor in this rifle's accuracy is me, not the rifle.

I have the Boss system on my 300 and it works but I wouldn't buy another one with Boss.

Curious as to why you would not buy another with the BOSS?

spinnerbaitor48

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
had a 270 with boss...it is by far the loudest rifle I have ever shot...accuracy was excellent, but you would not want to shoot one out of an enclosed blind....

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Bought mine new in 1999 - ABolt II stainless stalker in .30/06. Through the BOSS it shoots cloverleafs at 100 yards with 168 grain Winchester Ballistic Silvertips and Barnes TSX. Great accuracy from factory loads, and the limiting factor in this rifle's accuracy is me, not the rifle.

Curious as to why you would not buy another with the BOSS?
Probably doesn't like hunting with ear plugs in.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have the CR on my 300 because of the noise. The system works but to really tune it in the average person won't spend the time or the money to shoot 3 boxes or more of ammo to find the optimal accuracy. If you reload anyway you can do the same thing in theory to any rifle without the boss by tuning a load to the barrel instead of tuning the barrel to the load.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

hungup

Spike
Nope!! Had 3 of them, most overrated gun of all time. They feel/ handle good but shoot like crap. Always had to hand load to even get close to 1".

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
I love mine and wouldn't have anything else in bolt. I like the fit and finish and the tang mounted safety and 60 degree bolt and the detachable magazine. I really never could get any factory ammo to shoot. I didn't try managed recoil ammo but it would have probably shot fine. Here is the target from the last time we shot it. The upper right is the first cold/clean bore shot.
attachment.php

Screen Shot 2016-07-30 at 10.08.01 AM.jpg

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Exactly what I had done to mine, and performs exactly the same..and about the same age weapon as well. Cold barrel is an absolute necessity.

This is true in all sporter barrels though, my BAR will stack fusion 150s with holes touching but if you heat up the barrel the target looks like it was hit by buckshot. 1st 2 shots are touching, 3rd will be 3 inches low and 1 inch right every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Yes sir...270 a bolt with 130grain Hornady SST and Nikon 2.5 x10 BDC scope.

Shot antelope over 400yds

bgbuckdwn

Have a stainless stalker 300win will shoot 1" at 100yds with Winchester silver tips and .5" with reloads

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Probably doesn't like hunting with ear plugs in.

So he's using the muzzle brake attachment on the BOSS? My BOSS comes with both a conventional recoil attachment and a muzzle brake. I just use the CV-R attachment when hunting, and it's just like any other rifle - only more accurate due to the BOSS, without all the added noise of the muzzle brake attachment.