Church History

seminolewind

Jews
Catholics
Protestants (covenant and evangelical)
Non recognized groups/cults (Mormons, JW's, etc.)

Wonder where y'all fit in?

Last edited:

seminolewind

Just wondering what denominations (if you will) people on here come from.... that's all

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This is pretty close to where I land right here,,,,,

http://theblog.founders.org/about/

That's very close to what I prefer as well, with the addition of expositional teaching rather than themed messages , but they didn't exact cover that part of it. I shy away from being associated with the "Southern Baptist" organization in any way, they have become so fractured and there are factions of that specific denomination that are heretics in the worst way.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
I was life long atheist until I found Deism. I felt like I was always a deist but didnt know any such 'religion' existed so I leaned towards being atheist/agnostic. I believe in 'God', but not buying what any church is selling. I do not believe He plays a hand in daily events like most religions.

seminolewind

I was life long atheist until I found Deism. I felt like I was always a deist but didnt know any such 'religion' existed so I leaned towards being atheist/agnostic. I believe in 'God', but not buying what any church is selling. I do not believe He plays a hand in daily events like most religions.

Many Founding Fathers of our nation were Deists.....

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
Interesting, have you ever had Atheist thoughts prior to Agnosticism?
Yep, still do. I lean closer to atheism than I do belief. I just can't rule out that there may be a higher power.

I will say, if there is a higher power, I don't think they intervene in our lives in the least.

Sent from.......wait....where am I?!

Ramblin Man

Four Pointer
I can't fathom how anyone who hunts, fishes, does other solitary and group activities in the great outdoors has questions about God. Watching all of nature awaken in the early morning hours or go to sleep in the evening is, in my opinion, the closest thing to heaven on earth. Not trying to offend, just my opinion.

seminolewind

i can't fathom how anyone who hunts, fishes, does other solitary and group activities in the great outdoors has questions about god. Watching all of nature awaken in the early morning hours or go to sleep in the evening is, in my opinion, the closest thing to heaven on earth. Not trying to offend, just my opinion.

great point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I can't fathom how anyone who hunts, fishes, does other solitary and group activities in the great outdoors has questions about God. Watching all of nature awaken in the early morning hours or go to sleep in the evening is, in my opinion, the closest thing to heaven on earth. Not trying to offend, just my opinion.

Similarly, someone with a real understanding of how eyes and vision works is deluded if they think that system came into being without a creator.

Weekender

Twelve Pointer

The diversity of life and the questions of who created the matter that became everything there is begs for one to consider someone made it all or set it in motion on some level. The creation is indeed beautiful.

But admitting that is a far cry from believing the first eleven chapters of Genesis. and like it or not, they are crucial to the new testament.

seminolewind

The diversity of life and the questions of who created the matter that became everything there is begs for one to consider someone made it all or set it in motion on some level. The creation is indeed beautiful.

But admitting that is a far cry from believing the first eleven chapters of Genesis. and like it or not, they are crucial to the new testament.

This (your statement) is the huge breaking or turning point rather for the modern church. Scofield and Dispensational thought has been a huge undermining (IMO) of traditional cover to cover Gospel presentations (Covenant). The two camps are Covenantal v Dispensational. Just a general overview, for those who did not know, Dispensationalism is breaking the Old Testament to only a historical value and the New Testament as the part we follow in application. In other words, New Testament theology is what I hear it called most the time (Baptists are in this camp). Of course with anything, Dispensational camps have at least three variations that I know of with Giesler being the hyper dispys. Some of these folks, interestingly enough, argue that we are not to take sacraments until the return of Christ as opposed to doing the sacraments as remembrance of Christ. But these difference is what makes theology an always interesting dialogue.....

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
In other words, New Testament theology is what I hear it called most the time (Baptists are in this camp).

That's a huge net you're throwing there. "Baptist Church" connotation is being used to cover a multitude of organizations, some of who only faintly resemble a body of Christians and some don't preach from the Bible at all.
The Baptist Church that I attend preaches from the complete Bible, the King James version only, and the Bible in it's entirety is used to edify and instruct the attendees of the services as well as the basis of the belief system. The Old and New Testament are integral parts of the Bible and each part only reinforces and serves as a source of information and back up for the other. The largest difference is how the authors speak to the intended recipients of the letters of the New Testament compared to the historical documentation style of the Old Testament.

seminolewind

That's a huge net you're throwing there. "Baptist Church" connotation is being used to cover a multitude of organizations, some of who only faintly resemble a body of Christians and some don't preach from the Bible at all.
The Baptist Church that I attend preaches from the complete Bible, the King James version only, and the Bible in it's entirety is used to edify and instruct the attendees of the services as well as the basis of the belief system. The Old and New Testament are integral parts of the Bible and each part only reinforces and serves as a source of information and back up for the other. The largest difference is how the authors speak to the intended recipients of the letters of the New Testament compared to the historical documentation style of the Old Testament.

Yes, I agree that "Baptist" can mean almost anything these days. Sad but true! But a little bit of research will support the denominational fracturing I was globally addressing. The general framework is Presby, Reformed Baptists, etc. make up more the Confessional/Covanental Church and Southern Baptists, Independent Baptists and Fundy's are Dispy type churches. Of course some group within here will argue they are more one type than the other so I realize this is a general statement.

If you are a group that I mentioned or not and would like to state where you are within the spectrum, please let us know as I for one would like to learn more...

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The general framework is Presby, Reformed Baptists, etc. make up more the Confessional/Covanental Church and Southern Baptists, Independent Baptists and Fundy's are Dispy type churches.

That's simply not true. The majority of Southern Baptist churches I know...in fact ALL of them that I know of personally would be considered covenantal. Maybe it's my limited experience, but I have yet to attend or even visit a church (of any denomination) that claimed a new testament theology only, and discarded the spiritual value and continuity of the OT. In fact, it is one long story, God's story, from beginning to end. I've never met a southern baptist that would argue against that statement.

But, the Southern Baptist Convention as I understand it, is an association of individual, autonomous churches that generally agree to the same doctrine. There may be some that choose a different path, but NT theology is not the general consensus .

Last edited:

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
Many baptists are dispensationalists but covenant churchs share some of their views as well. A dispy believes the miraculous spiritual gifts ended with the apostolic age. Dont cov churches believe similiarly? Whereas pentecostals and charismatics believe those gifts are still in play.

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
There's really nothing to understand because it's all just fabricated elements of their made-up "religion".

Even if it is all a myth, reading the bible makes one a well rounded reader. Waaaaay too many relevant stories and people and quotes to dismiss it as garbage with no value. It is still quoted wnd alluded to by folks who have no idea what they are saying. It is the bedrock of western literature and consciousness. Imo.

And i am an apostate. For the record.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Roman Catholic. Having put much reflection to the subject, and despite me being a smart :donk about religion as an adolescent, it still feels like my Spiritual Home.