2016-2017 Grouse Season

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
I know it's a tad early but I'm seeing slot more acorns than I did last year and I know that special time of year is right around the corner!!!!!...... Hopefully start getting the dog in shape soon and some cooler weather comes our way

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I hear you. With the dang heat lately I can only run my dog for about 30 minutes in the afternoon before she's zonked.

My plan is to get a couple deer killed early and start hunting the high ground once the leaves start falling!

Ha. We'll see how that goes

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Most people are ready for the cool weather and speaking if grouse I think I found a spot that might be promising seen decent amount there more than usually see in NC

h2ohhh

Button Buck
As I no longer hunt I've got a beautiful Italian Zoli 20 gauge SXS collecting dust in my gun cabinet. Light as a feather, 26" barrels, Mod/Full choke, no ejectors. I'm the original owner and bought it in 1970. A few minor scratches as its a field gun. It's a steal at $1000. Not posted anywhere else...I just ran across this thread. Contact if interested. I'm in Concord, NC. jyvars@gmail.com. Leave a number and I'll call. Thanks'
9b500f7c87ddb6e2b8067fd619c7e1a3.jpg
0983be8d77ebf9a529db174e41ae340e.jpg

Castandblast2

I'm thinking about heading out to Western NC this fall to hunt some grouse, so I'll probably have some questions in regards to Forest Service roads, and NF access, I'm hoping some of you guys can answer.

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
I'm gonna try it in a couple of days. I have to work this weekend but then I'm off. I've been a couple of times....... I wish we would get some more rain..... It's very dry. There's some snow up around 6000 feet!!!

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The leaves are coming down now.

Its now staying cool enough to get out and run around with your dog.

They did some nice cutting up in the North Mills River area and that area should be getting good soon.

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
Well I've been a few times and the leaves are coming down but we need a big change in the weather and lots of rain lol

Val Resnick

Four Pointer
I've only encountered a couple grouse in my life in the mountains. Mostly from hiking into trout streams. I'd gladly shell out some cash to someone who can put me on a hunt with them in a favorable area. I've always wanted to hunt grouse. Awesome.

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
Well it's dry and very warm. The season is about to ramp up but I'm telling you we need a change in the weather and I don't think it's gonna happen anytime soon. I've seen conditions like this before but that doesn't mean I like it..... Please everyone be mindful of fire danger......

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
I'm planning to head up Saturday afternoon for a short hunt...first of the year for me. Are the leaves still thick at 3,200ft vicicnity Banner Elk?

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
Well I don't have any grouse stories. I've been and its smokey in a lot of place...... It's gonna get worse before it gets better......

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Snow and ice might be coming over the weekend to the higher elevations.

If it does, good time to track some up.

Except for the Park service shutting off access to 50% of the available prime public grouse woods between Boone and Asheville when they close the parkway...

And of all the years I've grouse hunted, I've never had a good shoot with more than an inch of snow on the ground... Also never done well in ice.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I've been able to track some up in snow as deep as 6 inches up north.

But 1-2 inches I've found is good for tracking grouse and even ringneck pheasant.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Tracking across your driveway as you walk your Chiuahah in PA doesn't exactly equate to mtn grouse in nc.
I was wondering what kind of 'squatch grouse made tracks in ice? Glad I wasn't the only one that thought that comment was absurd.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've been able to track some up in snow as deep as 6 inches up north.

But 1-2 inches I've found is good for tracking grouse and even ringneck pheasant.
Are you talking about the truck that was releasing them? :rolleyes:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Nope.

Pheasants that had been released weeks earlier.

Snow is a good time to hunt them wild or stocked birds.

Last edited: