2016-2017 Grouse Season

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Some of them can fly pretty good actually.

Usually a pheasant will run if it can, even wild birds.

Kinda interesting they can't reproduce in NC but MD north they can.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

CRC you don't have to tell me about pheasants, I have hunted actual wild ones. You know, the ones you have to use actual high brass loads and still many of them are too far. SMH

NC Quailhunter

Six Pointer
So to bring this back around. How is the grouse season going for people in the western part of the state? The Quail here is going alright. The dog is finding them when I can get out but the shooter is not doing his part.
I also did a couple of preserve hunts with a few new guys to introduce them and get them some excitement. Good times. One preserve in Florida during Thanksgiving.
One of these days I will figure out how to hunt Grouse and give it a try. Woodcock opens today so we will see how that goes this weekend.

Last edited:

MtnGrouseHtr

Six Pointer
Hunted from 10 - 3:30 yesterday and didn't jump a bird. Grapes seemed spotty and the bear hunters were running dogs. Going to give it a go again after the first of the year.

nchunter2

Eight Pointer

One of my bucket list hunts is chasing the only wild reproducing populations of pheasants in NC....the Outer Banks! According to state biologists there is a mineral component in the soil there that allows egg development in the pheasant. Kinda hard to get to where they are since you can't drive there. Figured it would be a blast to get one of those.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Someone told me once the Pea Island population was gone.

But the birds still exist at Cape Lookout. Folks on here have seen them there.

NC Quailhunter

Six Pointer
I will get out to one of those islands an hunt those birds. I think a summer recon is in order for me and then I will figure the rest out. I really want to hunt those birds also.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Sure has been GREAT weather since deer season ended...

10" snow last weekend at home and couldn't get out, and this weekend rain and fog...

Jeeeeeezzzzzzzzzz. I swear my dog hasn't seen a grouse in so long she's gonna walk up on one and say, "Huh, that doesn't look like my training dummy..."

May have to break down and trade some deer meat and yellowfin tuna loins to a couple boys at the preserve so I can go get my dog some points...

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
Tough year up in PA this year too. I didn't go up, but my dad hunted late archery in prime territory during the last week of archery and didn't flush a single one. In good years, just deer hunting I am good for 10+ in a week. I can't hit them for nothing when I am hunting them, but get lucky every now and then. We never had dogs, just leg work....

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Giving it a try tomorrow where I flushed a gang of birds in turkey season. Grapes hit up there this fall, but I didn't deer hunt on that part of the mountain so I don't have much recon on the birds.
Beats sitting at the house. Gonna be 37 and drizzly but I can't stand another weekend sitting at home...

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Welllllllllll....

Foggy as crap. Rainy/drizzly, and 35 degrees.

We hunted hard 730-1230 and didn't jump a bird.
Rain set in hard around 12 and we hit the road...

Try again next week. Kicker is I had jumped a couple birds in there this year, but they weren't home...

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Cold as shite on Saturday morning but calm.

Birds were bad wild. Jumping before pup was within 30 yards. No points on 7 flushes of 4/5 different birds. Only shot at 2. Missed them both.

Didn't get on birds until 11. Mountain wore me and the dog out by 2.

Good news is they were all within 200 yards of eachother. Going straight to that holler on Saturday to start right after daylight.

NC Quailhunter

Six Pointer
Cold as shite on Saturday morning but calm.

Birds were bad wild. Jumping before pup was within 30 yards. No points on 7 flushes of 4/5 different birds. Only shot at 2. Missed them both.

Didn't get on birds until 11. Mountain wore me and the dog out by 2.

Good news is they were all within 200 yards of eachother. Going straight to that holler on Saturday to start right after daylight.

That sounds like a positive outing. Too bad there weren't any successful shots but at least the birds were there. Good luck this Saturday.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I just need more guns... I only really care about working my dog. So, when she gets birdy I concentrate on her instead of getting in position for a shot. That coupled with wild-flushing birds makes it tough.

MtnGrouseHtr

Six Pointer
Flushed 3, saw 2 and got a shot at one on Wednesday the 8th. Dog got a point, I waded in but too thick to connect. Like appmetnhntr, I'm taking more guns/friends with me this weekend. Seems like the grouse are finally done with the acorns and are back in the predictable spots that I usually see them. Thick and nasty spots with a bit of water running thru them is where I'm finding them.

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
I hear what everyone is saying about another gun but by this point in the season the thrill of getting one is not the same. I don't like killing them at all but I know it's part of it but by this late in February the strong ones have survived and they are pairing up..... just not the same. Not wanting to rain on anyone's parade just my 2 cents

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I hear what everyone is saying about another gun but by this point in the season the thrill of getting one is not the same. I don't like killing them at all but I know it's part of it but by this late in February the strong ones have survived and they are pairing up..... just not the same. Not wanting to rain on anyone's parade just my 2 cents

Huh?
I mean, I could actually care less about killing a grouse personally, but I know it's a real treat for all of my dog's hard work when she gets those feathers in her mouth.
It's amazing to see her get that giant jolt of energy at 1pm when we've been hunting hard all day and we finally get a bird down. That's what I'm there for.

My season doesn't start until Jan. 2 since I hunt 100% public land and don't want my pup in any danger of a misunderstanding or someone with a bad attitude.
That, and I understand the struggles of a public land deer hunter in the mountains so I'd like to be respectful of other guys like me.

What you said reminded me of not killing doe deer in December since they've made it through the season and may already be bred?

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
I know what you mean. It's all about the dog. I'm with you the dog needs one to get it's mouth on every now and then. I'm not condoning killing in the month of February, but I still can't help but think as I hold one in my hand that it had made it ...... there's a sad feeling comes over me I guess. Sometimes I wish I was like my dog and didn't have any sense of death when it comes to a bird that has dominated my life since the age of 13...... I'm 46 now

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I know what you mean. It's all about the dog. I'm with you the dog needs one to get it's mouth on every now and then. I'm not condoning killing in the month of February, but I still can't help but think as I hold one in my hand that it had made it ...... there's a sad feeling comes over me I guess. Sometimes I wish I was like my dog and didn't have any sense of death when it comes to a bird that has dominated my life since the age of 13...... I'm 46 now

I hear you. I'm almost 30, and been chasing those wood chickens since I was 11...
Haha... I think the one's I'm lucky enough to kill need to be taken out of the gene pool if they get out done by me... :)

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
Well 2 weeks left..... there was lots of acorns this past fall so hopefully that will bode well for the hens and their reproductive cycle this spring and hopefully this coming fall there will be lots of birds and everything will be perfect

NC Quailhunter

Six Pointer
Well 2 weeks left..... there was lots of acorns this past fall so hopefully that will bode well for the hens and their reproductive cycle this spring and hopefully this coming fall there will be lots of birds and everything will be perfect

This is the way I look at every Quail season. This fall will be better. Good luck over the next two weeks. Hopefully I can get a couple in the bag myself.

MtnGrouseHtr

Six Pointer

Ahh.. the way my friends shoot, the grouse are not in much danger either way :)

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Going to make a solo run again tomorrow morning. Gonna hike on up to where the birds were last week with pup on a leash and start there. 90 minute slog up the hill.

I usually hunt that mountain from the bottom and it takes about 4 hrs of hunting to make our way up there. By that time my mongrel is starting to run out of gas a little.

Hard call though. I've always gotten on more quantity of birds up high, but I've always converted on more hard points down low. They seem to hold just a bit tighter on the low side.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Flushed one. Shot and missed.
Tough year. Last time out for me and pup.

May try to do a preserve hunt in March to wear her out on some quail.

NC Quailhunter

Six Pointer
That is too bad about the miss. Went out Saturday and didn't find any Quail in Holly Shelter. I am just getting into the gameland this year. I normally hunt elsewhere.
That was the last time unless it gets cold one of these weekends. Also a field trial or two in March. Next year will be better.