Fertilizing and Liming Clover

Famous Amos

I have a two year old clover plot that I want to fertilize and lime sometime. Is this week too early to fertilize and lime or should I wait till September?

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you have heavy red clay , I would go ahead and put out the lime and wait on fertilizer till September. Takes 2-3 months for lime to start working on heavy red clay .

Last edited:

Eggman

Twelve Pointer
If you have heavy red clay , I would go ahead and put out the lime and wait on fertilizer till September. Takes 2-3 months for lime to start working on heavy red clay .

Jug is spot on with his advise

Castle Oak

What Jug said but you can wait until October to fertilize if we have a dry spell. Make sure your fertilizer contains low or no nitrogen. 0-20-20 or 5-20-20 is what I use.

Pirate Hunter

Hit it again with fertilizer in the spring. Spring and Fall are the best times to fertilize clover. During spring green your plots will get a little break from the deer and the fertilizer will help it get a good jump going into the summer when the hot temps will take its toll on the clover. Keep the nitrogen low to none. Take a soil test and do what it says. It could save you money on fertilizer.