changes to regs governing side arms on several game lands

Lou

Eight Pointer
Looking at the 2016-17 Regulations Digest, page 66, under “Weapons”:

In accordance with Code of Federal Regulations, Title 36, Chapter III, Part 327, Section 327.13; the possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, or other weapons is prohibited on Butner-Falls of Neuse, Jordan, Kerr Scott, and Vance game lands unless:
- in the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement officer;
- being used for hunting or fishing, with devices being unloaded when transported to, from or between hunting and fishing sites;
- being used at authorized shooting ranges; or
- written permission has been received from the District Commander.

So apparently these game lands no longer allow a person to carry a .22LR pistol as a side arm during the “off-season” while scouting, fishing, etc. Does anyone have any insights as to the reasoning behind these changes?

Lou

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Looking at the 2016-17 Regulations Digest, page 66, under “Weapons”:

In accordance with Code of Federal Regulations, Title 36, Chapter III, Part 327, Section 327.13; the possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, or other weapons is prohibited on Butner-Falls of Neuse, Jordan, Kerr Scott, and Vance game lands unless:
- in the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement officer;
- being used for hunting or fishing, with devices being unloaded when transported to, from or between hunting and fishing sites;
- being used at authorized shooting ranges; or
- written permission has been received from the District Commander.

So apparently these game lands no longer allow a person to carry a .22LR pistol as a side arm during the “off-season” while scouting, fishing, etc. Does anyone have any insights as to the reasoning behind these changes?

Lou

Patience Grasshopper.........googleboy is coming!!

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Guys, you may think you're amusing, but you're not really helping me.

What's important here is the fact that the rules have changed..........the reasons are not that critical!!

Just don't do it........problem solved!

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
I see it didn't make any mention of trapping. I don't trap out there, but a .22 pistol is most people's dispatch weapon...

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Guys, you may think you're amusing, but you're not really helping me.
If you are really all that worried try shooting the NCWRC an e-mail. You will get a totally accurate answer from the people that count. Not second or third hand info. that may or may not be correct.

Lou

Eight Pointer
The reason I asked here is that I believe a lot of folks on this forum are more aware of "the story behind the story" when it comes to NCWRC than I am. I recognize that I might risk getting opinions along with facts, but I'm willing to take that risk. :)

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well varmint season is in all year so wouldn't that qualify as hunting? I'm not sure about coyote hunting on gamelands, but if that is allowed, then you could technically carry anytime, correct?

And yes, I know you are not likely to kill any coyotes with a 22 pistol, but..............nothing in the book says you have to be good at it, or prepared for the game you are hunting!

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well varmint season is in all year so wouldn't that qualify as hunting? I'm not sure about coyote hunting on gamelands, but if that is allowed, then you could technically carry anytime, correct?

And yes, I know you are not likely to kill any coyotes with a 22 pistol, but..............nothing in the book says you have to be good at it, or prepared for the game you are hunting!
Season has to be open for a game animal to coyote hunt on most GL.

Lou

Eight Pointer
How does this apply for Concealed Carry?

In the same "Weapons" section, on page 65, it states:
Firearms may be carried openly, or concealed with a valid concealed handgun permit, at any time on game lands, except for the game lands noted in this section.

Carolinaguy

Six Pointer
After reading the reference you gave, it seems that has been the rule since 2000. NCWRC is just getting on board with what was already written in federal regulations governing those areas.

Lou

Eight Pointer
After reading the reference you gave, it seems that has been the rule since 2000. NCWRC is just getting on board with what was already written in federal regulations governing those areas.

The text I quoted in post #1 is from the 2016-2017 regs digest and it is highlighted in red, indicating that it is a new change for this revision of the digest.

Not sure what you mean by "..........it seems that has been the rule since 2000", but these new restrictions are most definitely a change in the latest regs digest.

Lou

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What that means is that the WRC made a correction this year so the WRC rule book would be in compliance with the federal regulation. The previous WRC rule book had a conflict with the Federal regulation so they corrected the mistake.

Lou

Eight Pointer
What that means is that the WRC made a correction this year so the WRC rule book would be in compliance with the federal regulation. The previous WRC rule book had a conflict with the Federal regulation so they corrected the mistake.

I see........I didn't realize that the NCWRC regulations weren't in line with what the federal "landlords" required on their property. Makes sense now. I'm not happy about it, since I spend a lot of time on Butner/Falls gamelands, but at least I have a clear picture of the "why" behind the new regs.

Thanks,
Lou

Carolinaguy

Six Pointer
The text I quoted in post #1 is from the 2016-2017 regs digest and it is highlighted in red, indicating that it is a new change for this revision of the digest.

Not sure what you mean by "..........it seems that has been the rule since 2000", but these new restrictions are most definitely a change in the latest regs digest.

Lou

Because the CFR referenced in the first post was written in 2000. I actually looked it up, read it and noted the publication date.

aerilus

updating this cause i am moving to the area and was looking into this issue recently. google led me to this thread.

this seems to be the case on all land owned by the army corps of engineers. there has been a lot of action over it lately. which has stired the issue up and is probably why it has shown up tacked on to the nc wildlife resource restrictions. there have been two district court decisions

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=354352

these have created a district split. federal legislature hr 2028 originally had a section (107) to remove the restriction but it did not make it to signing. the supreme court or the federal legislature will have to fix the problem it will probably be a few years yet but ultimately it will probably get handled. the current bill to target the issue is hr 1045

http://www.guns.com/2017/03/15/bill-filed-to-end-army-corps-of-engineers-ban-on-guns/

some more info here
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...eliminate-gun-free-zones-army-corp-engineers/