Olympic Platform Divers

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Did anyone happen to catch the post competition interview from the U.S. silver medal winners, Boudia and Johnson, after the synchronized platform diving last night? Wow! I have heard athletes give recognition to God, and many give the obligatory "point to the sky", but these guys really made the most of their 2 minutes of international NBC airtime. It wasn't so much an interview as a testimony about finding their identity and joy in Christ. I don't have a clip of it right now, but it was clear they wanted to be very intentional about the short time they had to speak.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I was actually shocked, and had to back it up and watch it again. That was really refreshing to have two men who are now mentors and examples to countless youth, give tribute and honor to their Savior as the reason for their joy and success.
It kinda refuels my need to see some good in this evil world.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
What you're witnessing there is the difference between "religion" and "relationship". In this interview from the Trials that took place earlier in the Summer, they humbly acknowledge God's favor on their lives and they clearly view their success with an eternal perspective.

https://youtu.be/gl48FR8Txvk

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks guys! This is EXACTLY what I was looking for to get a point across in one of my Sunday school lessons. I had already written down a reference to Olympic athletes and giving credit to God...and here it is!

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I was considering using this example in my lesson on Sunday as well. Certainly a great example of a "relationship", and in whom we should find our identity.

This week our scripture is Ecclesiastes - essentially, "all is vanity, everything is meaningless, etc.". This is a good example that even being an Olympic champion is meaningless without a higher purpose and identity.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We're studying Samuel/Kings now, and I'm up to where God commanded Saul to wipe out the Amalekites completely. Saul only partially did what God commanded, then took all the credit for himself. So, mine too is somewhat of a vanity issue.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
We're studying Samuel/Kings now, and I'm up to where God commanded Saul to wipe out the Amalekites completely. Saul only partially did what God commanded, then took all the credit for himself. So, mine too is somewhat of a vanity issue.

Saul's disobedience cost him his throne and the Amalekites continued to pester the Jewish people for over 500 years as a consequence of his disobedience. But, Esther took care of the last known troublemaker from that lineage when Haman was hung from the gallows.

ETA: Sorry for the thread drift.

Last edited: