New rifle, very loud saftey

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
Thanks for that link 41magfan, I found this in it.------------------- On 11/8/2014 at 5:43 AM, steve863 said:
I mean how loud can it be? I could probably work the bolt on any of my bolt actions without making too much noise, so I can't imagine not being able to dampen the sound when switching off a safety.

Like snapping a dry twig. Its the loudest safety I have ever heard. I had a guy look at it this morning. He swapped out the safety button. It did the trick. Now if I apply a little downward pressure while sliding the safety forward, it is totally quiet. It took him about 15 minutes.
132 eight pointer 252

I was about to say if there anything like the savage axis's its probly very easy to correct. Fixed a similar issue on my buddys axis, from the factory they had painted the entire trigger mech. Took it apart and cleaned it with a cortland tool stone and some lapping compound then sprayed it off and oiled it. Trigger broke better than a timney and trigger and safety were dead quiet. Before you could plumb hear the sear working from all the grit in it

ducknut

Eight Pointer
You're right. I apologize for my post. I guess I've always been of the mind set that the safety is more of a one two punch. Click boom so to speak. It is annoying when they're loud, even if it only bothers us.

No need to apoligize. I've never been accused of having thin skin. It's a forum, I asked a question askin people opinions.

ducknut

Eight Pointer
Disassembled, nothing seemed out of the ordinary. When I have more time I'll take the trigger apart and take a look. Thanks for all the replies.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I have a new American compact left hand stainless in .308 that I am getting ready to get ready for deer season. I have not even mounted a scope yet but I'll report back on what the safety sounds like. After using google to search "Ruger American loud safety" I'm more than a little curious to check mine out now.

<>< Fish

treestock

Four Pointer
It may sound crazy but a lot of times as I click the safety off and have made the decision to shoot the sound will stop a deer in its tracks if they are close enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. My safety is loud and i like it. By the time I pop it off safety I got the scope lined up and it stops them outta curiosity everytime

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I checked my rifle today and the safety is loud when moving from FIRE to SAFE but not loud when moving from SAFE to FIRE. There is a hollow plastic "tonk" sound when moving putting the rifle on SAFE. I guess I got lucky with this one.

<>< Fish

ducknut

Eight Pointer
So, I said I would report on the rifle after shooting. I just finished printing a return shipping label to ruger. It is light striking primers. Right at before November. Arg.

old school

Six Pointer
Shadycove is right about gunsmithing. I was in a gun shop last Friday and a man brought in a Model 700 that he said had a safety that was too stiff and loud. Gunsmith refused to do any work on the safety stating that any accidents resulting in his work would involve him in being open to litigation. He would not recommend any work to be done on it. He did mention the two finger pinching approach mentioned in earlier posts here.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Uh... NO....

I had a friend of a friend kill himself with that very same technique. He stood up to get down, grabbed the barrel of his rifle and it went off pointed directly at his head. Never ever take your safety off until you are ready to pull the trigger.

He did qualify his statement saying if you follow all safe gun handling. Having the barrel pointed at your face is not safe. Now I think a manual safety is a great thing to use to avoid things like this.

Last edited:

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
This past Sunday evening I clicked the safety off on my American at a big doe at 30 yards out and she never quit eating acorns. It still is the loudest safety on any of my hunting rifles.

<>< Fish