Oak island

Cgriffin333

I am leaving for 5 days on oak island with the family on the 20th, I was hoping for some pointers on some surf fishing I usually fish the waterway on west end but we got a house on the east beach so thought I would try some surf fishing with the kids. Just looking to catch anything dosent matter usually take a cast net to catch mullet for bait so any info on what to use or where to try would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
You won't see much if any mullet in the surf this time of year. Especially on the east end. May be able to go down by the bridge (east end older one) and catch some along the dirt path. Or go to boat ramp off fish factory rd and try finding some running the banks there. When we go in the summer, I don't expect much. If your just looking anything, go by Clem's and get some fresh bait shrimp. Small whiting, pompano and a $h!tload of little 12"-14" sharks. You may be better off fishing the waterfront at southport. Sometimes there's a decent trout bite around daylight but it's very hit or miss. Or.....if your up to a challenge, get some fiddlers and fish the piers on the island for sheepshead. Should be able to see'em on the pilings around high tide.

Or just talk the family into waiting until around end of September or first couple weeks of October. :):):)
That place is a whole different world then. Mullet in the surf so thick I swear you could walk across'em. And hungry fish following them.

Last edited:

CBD21

Eight Pointer
Only chance of mullet will be back waters, as suggested hit up Clem's and get some fresh shrimp. Should be able to pick up whiting and pompano then cut one and catch blues and lil sharks till your tired of it. Can also pick up a few flounder in the back waters, waterway, and piers if the time and effort is put in.

Like Darkthirty said oak island is a whole different place in the fall I will be there the whole month of October.

Combat Diver

Eight Pointer
I'll be fishing just south of OB in Holden Beach in another month. Looking forward to getting some lines wet and some hunting in while on leave.

CD

Brian N

Button Buck
Try 9th ave there's a foot bridge that crosses a creek there. There's a small floating dock down next to that bridge. Good place to catch mullet and menhaden. Also try fish factory rd. Watch for gators lol. There's usually shrimp around the docks at fish factory road at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cgriffin333

Thanks guys for all the great info I will put it all to use, I was wondering if anyone knows if the is any access to the the waterway entering the beach at caswell was looking on google maps and looked good right where they meet but wasn't sure if there was any public access or not

DFisher

Eight Pointer
I caught an 18" black drum on the pier there last Thursday, but did not see much else. Couple guys caught a bunch of trout using a float, fishing live shrimp about 18" below the float, not very big.