who runs beagles and who runs hounds ?

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
What type of dogs do you boys plan to run this year? I've always ran hounds, mainly because I field trailed them out of deer season. I see more and more boys around here going to smaller dogs. Most of the guys in our club run beagles or mixed up dogs. What are the reasons you run hounds or beagles and how many do you turn out at a time? Me, I typically haul 2-3 dogs unless its just a few of us hunting and I am the only one bringing dogs I will bring 4-5.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I like and have hounds, walkers some probably mixed with some July somewhere down the line. I think the walkers tend to be less noisy in the kennel, but that is just my experience. I have hunted with both over the years and can honestly say you can have fast and slow dogs of either. I like the ones that drive a piece of game and I have seen both hounds and beagles get it done. I don't think it is whether it is beagle or hound but how it is breed that makes the difference preferred by the hunter. I usually hunt 8 at the time. I will hunt just a couple to a few when hunting small blocks/heads. All of mine are collar broke and makes it really nice to hunt them. That said, with properly trained dogs I believe both can be controlled equally well.

treestock

Four Pointer
I'd rather cast two long dogs on the slow days that can hold it together but don't have huge speed than a whole pack of beagles just because it's easier to catch two than 6. That and pen manners, I've had a few beagles and they were harder to keep in the pen. I try to keep tree breeds but always got a few reliable walkers that I wind up with from trial guys that just ain't quick enough for there liking

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
I have walkers. I have had as many as 13 walkers and have had as many as 32 deer beagles when I was growing up. We hunted 12 beagles at the time and they were deer heathens. As times changed a lot of people wanted the bigger dogs so I switched as well. I hunted 10 walkers last year and I will honestly say it is too dang many. I am not going to hunt but 6-8 at a time this year. I like that range of dogs. My hounds mostly come off real good deer stock and are not registered but I do have a few that are chase registered. All mine are alpha broke as well and their ain't no other way to have them.

buckshot32182

Eight Pointer
11 Walkers. Wouldn't want anything besides what I have. 8 of my 11 are under 26 months old and will flat out scorch ones :donk:donk:donk:donk:donk. The other 3 I have, have meant the world to me. Two are turning 12 and the other 13. They were the teachers of all my young dogs and they will still get after one until about lunch time, sometimes even later.