got lucky

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
ever since I was a young deer hunter back in the 70s reading Outdoor Life I wanted to hunt deer in SC in August,,,,,,,

last year they moved the season structure around down there and now the hunt club I am in has a two week bow season, August 15-31. Last year I had no luck getting a decent enough buck in range,,,,,,(club rules 6 pt or better),,,,,

couldn't go on the 15th due to work considerations,,,,,,,,but yesterday I needed to run down to Wilmington to do some LEO coordination,,,,,so I left a might early and sat a stand for a few hours,,,,,seen nothing but beautiful morning,,,,,,went back last night,,,,,,,,got to the club on time but pulled a flat (reckon I need to move up to 10 ply for that slag down there),,,,,,,,got it fixed, cleaned up a little and was in stand by 6:30,,,,,,,,,,around 7 the deer started moving and had action till dark,,,,,,,this one came by just at the end of shooting light,,,,,,,,,,,

not a monster, but my first velvet buck and I like the heck out of him,,,,,7 pt, 165 lbs (on scale),,,,made the 8 he was with look tiny (in body size),,,,,,

(excuse fuzziness, had to use my old phone as I forgot my camera)

fuIuZGJ4FXik3Y8nEFkiwvOhjgfAc6_JMOO1zp_LHEvzjqTjq7_H3hDvurdnmG9ctgQc7pl13cEdcg=w1761-h990-no

w56479RYKXiVgOcmEO95bRZ_5gFhibkKWSqO9puXE5cjOC-ae--urTVFoBdFtW7iH5r7XLoTxy8WHA=w1761-h990-no

interesting (to me) is that this area has a genetic issue with brow tines,,,,,,,a lot of bucks have none,,,,this fellow has one,,,,,,,

he is narrow framed like the one I shot from this stand last year,,,,may be kin,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Congrads on the velvet buck, I couldn't even imagine sitting in the stand on hot days like yesterday.

Redeye

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Congratulations! Way to break the ice!

By the way, I started the Archery Kill 2016 thread for you to get kicked off. :)

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
shady spot in the woods,,,,,25 ft up a tree,,,,,east breeze blowing 10-15 knots,,,,,wasn't bad at all,,,,,I'd be down there now (got a different stand with an old, wide warrior waiting for me) 'cept ,,,,have had grandsons till 5 minutes ago,,,,,them two (2 and 7 years old) keep this old man run ragged!!

thanks everybody,,,,always wanted to hunt one in velvet,,,,,guess that bucket list item is done,,,,,,,,,,,

Eggman

Twelve Pointer
Good job! I have yet to kill a nice buck in velvet. What are your plans with the horns? I think they make great mounts.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Good job! I have yet to kill a nice buck in velvet. What are your plans with the horns? I think they make great mounts.

Even though he isn't a giant stud of a deer and I have racks of much larger deer, this fellow is getting mounted by Ryan at Garrison Taxidermy (does great work by the way).

That is if he didn't get messed up by the club inspection but they said they would be careful

Aged at 3 1/2 or better,,,,,seconfd heaviest deer I killed down there