Trespassers

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
My son hasn't sent me any pictures yet, but after checking his cameras on the property he bought in Davie he had plenty of doe shots, some neighborhood kids on motorbikes and 4 wheelers, and at 10:45PM a couple came sauntering through on a 2 track using walking staffs, snake boots and the female was packing a side arm. He doesn't know who they are but hopefully one of his neighbors will be able to identify them. I'll be doing some scouting as soon as it cools down and hope to run up with some of these people who seem to think other people's property can be treated as a public park.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Yea, I have trespassers too. I just don't have enough to fight that battle. May get 1 on camera a month. They aren't hunting. They don't vandalise anything. They don't trespass during the season and they don't steal my stuff so I'd rather not piss off the locals. Nobody's lives on the property so it's not as much a safety concern. I'm not looking forward to the day I have to prosecute but it's likely to happen somewhere I hunt.

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've had all kinds of tresspassers in the past, some I've had to throw out, some I've had to prosecute, some are just dog walkers that use the power line easement as their private walkway. Most of the time if I can identify them I can talk to them and resolve anything right away, only rarely does it call for any more drastic action.
When most of the violators find out that a high powered rifle may be pointed at them inadvertently at some time during their stroll through posted property they get the idea to find a safer place to walk their dog. I tell ALL of them that they aren't the only one's trespassing and that I could only control the actions of those folks that have permission to be on the property, most people respect that.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
^This. When did he buy the land? Was it recently? Has he posted it? Was there some sort of unwritten agreement with the previous owner and these people? Are they aware it has changed hands?

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Just as a suggestion, I have traded a nice fat doe for some trespass control with some of my adjoining neighbors. If there are houses bordering the property it may not be a bad idea to take a Saturday afternoon to go around and knock on doors and introduce yourself. Had one elderly lady one time who said she would keep an eye on things and call me anytime she noticed anything if I would keep her yard picked up and looking nice... I said absolutely!!

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My son hasn't sent me any pictures yet, but after checking his cameras on the property he bought in Davie he had plenty of doe shots, some neighborhood kids on motorbikes and 4 wheelers, and at 10:45PM a couple came sauntering through on a 2 track using walking staffs, snake boots and the female was packing a side arm. He doesn't know who they are but hopefully one of his neighbors will be able to identify them. I'll be doing some scouting as soon as it cools down and hope to run up with some of these people who seem to think other people's property can be treated as a public park.
You don't think they were coon hunting if they came through at 10:45 at night dressed like that?

Last edited:

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
You don't think they were coon hunting if they came through at 10:45 at night dressed like that?

No he said it appeared that they were just out for an evening stroll with their headlamps on and their walking staffs. They went down the two track and came back about 20-25 minutes later. This property is at the end of a paved road with three homes within 100 yards of where the entry lane begins.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
^This. When did he buy the land? Was it recently? Has he posted it? Was there some sort of unwritten agreement with the previous owner and these people? Are they aware it has changed hands?

He bought it several months ago, the access point and all around the property boundary is posted, previous owners live in Statesville so don't know of any previous agreements. I don't see how they could be enjoying any semblance of nature at that time of night, but the home contractor will begin work in early October so maybe that will deter some of it unless thieves start showing up to steal building materials and copper or wiring. I might have to start overnighting there some during deer seasons just to be a presence. Maybe we can get the word out that trespassing won't be tolerated????

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
No he said it appeared that they were just out for an evening stroll with their headlamps on and their walking staffs. They went down the two track and came back about 20-25 minutes later. This property is at the end of a paved road with three homes within 100 yards of where the entry lane begins.
Sounds like they were checking on their "garden":rolleyes:

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
^ That's what I was thinking, might be best to stay quiet till you get more pics of them coming out with their produce and then hand it over to the sheriff.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Any recent Europeans move in to the area? Apparently in most places in Europe it is ok to trespass if you are walking through.

I am shocked but we have had zero trespassing issues in 2 years at our Virginia property. Virginia has a stricter trespassing law than we do here. That may have something to do with it. A warning here and 6 months in jail there.

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
Just as a suggestion, I have traded a nice fat doe for some trespass control with some of my adjoining neighbors. If there are houses bordering the property it may not be a bad idea to take a Saturday afternoon to go around and knock on doors and introduce yourself. Had one elderly lady one time who said she would keep an eye on things and call me anytime she noticed anything if I would keep her yard picked up and looking nice... I said absolutely!!

Excellent advice. My uncle's neighbors became lifelong friends and reliable folks to chase off trespassers.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Any recent Europeans move in to the area? Apparently in most places in Europe it is ok to trespass if you are walking through.

Most of the European countries have public footpaths (ways) which traverse private land. They pretty much all have names or are numbered, have been there for hundreds of years, and the landowners are obliged by law to keep them open for the public. Where they cross fence lines they build special pedestrian gates which keep livestock confined. In the UK you're not allowed to ride a bicycle or horse on the footpaths, but can roll a baby carriage or wheelchair as far is reasonably possible. There are also public bridlepaths for horseback riding which cross private land.

I've walked a number of the foot paths in the Norfolk region of England through cow pastures with wild eyed bulls watching us, swans swimming in the canals, and me ready to retreat to the canal if the bulls charged. Some went through pea, rape and wheat fields, through the edge of people's yards, through the woods, and just about everywhere you can imagine.

When growing up in Robeson County there were footpaths and trails everywhere which cut cross country along the edges of people's fields, through woods, across streams and interconnecting neighboring farms. They weren't used as much as they were before cars came along, but many of the country residents used them to visit another farmer, go for Sunday afternoon strolls, to go fishing in nearby streams or do a little squirrel hunting with permission. I'm old enough to remember when some of the poorer farmers didn't have a vehicle and relied on a mule and wagon to get around or rode bareback on their plow mule or horse to get around from place to place. For shorter distances they usually went by "shanks his mare" (walked).

Even though they were legally trespassing, everyone did it and so also allowed it on their own property. The practice was probably a holdover from our English ancestors who followed the practice in the colonies.

Last edited: