Teosinte...great cover and seed source

Eggman

Twelve Pointer
I am not sure how familiar you are with this plant. Here are some pics of some fields we planted early June.IMG_3091.jpgIMG_3092.jpgIMG_3093.jpg

This plant makes for great cover once the frost hits. The seed heads are like small corn cobs and will hold till spring turkey season.

These plots are set up for our late January dove hunts. There is no issue with holding seed that long.

If you are looking for standing cover for deer, late season five crops, or plots to draw turkeys come spring you should try it out.

I am sharing this as an FYI. I had never seen or heard of this plant before I moved to FL and have been using it on my farm in Anson County with great success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
how invasive is it? does it "volunteer" all over the place once planted?

I did some research on it when it was first mentioned on here (by you? don't recall,,,it was a month or so back),,,,but didn't see any info on that in my short research session

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Interesting, this is the first I've heard of it , I just did a little research session as well , gonna have to read more about it ... Looks good

Cootmeurer

Eight Pointer
Teosinte is the wild and ancient ancestor of corn. Had never heard of using it as a food plot, but it does make sense.

Still grows wild in Mexico and C. America