777 vs Blackhorn 209

deerslyr30-06

Old Mossy Horns
Wanting to hear some reviews on the two loose powders. Just bought a new muzzleloader (TC Pro hunter fx) and I want to shoot loose powder in this gun. I've shot muzzleloader a lot, but I have always used the pellets. The pellets always seem to be much dirtier and more corrosive than the loose powder from what I have read. So seeing if anyone has any experience with one or both.

cwcook68

Eight Pointer
If you shoot Blackhorn you'll never shoot anything else. I shoot 100 grains through my Accura V2 and it's a breeze to clean.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The only possible negative Blackhorn could have would be it's more expensive. Far superior in every other aspect.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

rustvyper

Ten Pointer
Wanting to hear some reviews on the two loose powders. Just bought a new muzzleloader (TC Pro hunter fx) and I want to shoot loose powder in this gun. I've shot muzzleloader a lot, but I have always used the pellets. The pellets always seem to be much dirtier and more corrosive than the loose powder from what I have read. So seeing if anyone has any experience with one or both.

Do you love cleaning up smelly goo?! Do you like rusty metal?! Do you love having to swab every few shots!? Then Triple 7 is for you!

No, seriously - BH209. You'll never look back.

deerslyr30-06

Old Mossy Horns
Main reason I ask, is I read a handful of reviews of people having issues with it going off in cold temperatures, and that the powder would retain moisture. I know some of the misfires would be because of improper primers, or breach plug channel design. What kind of primers do you that use BH 209, use?

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Main reason I ask, is I read a handful of reviews of people having issues with it going off in cold temperatures, and that the powder would retain moisture. I know some of the misfires would be because of improper primers, or breach plug channel design. What kind of primers do you that use BH 209, use?

Blackhorn is less likely to absorb water than 777. There was some issues with CVA breech plugs but you can buy a breech plug specifically designed for BH209. I use Fiocchi 209 shotgun primers.

dhsten

Ten Pointer
I tried blackhorn, didn't knock my socks off. It seemed as dirty as anything else and I like the convience of pellets. I don't shoot a lot though. I just sight in and maybe shoot a couple deer and clean it up for the next year. No rust or anything like that.

deerslyr30-06

Old Mossy Horns
I've read far more good than bad about the BH 209, but of the ones that I read, the issues with the gun in particular I bought, were some that had issues with it.

Is the 777 loose powder far cleaner than the 777 pellets?

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The 777 is the same loose or pellets. You get slightly less crud ring with loose but there isn't much difference really. I don't know much about the gun you bought but Carlos at Eds should. It may be that your flame channel needs to be opened up to 1/8" as that is what the blackhorn specific plugs for CVA are.

deerslyr30-06

Old Mossy Horns
I'm not worried about how much the powder costs. I won't do much shooting other than sighting it in and to hunt. I'll probably give it a try. I also read that you need the proper bullet and sabot to be able to guarantee that you have no air or moisture flow down the barrel and around the bullet.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I would start out trying 110 grains of BH209, 260 Grain Harvester PT Gold bullet and the Short Black Harvester smooth sabots. If you prefer a solid copper bullet you can swap out the Barnes 250 Grain T-EZ with almost the same point of impact in my experience.

Last edited:

LIVIT

Four Pointer
I have a CVA MR coming. I shot 777 pellets for years, but only 10-12 times a yr and never had much of a ring problem. Rust, tks for that Ballistics link, thats impressive. I am planning on shooting the Hornady 250gr sst low drag and plan on doing more ML target shooting. Will the BH actually give me a better MOA too ? and can I use the winchester regular primers or should I go for the magnums ? tks....

rustvyper

Ten Pointer
I have a CVA MR coming. I shot 777 pellets for years, but only 10-12 times a yr and never had much of a ring problem. Rust, tks for that Ballistics link, thats impressive. I am planning on shooting the Hornady 250gr sst low drag and plan on doing more ML target shooting. Will the BH actually give me a better MOA too ? and can I use the winchester regular primers or should I go for the magnums ? tks....

Yes. ALL loose powder will give better accuracy than pellets which don't evenly ignite. The only argument for pellets is that they are easy.
I laugh every year about the guys shooting 150 grains of pellets out of their 24" ML. 50% of those pellets are igniting outside the barrel!
I'd go with magnum primers.
I use the brass Remington STS primers. They seal the touch hole better than the aluminum ones & wont foul your breach as badly.
Never had a misfire.

LIVIT

Four Pointer
Yes. ALL loose powder will give better accuracy than pellets which don't evenly ignite. The only argument for pellets is that they are easy.
I laugh every year about the guys shooting 150 grains of pellets out of their 24" ML. 50% of those pellets are igniting outside the barrel!
I'd go with magnum primers.
I use the brass Remington STS primers. They seal the touch hole better than the aluminum ones & wont foul your breach as badly.
Never had a misfire.

Tks, I have witnessed the magnum loads (3 Pellets) wasting alot of the load, this was a test done at range when the pellets first came out. We put a white sheet on ground in front of shooter. I was amazed at how much was being wasted. I dont have a need to shoot a magnum load, but being able to increase/decrease load using granular, I know would help me to perfect the best load. Now to find a local dealer of the BH powder and order the new breech plug, again tks Rust !
Gadget, I do have an interest in eventually doing something smokeless. But right now after a 5 year medical hiatus from hunting and shooting, I am just starting to restock my Armory. If its ok with you, when I get ready I will shoot ya a PM...tks DJ

kysdad

Button Buck
I'll be trying a brand new CVA Wolf with the BH 209 breech plug and a brand new bottle of BH. I'll be testing several different brands of bullets. I'll let you know how she does.

kysdad

Button Buck
Just an update: I'll probably never switch to anything besides BH 209 unless they come up with something that blows it away. The Wolf shot everything I put in it well and the barrel cleaned up like a dream. I settled with 80 grains of BH and Powerbelt Areolite 250 grain. I know a bunch of people hate the Powerbelts, but they've performed perfect for me on deer. Needless to say, I'm very happy and looking forward to the season.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Carlos at Eds Gun shop should have Blackhorn unless he sold out recently. I would be glad to pick it up for anybody if the can pick it up from me near the Raleigh fairgrounds

deerslyr30-06

Old Mossy Horns
For those that shoot BH209, what do you store it in for the field? In a powder flask, or just fix some quick loaders?

Also, with using it and unloading after hunting, what do you do with the powder to ensure that it didn't get any moisture in it?

rustvyper

Ten Pointer
I use a brass powder flask with a 90gr volumetric spout.
The static cling is annoying but other than that it works great.

8DuckCaller

Button Buck
BH 209. The best. Also, try Parker Bullets.
www.parkerproductionsinc.com
Best bullets ever. I know that is a bold statement, but they are. The owner is a great guy to talk with and he mailed me a couple of different bullets to try and they all shot well in my CVA. It is hard to believe how accurate they are, even out to 300yds. Give them a try.