Hunting rifle

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
25-06 Remington is a very underrated round if you ask me. High velocity combined with a good amount of knockdown power, plus its light enough for varmit use with the right ammo and wont tear em up (unless you wanna see a coyote explode)

Beware though, they are known barrel burners. If you buy a used one inspect the bore real good. Factory ammo wont do it any quicker than any other caliber, but some handloaders load em hotter'n hell and it will burn em out fast

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
ANY bolt gun....except the newer Remingtons....In 35 yrs of gunsmithing, I had to replace the inner rails the bolt slides on inside a BAR MANY times, and hone/polish the burrs off the aluminum receiver from the bolt slamming/slopping around down those rails.

25-06 or 270

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I doubt that the average deer rifle will have the barrel burned out unless it is a semiauto and someone ran it hot all the time. There are few rifles out there that will burn barrels out under 500-700 rounds if they are shot the way they are supposed to be. I would not be surprised if the average deer rifle gets more than 200-300 rounds down the bore during the lifetime of the owner. That's 10-15 boxes of ammo. Most guys shoot one box to sight in their rifle and will use a second box to hunt with over 2 - 3 years. Then they will buy another box, shoot a couple to check the scope and use the rest to hunt with. Two years later they buy another box...and so on.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Like I said there is a higher bear population here than my hometown. The bears here are not the Hyde county 500lb plus a big one is 300lbs. I think I'm going to go with a more dedicated deer rifle I just want something if the opportunity presented itself a bear came by my stand I'd feel confident in the gun to take it ethically. It sounds like maybe the 25-06 could do that. If I go on a dog hunt I'll borrow something a little bigger. I just dont know if my 243 would have cleanly killed a bear never saw one so the issue never arose. If I was going to specifically hunt bear the especially like the Hyde county variety I'd take a 30-06 those eastern bear get big.

I'm from Pender county and most of our bears 200-300 lbs. I'd be very cautious using anything under a .270 for bear. I know smaller calibers will kill them, heck you could kill one with a .22lr if you had to. Just not what I would recommend. This coming from a guy that deer hunts with a 6mm Remington.

C52

Eight Pointer
Just preference the x bolt and bar are so close in price one reason I'm leaning towards the bar other is since it's gas operated Im assuming less felt recoil is that true? Not that when hunting I'm worried about it but I could shoot that .243 100 times in a t shirt. Which made me a good shot with it. I'm just worried I wouldn't be able to do the same with the 270 which is why I thought 25-06. Like you say though 270 ammo is everywhere where 25-06 is harder to find I do have 2 sporting good stores here I know they carry it though still more selection in 270.

You asked about 3 rounds, so that's how I answered, but after rethinking here it is. You are concerned about recoil. The bar is very soft. I have owned 2, a 308 and a 7 mag. Even the 7 mag was soft with the bar. The 308 was as soft or softer than my bro in laws 243 ruger. If you want to shot a bear, and recoil is on your mind, get a 308 bar. I'll bet a 30-06 bar would bother you to shoot either.

Southside

Ten Pointer
Out of your given choices I would go with the BAR 270. I've used a BAR 30-06 for many years. IMO BAR's are very smooth shooting rifles.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

showtime

Well thank you all for your advise and input. I went to look at some guns came so close to buying the bar 270. But I picked up a model 70 243 and it just felt right. Preferred it over everything else I picked up. I know what to expect from it and I bought some 95 ssts for hunting season. I'm not going deliberately hunt bears with it but if one came by my stand I'd feel comfortable putting one in his boiler would take him down. I get the itch to ever go out west or i ever get into the bear and hound thing I'll look at getting something else.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Well thank you all for your advise and input. I went to look at some guns came so close to buying the bar 270. But I picked up a model 70 243 and it just felt right. Preferred it over everything else I picked up. I know what to expect from it and I bought some 95 ssts for hunting season. I'm not going deliberately hunt bears with it but if one came by my stand I'd feel comfortable putting one in his boiler would take him down. I get the itch to ever go out west or i ever get into the bear and hound thing I'll look at getting something else.

Good deal. Let us know how the SST turns out for you. I'll be shooting the 120s in my 6.8 spc this fall.

IIRC, I think nosler came out with a trophy bonded in 243 recently. Might make a good all-around option as well

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
Just curious why you want to sell it I'm going sometime in the future to the outlets. In Greensboro and I have family in new bern I visit if you have a place to shoot it I'd like to shoot it. I'll pay for the rounds. At least I can get a feel of how it shoots before I buy a caliber rifle I've never shot.

Deal fell thru so im keeping it for now and adding a bell & carlson stock and tweaking the zero for superformance 117gr sst's. Ill pm you my cell number and ill be glad to let ya swing by and put a thru down the tube an see how ya like it

BAR25-06

Six Pointer
the 25-06 in the steel receiver BAR mk2 Safari is a sweet shooter, 24" barrel from the factory. Very soft recoil, you can easily maintain your view through the scope, which helps a lot calling your shot placement and watching the animals reaction. i would not want to tote one in the mountains however as mine weighs about 10lbs loaded with scope and sling. it is more of a stand/beanfield rig and a good one too. however unless you have a 24" barrel you are better off with a .243, the lightweight BAR in .243 is your gun and it is a death ray. for bear id probably choose the lightweight BAR in .308 or 7mm-08

Last edited: