Tall tine tubers

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
From whitetail institute. Have any of you ever used it? What was your results?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Famous Amos

My results with it aren't good at all. You have to plant it very very thin and if you plant it thick at all it wont come up much at all. Not a good product if you ask me. You are better off planting some turnips from a farm supply store.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks for the responses guys. I am going to plant one plot with oats, Crimson clover and daikon radish, but wanted to try something different in the other plot.

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
Tall Tine is a good product, but IMO turnips are not an ideal plot for most parts of NC. It just doesn't get cold enough anywhere but the mountains early enough in the year for them to be attractive to deer. Ag store turnips won't be any better. If you want a brassica for NC an early radish variety and/or sweet lupine would be a better bet. Further north turnips are money during late November-December; but IMO NC is too far south for them to be a great plot option.

Last edited:

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
My results with it aren't good at all. You have to plant it very very thin and if you plant it thick at all it wont come up much at all. Not a good product if you ask me. You are better off planting some turnips from a farm supply store.

Turnips from a supply store wont do very well if you plant them thick either. Turnip seeds are all the same size regardless of variety. 4 lbs per acre is all you want. any more any they will come up looking yellow and will be stunted. Turnips also need lots of nitrogen to do well.

Buckshot1

Twelve Pointer
I mix them in with my oats and red clover, I don't care when the eat them so long as its beneficial. I even throw in some soy beans and buckwheat for something they can nibble on white the rest takes off. and that red clover will get hammered while they are growing their antlers. Turkeys love it too. something in the mix for everyone. I actually spread each seed separately so that I make sure I get the coverage I desire and not plant anything too thick. It goes further in other plots as well that are nearby on the same property. Giving them a buffet for all seasons not just one.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks for the responses guys. I am going to plant one plot with oats, Crimson clover and daikon radish, but

That is the exact mix I am planting tomorrow. I am just trying to decide if I want to mix it all together or plant the radishes in a separate plot.

BASSFAN07

Twelve Pointer
I just planted 1.5 acres with oats, durana clover, ladino clover, daikon radish, and turnips. First time for radish. Hope they do well

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Anyone know when it will rain? I planted some stuff before the supposed hurricane we were gonna get. Haven't had a drop of rain in almost 2 weeks.

Ashy Larry

Ten Pointer
Yea I sowed ladino, not white. I may overseed in the spring with Durana and see how it does mixed. Might even buy that retardedly expensive spray.