Who else is planting this week?

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We going to be planting apache arrowleaf and red clover and winter grazer rye up in Northern Rockingham county tomorrow. Set out some feeders. Put out some cameras....

ncnat

Ten Pointer
Finished my last plot Wednesday and finished my buddy's plots yesterday. I say I'm finished, mother nature is really beating me down this year.

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I broadcasted wheat and some red and crimson clover this past wednesday. Hopefully it didnt wash away and is coming up soon after the rain we had

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Checked the plot today. The rain washed my clover seed a little bit but its still coming up well. I bet I didnt see a dozen wheat sprouts...any ideas why that would be?

Also, I broadcasted into dead grass and on bare dirt (but I drug the back of a graden rake over all of it to cover it lightly), the clover came up much better in the grass..for anyone wanting to try the same thing.

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Wheat germination rates go waaaay down when seed is old or poorly stored. I'll bet one of these reasons is to blame.

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
No turkeys around there. As for the seed itself, it was given to me straight out of a silo from a farmer...that is all I know about how it was stored. I still have some left so I will try to reseed next time rain is forecasted.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Turkeys can wipe out a wheat plot or a chufa plot. I am not planting chufa again in rockingham county.

81toyota

Twelve Pointer
Im planting Wednesday morning wanted to do it last week but just couldn't get things to line up right to plant

BASSFAN07

Twelve Pointer
On 9/5/16, I planted about 1-3/4 acres of oats. I drug a section of chain link fence to cover it. I then broadcast durana, ladino, daikon radish and purple top turnips on top. I haven't had a drop of rain since. I've got about 10% oat germination so far that are an inch or two tall and I have other seeds beginning to germinate as well. I'd really love a sprinkle.

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
On 9/5/16, I planted about 1-3/4 acres of oats. I drug a section of chain link fence to cover it. I then broadcast durana, ladino, daikon radish and purple top turnips on top. I haven't had a drop of rain since. I've got about 10% oat germination so far that are an inch or two tall and I have other seeds beginning to germinate as well. I'd really love a sprinkle.

I planted maybe the first or so, right before that TD came through and got a good rain. Clover came up well and now so has my wheat....but no rain has left my clover wilted. I'm afraid it is done for.

Just went to look and most of my clover has died

Last edited:

newdeerhunter011

Eight Pointer
Sucks waiting on some rain. I've cleared/stumped about 8 acres of cutover recently and got it all plowed up. Still waiting for a good weekend to plant.

Gilly

Ten Pointer
Going to artificially water my food plot this weekend with a sprayer. Laid out $100 worth of seed the day after the TS, got a little rain on it that night, and maybe some rain last night but nothing in between and the forecast for rain does not look promising. I will see whats come up on Saturday.

81toyota

Twelve Pointer
Got a question my clover is coming up good but my soybeans not so much, I still got 2 spots I need to plant. I'm going to build a simply drag to use next year and maybe when I finish planting next week. is there anything I need to know about making a chainlink drag? any way to keep the seed from bunching up?

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My brother and I planted a foodplot strip down at the dog club today..... winterpeas, oats, and gulf annual ryegrass.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We planted on the 10th. They were calling for a good chance the following 3 days, but it never happened and it's been dusty dry ever since.

Calling for a decent chance of storms the next few days. Hope we get some.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The mist this morning is the closest thing to rain we've had in several weeks. Hopefully the rain will set in and I'll be able to plant in the next couple of weeks.
I tilled a section of the vegetable garden on Saturday and almost choked to death on the dust cloud. There was zero moisture for more than a foot below the ground surface.
My plots are in areas that drain well, so I can only imagine how low ground moisture is in those areas. No hope for establishing any roots before the first frost this year so it looks like it's gonna be another year for grains and maybe a sprinkle of crimson clover.

Last edited:

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
I planted a plot here in Caswell county yesterday and it's rained so hard this morning that I'm thinking it might have washed out.

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
Planted into very dry conditions yesterday, and the rain today should get everything up soon. I till, broadcast, then re-till. For small spots of clover & turnips, I just till & broadcast. Clover seems to do better if you leave it right on top. This year, I did a mix of oats, wheat, white & red clover, turnips & kale in the larger plots & mixed the clover and turnips for the smaller woods plots. It's always interesting to watch how it grows. The red clover seems to do better in the summer, but just when you think the white cliver's dead from the heat, it greens up once the temps fall and into the spring. I'm trying to get three seasons out of my plots. I may skip the corn & beans this year.

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
Planted into very dry conditions yesterday, and the rain today should get everything up soon. I till, broadcast, then re-till. For small spots of clover & turnips, I just till & broadcast or mow as closely as I can & broadcast in the paths.. Clover seems to do better if you leave it right on top. This year, I did a mix of oats, wheat, white & red clover, turnips & kale in the larger plots & mixed the clover and turnips for the smaller woods plots. It's always interesting to watch how it grows. The red clover seems to do better in the summer, but just when you think the white cliver's dead from the heat, it greens up once the temps fall and into the spring. I'm trying to get three seasons out of my plots. I may skip the corn & beans this year.

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
I checked a plot this afternoon that I planted yesterday, we had 3 inches of rain today and the seed has washed to the top of the ground, too wet to try to cover the seed again.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah we haven't had any rain hardly since we planted up in Northern Rockingham on Labor Day. I have seen this happen before. Probably wont get much growth cause after Oct 12.... we start getting frosts up there. This another reason why I use Graze king winter rye up there. The rye will grow into November.

davidson county

Eight Pointer
put a small plot in. growing good with this rain and cool temps. was not sure it would make it due to no rain at the first of the month.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
went out Wednesday & spread 150lbs of rye & 50 lbs of oats. had decent burn down from spraying 2 weeks ago & used my drag harrow.

guess we'll see what happens, may wind up seeding over it in a couple weeks.

BASSFAN07

Twelve Pointer
My plot from 9/5 is coming and nicely. Oats, clover, and daikon radish coming up and the neighbors are appreciating my efforts.

db7da10f5ed5d6d8b0bab266c28fb22e.jpg

acc8846f4837e0759393009a4f19906a.jpg

5aa5c39a62c57c753fd4427e07f11d7d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Planted a 1/2 acre of oats, crimson clover and winterpeas today here in Harnett. Our foodplot down at the dog club in Scotland county is coming up good. Went down this morning to open up some shooting lanes for our stand and saw turkey dropping and deer tracks in plot. Love seeing all the hard work pay off.