Sautéed Dove Pieces

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Warning: no bacon, sour cream, nor Italian salad dressing were used in the making of this dove meal!!

I know - blasphemy,,,,,,,

anyhow,,,,,,,,as I was cleaning my dove from the other day,,,,I released the legs came off whole very easily,,,,,don't know why I never noticed this before,,,,,,so I took the legs, the hearts, the gizzards, and the breasts,,,,,,,,cleaned 'em up and got them ready.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sautéed Dove Pieces

5 dove (or as many as you want)
extra virgin olive oil
butter
2 jalapenos
Cracker Boy seasoning mix
ground black pepper

I filleted the meat off the breast bone,,,patted them semi-dry,,,,inspected for random feathers and such,,,,,,,

8Ba-2vtHVlm7qu7G6fEZQh2pzVZUMC4nFlSYyfSKvnnoiQ7-u847_XPbPQ6TghnO_CbrgUvqEwb5dQ=w1761-h990-no

get a skillet hot with EVOO, a tablespoon of butter,,,,,when butter melts add the jalapenos and sauté them to infuse the flavor in the EVOO/butter,,,,,

E7uy9JKC25J6sXIOHCG1l3iiv6mTcWLAyiPRR8aw54EEd-EjjgRXQ673pzL3Mc46XeeYh06Bklk5Tg=w1761-h990-no

then seasoned the pieces to preference with the Cracker Boy and black pepper,,,,,,

7HohMqtNnNISlrjB7l5Y8IVjYek0vNY-MIkTxCashzc7i3GAXtKnUQwxfugczTVkPCAxLT9ePH1YQg=w1761-h990-no

toss them in the pan and brown on each side then turn down some and cook till done,,,,,the filleted breasts still took about 4 - 5 minutes longer than the other pieces,,,,,

8CPenV2oyEVbmkIw_nAr0PAQ_QCtNvLfnk_dogqc_PY5GyS98-r5wEpudnlF6RkbIH_BtCiNtgq_Ag=w1761-h990-no

meanwhile,,,,I had some Boudin on the grill (I prefer it grilled versus steamed) and had some duck I seasoned and grilled for the next days "hunt lunch),,,,,,,

gnvC3_95IsFoq_dsG7mPt0ic2G1dNtPRhQ8UtuuCTdIUeR9CuwPN9LLBzBtc6C75RMk3sZMaig483g=w1761-h990-no

the Boudin turned out nice,,,,,,,,not sure if I go to Lousiana each fall/winter for the ducks or for the Boudin!!

ceCeSpcjaULiTP3AUM-5bFKCRx6I5XmuiZZxF--QDCJulydKm2AYipr1dCgwrpEn9myiaDfO62xh8w=w1761-h990-no

anyhow,,,,served it up with some kimchi and fresh garden cucumbers,,,,,,,,,

uh87kVUwa8_5ZDmuXktFkgyJfzeDXGpHgp5Mqk8uwyDGalAzHOmWAnmoOVCJjliQm6LF_L3szfgpeg=w1761-h990-no

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I am going to tell you,,,,,,,,dove legs are WAY better than the breast meat,,,,,its only a small bite or three on each leg,,,,perfect appetizer type dish,,,,,,,,not a lot of work to keep them,,,,,,and I WILL keep them for now on,,,,,,

and I expect someone will ask/comment - I prefer no breading/coating on my sautéed meat - it takes away from the meat itself in my taste,,,,,,,

Last edited:

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Yum...Monday was the first time eating dove. When I pulled off the breast meat there was a small sliver of light translucent meat. Any idea what that is. Does it taste good?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
It's the "tender" (what I call them),,,most (all?) birds have it,,,,and yes tastes fine

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Wood moose,

Tried tonight. Did a few breast for appetizer. Was going to cook rest on grill. Son asked me to do all like appetizer. Said it was solid and likes as good if not better than grilled bacon wrapped.

Thanks for post. Since no red meat due to alpha gal I'm always looking for new ideas. This was spot on for me since I can't do the bacon wrapped

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Woodmoose: No local source for boudin?

not that I have found,,,,,,if you find one let me know! I pick up a box at Don's Specialty Meats in Scott LA on my way home from an annual duck boondoggle,,,,,,

I tried to get walmart to order some (the walmarts down there carry it) but they won't even think of it (messes up their regional distribution concept I guess),,,,,,,,

you can order online from Don's but shipping is around $36 so I just get mine when I can

GrizzlyBear

Old Mossy Horns
As soon as I saw this thread I knew who started it. I have neither dove or boudin. And now I'm pissed about both

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
As soon as I saw this thread I knew who started it. I have neither dove or boudin. And now I'm pissed about both

I swear he could make a post about some sort of dish that revolved around moldy hay and it'll make you pissed you ain't got a bale. He's that good lol