Low Country in 9 Days!

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
This time, 9 days from now, I'll be in a tower or blind, rifle in hand, charged with very serious and critical corn protection duties. Any mammel, 'specially them ornery brown cervids, that comes between 'tween me and the corn.....I am o-fish-alley charged wit shootin at em....and I take them orders serious, they are shoot to kill orders!

First trip! Low Country Deer, skeeters, sweaty beer cans, chili farts and cheesy sneaker stink and thermocell pads by the thousands and chiggers and snakes!

The three fellas from CA that hunted with me and the Girls last year are coming along.

Gonna be a good hunt. With luck, their Dad and the youngest boy will both get on them corn thieves and put a good 55 to 120g smackdown on em!

For now, watching the weather....slowly looks like a cooling trend coming in for the weekend hunt and we're all more than a bit excited for this first hunt.

Don't worry fellas, we'll leave a few for the November hunt!!!!

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Yep. We gotta get a good mount for youngest. It's his second deer hunt and his success will be our focus!!

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
YEAH!!!! Last minute truck repairs. Blew the water pump and put a hole in the brand new radiator taking it off! Been in the garage cursing all night. New pump on. New valve cover gasket on. All new hoses on. Fan clutch on. Antifreeze and trans fluid everywhere! YEAH! Truck Repairs!!!! Just gotta grab a new radiator tomorrow AM and fill er back up....then a week of test driving again before I go.....8 days to the hunt!!!!! This time next Thursday we'll have two on the gambrel and deboning them!

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Woo Hoo! Leak free. Now I can switch gears and focus on getting my gear out, cleaned, packed, knives sharpened, batteries changed out, etc, etc!

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Oh yeah.....20.1 MPG this tank with the tune up! Not bad for a 4wd 3800 lb truck with big wide tires.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Started the packing. Its amazing how little ya need for a warm weather gun hunt.

Speaking of, weather for Andrews SC next week appears to be moderating nicely. Rain moving out of the area Wed and Thur with temp drops to 81 and 65 for the Thur to Sun hunting trip. Should be about right for morning and evening deer movement at the tail end of the predicted weather front.

Looks like I have enough thermacell cartridges and blue pads.

I'll have more rifles than shirts. AM hunting with the iron sighted 26" barreled Mod 94 in 3030 caliber (I like the irons when light is rising but evenings demand a scope!) with evenings on the scope sighted Win 1886 in 45-70. One of the boys will be using GoodWife's 7x57 Friechutz Custom Mauser 95 again this year. Took his first two deer, a buck and a doe, last year with it. The other two hunters will be using a pre 64 Win 70 in 264 mag and a Smith AR15 in .223. Looks like with all the flying around to get the boys here from CA and pick them up in Atlanta, I'll be doing weapons transport in Ol Pixie to save a bunch of hassle. Naturally, Judges and 38s with shot shells will abound for use on legless varmints.

(Note to self: DO NOT GO OFF PROPERTY WITH OPEN CARRY HANDGUN! Got lucky last year, LEO provided me significant consideration and I got a warning instead of a fine and some time sleeping on the hard bunk in the pokey with the drunks and fruitloops and Crackheads.)

I believe there are 8 stands for the 4 hunters. A combination of ground and towers.

Taking rain gear just in case, though I think, at this point, it'll be dead weight. The thermacell and some spray for the ankles will be more necessary. They don't call it Chigger Grove for nothing. Been lucky so far.....no chiggers on me in several years of hunting there. I'll keep up my chemical regimen just because.

Gotta go....coolers to bleach!

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Cooking the first nights meal in camp today. Will freeze it and we'll thaw and warm in camp that first day. Venison Chipotle Tacos in Adobo Sauce. YUM!!!!!!

I'll slide the recipe in the cooking threads.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Well, had one young man drop out. Didn't get school work done. So, he's staying home to catch up (Sucks!) and his Dad and Lil Bro are planning to arrive on time for the hunt. Good enough. Lil Bro didn't get a shot last year, we'll be working hard to put him on em this year.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
That's it. Pack Old Pixie tonight. Taking Rain Gear, its gonna be a wet weekend in the Low Country!

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Just off the line with our host. We have instructions to bring good rain gear. Looks like the edge of the tropical storm is working the area. Stands are ready and we have enough with covers for the hunt.

The plan is to pack lunches for the remote stands and as needed stay out all day, dark to dark. For stand sights near the Cabin, we can do all day sits or simply add a nooner to the morning and evening sit.

We want to be ready, the rain has been coming down all week and looks like it'll continue through the weekend. At least it'll drive the bugs to ground and as for the Deer, we'll have to be ready. Always been my experience that they move a lot when it rains and we could see em at any time of day rather than just the accepted hot weather times of Dawn and Dusk.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Done. Packed.

Head shaved....I look like WNCDEERHUNTER but with a beard. (its for luck, he always gets em on the run with one shot....I think the shine blinds em! But I'll try it.)

Rifles and hundreds of rounds each. Handguns with shotshells for snakes.

MREs to plug up the colon for long sits on the stands in the rain and buck snorts to call em in.

Crock pot full of venison tacos in Adobo sauce.

Tobacco, bourbon, scotch and water.

Knives and sharpener, drag and 5 coolers.

Flat griddle for making tenderloins in tomatoes on night two....we ain't buying groceries....the plan is to eat as we get em.

Pain pills for arthritic hip.

Extra rain gear and sox.

4 thermacells with dozens of pads and cartridges.

Books on the kindle.

Extra battery packs for the cell and 2 headlamps and 3 flashlights with spare batteries and a compass so we don't get lost when Tracker the Dog runs hundreds of yards in front of us, locates the deer and then leaves us before we can drag it out of the thick.....

License, ID.

Tomorrow morning, breakfast hash, coffee, cash, gas and GO, GO, GO!!!!!!!!

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
And most important, a dozen lil packs of MRE toilet paper.

Useless for the back end.

Perfect for marking out the blood droplets in the super thick woods. Helps one keep the blood trail and gets ya back to the blind and then out, even in the dark.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
I arrived safe. Pixie runs great. Flight delays out of CA for our youngster but finally got another flight and the rest of the hunters should be in around 2200 hrs. So. I'm hunting solo tonight near the soy field adjacent to the Garden Stand. Weather is good. Slightly overcast but only 85. Some chance of rain but no worries. 1600 is prime time tonight. Luck. Hunt safe.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Tacos and a nap. 1600 and on stand with Meatgun. (1886 Win 45-70). Looking out over the grass. Rain done. Sunshine and a light breeze. Opening day for me in the Low Country. Best day of the year.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Rain at 1700 cooler it nice. Clear overnight and all of Friday according to the app. Gettin about prime time here. Sun is below the trees and the crickets is singing. I'm gettin a chew and settling in for the shooting hour.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
As I sit in a fine new stand at prime time. Soy behind and watching the wood line for deer I am reminded of my first hunt with the gang. An inauspicious showing for me. A little one with spots from a fantastically comfortable buddy stand and the next eve? The buck that didn't want to die. From the Deathtrap Stand, 6 rounds in various parts of his anatomy only to flop and holler. A 7th finisher from the rifle, point blank in the head. Happy to say I've done a bit better since. The deer have been a bit bigger and took fewer shots. Patience. Make the humane shot.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Great first day of hunting. Quiet. Perfect sit. We will get em in the morning.

Golly though. The skeeters attacked. These buggers ignore the Thermacells! Bite right through pants shirt and sleeves. I guess I'll need some off tomorrow evening!