Ohio!

NCridgehunter

Eight Pointer
Surprised one of these hasn't been Started Yet. So who is headed to the buckeye state to attempt to slay ol smokey ghost?? We will be heading up to hunt with our buddies in northern Ohio the first week of November for the 5th year in a row. If that week doesn't work out then we will give the late season a try. Anyone going up any earlier to try some early season??

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'm going opening weekend the 24th. If I don't connect will be going back the last half week of October and first week of November. If that don't work gun and muzzloader seadon.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
First week of November for me too, last chance with this outfitter. Last year with this fella didn't impress me at all, but the quality of the land and deer on it did. This year I'll be doing more self guided stuff rather than let him dictate the stands/area I will be in (that's the agreement before returning with me and the other people that will be in the party of hunters that week).
Ohio holds some kind of potential and the 3 year old bucks are sure tempting compared to the majority of what I get to see around my hunting area. I'm always looking if someone else has a spot in their group for Kentucky or Ohio.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Wasn't planning on it just due to taking so much time off already this year but looks like I'll be working up there starting sometime in October. That means my bow and stand will be going with me.

NCridgehunter

Eight Pointer
Will be leaving for Ohio this coming Sunday. Looks like some good weather and great moon phases. First week of November should be pretty good hunting!! Anybody else making the trip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Found out I took the wrong days off for vacation.
My Ohio dates are 11/14-11/20...hope that's not too late but it's out of my hands now.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Well that blows!! Your buddy sell his farm I guess?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes sir he sure did. Some big stock broker bought it. Kind of a shame because he had a old barn...hand hewed logs in it. New owner took a track hoe to it and burned it. Landowner was tired of them cold winters and was about ready to auction it off when this guy came up. He sold it and moved to Florida where he bought 600 acres in cedar keys...then the hurricane hit....LOL. He told me to come down there and hunt but its no Ohio. He has got a lot of deer but said he seen one buck all summer.

So I'm going to set on the bench this year and cheer for you fellows to kill a giant.

country

Ten Pointer
Will be in Ohio from 10/28 - 11/5. Hope weather cooperates this year as last year it was way above normal temperatures.

BigBuckDown

Old Mossy Horns
I hunted Ohio last Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Movement was pretty good....saw a shooter buck Friday evening and saw a couple of young bucks sparring Saturday morning.

Going back on November 5 - 12. I'm hoping it's hot and heavy by then....but weather has really sucked this year....long range forecasts for that week have the lows in the low 40's and highs around 60 each days...wish it were about 10 degrees colder.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I hunted Ohio last Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Movement was pretty good....saw a shooter buck Friday evening and saw a couple of young bucks sparring Saturday morning.

Going back on November 5 - 12. I'm hoping it's hot and heavy by then....but weather has really sucked this year....long range forecasts for that week have the lows in the low 40's and highs around 60 each days...wish it were about 10 degrees colder.

This was the same week that I went last year and had similar results, just a bit too early for the good stuff to be going and at peak time of the corn harvest so machines were in the fields all day and left plenty of corn for the deer to munch on at night. Combine that with weather in the 70's and it's a perfect scenario for deer to move at night.
I'm leaving for a 7 day hunt on the 16th, since the previous week was taken(dang it)and hope the weather has cooled significantly by then.
Good luck on your return trip.

BigBuckDown

Old Mossy Horns
This was the same week that I went last year and had similar results, just a bit too early for the good stuff to be going and at peak time of the corn harvest so machines were in the fields all day and left plenty of corn for the deer to munch on at night. Combine that with weather in the 70's and it's a perfect scenario for deer to move at night.
I'm leaving for a 7 day hunt on the 16th, since the previous week was taken(dang it)and hope the weather has cooled significantly by then.
Good luck on your return trip.

Thanks!

Actually, the weather for last weekend was good. Nice weather system moved through Friday, causing temps to drop almost 20 degrees. It was 38 degrees Sunday morning there. But still lots of nuts on the ground.