My first set of Smallies.

AMO317

Button Buck
I had a serious itch for some fishing this weekend. I am a trout fly fisherman by trade, but I'll tell you that these bass have certainly changed my mind. Boy can they fight!

37d2d8a686cae2b7fbe783fd0965da9f.jpg

84f2d7be7f05b62d78f9448acee875d8.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Careful, I have a trout bum friend who is getting bit hard on the smallies. :) You may give up those pickey eating trout.

Pretty fish you caught. Congratulations.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
trout are way over rated........I have trout fished a lot and they are waaaaaay over rated. nice fish you caught.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
I'm in love with smallies, prettiest and hardest fighting fish in the water. Second one looks like a spot to me. Looks like the yadkin river to me.

Last edited:

AMO317

Button Buck
trout are way over rated........I have trout fished a lot and they are waaaaaay over rated. nice fish you caught.
They certainly aren't way over rated in Montana, Wyoming, New Mexico and Colorado. There are some monster trout on that side of the country. But bass sure are a blast!

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
They certainly aren't way over rated in Montana, Wyoming, New Mexico and Colorado. There are some monster trout on that side of the country. But bass sure are a blast!

Trout are way easier to catch than a lot of other warmwater fishs....golly they are suckers for corn or worms. monster trout in nc and Va you just have to know where to go.....

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Try for the Slam up there....Smallies, Spot and largemouth. I have done that a few times up there...The Smallie and spot are easy..getting the largemouth isn't.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Try for the Slam up there....Smallies, Spot and largemouth. I have done that a few times up there...The Smallie and spot are easy..getting the largemouth isn't.

I caught 2 largemouth up there last Monday. I failed tox mention that. They were small though. It was the first time I had caught all 3 in the same day.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
You need to make rip up to new river in VA very good smallie fishing and yup its great fun I'd still take trout first though with smallies close 2nd

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Trout are way easier to catch than a lot of other warmwater fishs....golly they are suckers for corn or worms. monster trout in nc and Va you just have to know where to go.....

Yep, you've been fishing pellet heads. Let me take you on a backcountry wild stream with nothing but a 3wt and a handful of flies, and we'll see how easy you can stalk and make accurate casts without landing in a Rhody or spooking fish. :)

Take me up on the offer.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
done plenty of that in my life........in the late 70's and 80's that is what I did most of the time....I don't fish with corn(except for carp) but have seen it enough. used to fish a fall spawing run of big wild rainbows that would that were hard as heck to catch but still some warmwater fish are harder. Now when I trout fish I am in Virginia throwing what would be considered bass lures for big Browns. way funner to catch a big brown on a big rapala imo.

Dont get me wrong what you are talking about is fun but it is not something I want to do a lot anymore. I fish for anything. Fished a very small steam the other day for green sunfish and tomorrow I plane to hit a small Blackwater stream for redfins.....

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Yep, you've been fishing pellet heads. Let me take you on a backcountry wild stream with nothing but a 3wt and a handful of flies, and we'll see how easy you can stalk and make accurate casts without landing in a Rhody or spooking fish. :)

Take me up on the offer.

i think trout suck too. can i get that invitation? :)

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You get up in the Yadkin it has good fishing for all three species of bass. The only drawback to it is the water is so fickle, it gets so muddy so easily. Much of the year it will be perfect on day and a frog will pee and muddy as chocolate milk the next morning. The only good thing is up there it will turn right and and clear back up fairly quick where it takes a week down here.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
You get up in the Yadkin it has good fishing for all three species of bass. The only drawback to it is the water is so fickle, it gets so muddy so easily. Much of the year it will be perfect on day and a frog will pee and muddy as chocolate milk the next morning. The only good thing is up there it will turn right and and clear back up fairly quick where it takes a week down here.

I was on the yadkin one time and saw racoon tracks floating by.

Os...trout don't suck but I would rather catch warm water species..but trout are fun . I am just getting into micro fishing where you use tanago sp? Hooks so they may work well on little trout..

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns

Os...trout don't suck but I would rather catch warm water species..but trout are fun . I am just getting into micro fishing where you use tanago sp? Hooks so they may work well on little trout..

I know mack. i lived with them for several years but i want to see alt's tricks.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You would think as muddy as it stays many days a year that it wouldn't disrupt the fishing as it does, they would get used to it but it does. I have fished it for years and it almost curtails it.