Airedales

Southside

Ten Pointer
I may have ask this before? Does anyone here have any experience hunting with airedales? I've always like these dogs but never owned one. Never got to hunt with one either.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I may have ask this before? Does anyone here have any experience hunting with airedales? I've always like these dogs but never owned one. Never got to hunt with one either.

I know some guys out west that run one or two in a pack with their bear dogs. They don't have enough nose for me.

As for their grit and disposition you have to remember they are terriers, just dang big ones. That in itself should speak volumes, they are for the most part fearless. Or a game bred one should be.

Southside

Ten Pointer
I've know of some NC guys that run them on bear and say they make good catch dogs for pig also. I suspect they are very high strung.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
When I was a kid there was a family that moved down here from the mountains. They had about 20 of them that run loose. They killed about everything they ran across. Several different individuals went to the owner and told them to put them up to no avail. They jumped on a little girl ( I don't remember if it was one or 5) one morning waiting for the bus. Long story short 4-5 guys in the community went to the the house and cured the problem right there. This was '60 or '61. I was pretty young and didn't read the paper nor pay much attention to the news back then but I don't remember anything coming of it. It would have made the national news today.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
They will bite, that's all I know.

They are very high strung and as NCC said often Fearless with a capital F.
I considered getting one years ago but after some serious research, I went with a Drahthaar.
They too can become pretty brave but seem to be better with people.
But if you let 20 game bred Drahthaars run loose together, you would have trouble too.
In the 1980s, my wife got a pair of female Dalmations from a vets office after they got to be too much for their last owner.
We soon found out why they were free at the vets office. They would attack any rabbit, rat, bird, dog or cat that they could catch, and they were good at it, working together as a team. Vet took care of them for free.
Goes to show that any breed will go rogue if given the chance.

Southside

Ten Pointer
Von Plott used to hunt one with his Plott pack......
I think I have an old picture (reproduction in a book or something) of Von with his Plott dogs and the airedale in the pic. That was way back when but to me that makes a statement about them....you agree wildcat?

RJ1

Ten Pointer
I have hunted with guys that had a Airedale or 2 in their pack worked good for them,me I would not own one of the nasty looking bastards.

92xj

Eight Pointer
I'm on my 4th one.
I don't hunt them though, house and family dogs for me for the past 30 years.
Great house dogs, hypoallergenic and don't shed which is a huge plus for me. Never seen aggression besides barking at strange people far off or ringing the doorbell. Very passionate and family loving. Have yet to experience this terrier mentality of being crazy and wired. Not by any of them. All are independent and don't need you all the time but sure do love affection when you're willing to give it. None have liked water where they can't touch the bottom. They love running in water, just not swimming. They are stupid fast when they want to be. Only one, the pictured one below, has done any hunting and that was not a desired hunt. She came home with a turkey that she got somehow. I do know guys out here in the West that hunt them for lions and say they will always have them. They are mean ugly animals though.

Last edited:

Southside

Ten Pointer
I'm on my 4th one.
I don't hunt them though, house and family dogs for me for the past 30 years.
Great house dogs, hypoallergenic and don't shed which is a huge plus for me. Never seen aggression besides barking at strange people far off or ringing the doorbell. Very passionate and family loving. Have yet to experience this terrier mentality of being crazy and wired. Not by any of them. All are independent and don't need you all the time but sure do love affection when you're willing to give it. None have liked water where they can't touch the bottom. They love running in water, just not swimming. They are stupid fast when they want to be. Only one, the pictured one below, has done any hunting and that was not a desired hunt. She came home with a turkey that she got somehow. I do know guys out here in the West that hunt them for lions and say they will always have them. They are mean ugly animals though.

Great looking dog. I've heard the much of the same comments as you have from other airedale owners.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
back in the late 90's being in Fairfield for the NOvember duck season and we were at that little store right past the restaurant. It was bear season also. I saw a big white Ford F-250 with dog box where the dogs can stick their head through the holes and distinctly remember seeing 3 big Airedales sticking their heads out along with a bunch of treeing walkers. As far as I can remember, that may be the only time Ive ever seen one in person.

rhromm

It makes a statement, not necessarily one that the Plott guys would be happy with.

Do not see a need in crossing it in. Although a good friend and very well known Plott breeder made an airedale/plott cross. I think I would lose the traits I am trying to maintain.. Some say it adds brains and/or grit. I know of quite a few airedale/hound crosses.

Last edited:

RJ1

Ten Pointer
I crossed a greyhound with a walker fox hound once got 6 puppies,they could burn a fox's butt up but they barked like chihuahuas.

treestock

Four Pointer
I crossed a greyhound with a walker fox hound once got 6 puppies,they could burn a fox's butt up but they barked like chihuahuas.

I'm sure that was a sight to be seen and an annoying sound to be heard LOL no chance in mistaking who's dogs jumped though. If you could catch the flash going by.