Rio Guide

rageslinger

Four Pointer
Me and a friend are looking into going on a Rio hunt next spring. Looking for some info on a good guide or good starting place! Thanks for any info

Datrip

Six Pointer
You can check out Joe Conyers on FB. I have not hunted with him but seems to have a good reputation. He is in KS. That being said, there is a ton of public land in KS and other states where you can get your Rio instead of going with a guide, just have to do your research.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
First question is how much time do you have its easy to say just go out and hit the public but if you don't have the time or flexibility your public adventure could be a waste because in states like Ks, Mont, Neb to name few if you go out and the rain pours the roads to many public areas become to sloppy to drive on last year we rolled into Ks first week of May but the Mon and Tues before they got 8 plus inches rain in 2 days and only thing on many roads were a tractor, 4-wheel truck will do you no good on them roads so if you only have 2-3 days to hunt and no flexibility to change depending on weather guide is decent choice, Now if your not dead set on killing and just going for the adventure of hunting new place then you can do some research and go for it. I've been going to areas for nearly 20 years so I can point you in right direction which ever road you want to go also do you care if its Hybrid or " pure Rio "

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
And there are lots of places in NE and KS that you will not know if they are pure Rio or Merriams without DNA testing. The NWTF maps are probably a good approximation at best. Some show one species on one side of the state line and another on the other side but I guarantee that the birds do not know where that line is. A lot of the birds I have killed in northeast NE look just like the birds I kill in north central KS and there is a bunch of miles between the two.

But like QBD2 posted, there are plenty of birds on public and we are do it yourself hunters. I like the challenge of figuring them out myself. Just would not be the same to follow someone else around and just be the trigger man.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
If it were me and I was pressed for time I would do a trespass hunt basically you just pay they show you property boundries and your on your own. I have guy that does this will show me 3-4 farms and I just let him know when I'm tagged out and heading home good option if your pressed for time. If you want some guide names PM me. Same with some public land do take into account hunting the public isn't like it used to be 15 years ago before all the craze to go to Ks Okl Neb those places used to be awesome but every year more and more pressure internet has ruined several areas n those states but it still can be done

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Me and a friend are looking into going on a Rio hunt next spring. Looking for some info on a good guide or good starting place! Thanks for any info

I would go to the nwtf web site. look for their regional biologists. email them about your desire for an outfitter. Not sure which state you want to hunt?

in texas adobe outfitters in san angelo will work if you want to go with a well known outfit. I have never hunted with them but was in the same airports as their customers for many years. I never heard one unhappy coming or going. and that says a lot.

Bperry

Six Pointer
Oldest school you beat me to it. I was going to suggest emailing or calling one of our RD's. Here is the link http://www.nwtf.org/about/nation

I have a fellow national board member who lives in OK. I'm sure he would be glad to help.

Bryan Perry

I would go to the nwtf web site. look for their regional biologists. email them about your desire for an outfitter. Not sure which state you want to hunt?

in texas adobe outfitters in san angelo will work if you want to go with a well known outfit. I have never hunted with them but was in the same airports as their customers for many years. I never heard one unhappy coming or going. and that says a lot.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
No need to pay high guide fees in Tx self guided is what you want that state is loaded with Rios and tons of places to hunt them 2 things to be careful of. 1 lot of those guys use corn or grain and hunt over or right near it in spring which is legal and would suck as a turkey hunt. 2 do your homework and get references more outfitters than any other state and plenty of them are not on the level but plenty are you should have no problem finding decent semi guided hunt lot of those guys just sell weekend hunts. Another good thing with Tx is get 4 tags only thing that sucks about that state is the extreme lack of public land for turkey hunting to be honest I wouldn't even consider public as its not worth it with all the trespass hunts that are available.

Randy

Ten Pointer
I wish you the best of luck and hope you are successful. I've gotten my butt thoroughly kicked on public land in KS the last two springs and haven't fired a shot yet. Found some turkeys to hunt but traveled many miles across multiple counties to do so and have been hampered by almost impassable muddy roads and BIG thunderstorms. They do love to gobble but getting them to come to you is another matter.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I wish you the best of luck and hope you are successful. I've gotten my butt thoroughly kicked on public land in KS the last two springs and haven't fired a shot yet. Found some turkeys to hunt but traveled many miles across multiple counties to do so and have been hampered by almost impassable muddy roads and BIG thunderstorms. They do love to gobble but getting them to come to you is another matter.

People that haven't been out there don'e realize how the roads get with rain a sloppy mess that will put a good 4-wheel drive in ditch in heartbeat if you get it right will keep you out of areas for your whole hunt its why I make sure to have several days and some areas off decent roads. Going in mid to late May helps

blackheel

Twelve Pointer
turkeyfoot - Mind sharing some info on where you have been able to just pay trespass fees in TX? Have family down there and could maybe tie it into a trip!

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
There are bunch but reminder there are more outfitters in Tx than anywhere and of course more crooks can't do enough homework for that long of drive and always ask about feeders way of life there even for turkeys hate to see anyone drive that far to spring deer hunt birds

manybeards

Ten Pointer
As far as Kansas goes, I'm fairly certain that birds west of the Republican River Valley are pure Rio's. Not just coloration, but their legs and necks are shorter and that's typical of short grass prairie birds.

ezdemon72

Six Pointer
As far as Kansas goes, I'm fairly certain that birds west of the Republican River Valley are pure Rio's. Not just coloration, but their legs and necks are shorter and that's typical of short grass prairie birds.

I've never noticed a difference in legs and necks on the birds.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
I've never noticed a difference in legs and necks on the birds.

I've always heard that rios have the longest legs of the other subspecies.

http://unionsportsmen.org/turkeys-times-four-meet-the-subspecies/
"Similar in size to the Eastern, the Rio differs in two ways. First are the bird’s disproportionately long legs."

https://www.sportsmansnews.com/2015/03/pros-tips-subspecies-of-the-wild-turkey-whats-the-difference/
"Roughly the same height as the other sub species, the Rio’s tend to have much longer legs than their Eastern cousins."

Randy

Ten Pointer
I never could get close enough to see how long their legs were, but the ones that I unsuccessfully tried to head off in Kansas last spring had no trouble covering ground.

Last edited:

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Merriams have shorter legs but like to travel more than the others, I've heard. One would think the opposite would be the case.

the reason they are my favorite you are never out of the game in Merriams country can be on a Mtn for hours and hours then all of sudden they just show up coming in on a string

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Mountain merriams will travel many miles from spring to winter areas. Part of it may be the nature of the environment they reside in. However, my brother has trapped and relocated a lot of western birds and says that the merriams tend to venture out much farther than the rios do.