Trout fishing in Wilkes

igotatoyota

Hey guys, I'm new to the sport of trout fishing. It's something I've been wanting to try for sometime now and me and some other guys are planning a trip to Wilkes to do some fly fishing. We are planning on going up second Sunday in October and have been looking at the North, Middle and South Fork Reddies Rivers and also the wild waters of Thurmond Chatham gamelands. Can anyone help me out as to if these rivers or creeks are decent to fish and about how wide these rivers/creeks are at the widest and narrowest points, and possibly the depth of these rivers/creeks?Also if anyone would like to share what type of fly would be good choice in October that would be greatly appreciated as well? Thanks in advance and if there are any other creeks or rivers that anyone would like to suggest I'm open to suggestions as well!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wademaster

Any creek in the area is terribly low and clear due to the lack of rainfall. The wild streams you speak of will likely be close to a trickle since many of those are very small to begin with.

igotatoyota

Thanks wademaster, is there anywhere that you would recommend? Not looking for specific spots but just creeks or rivers to try we are coming from Lexington/Winston-Salem area and looking at trying to keep the drive under 2 hrs but I am open to any and all suggestions! Thanks!

wademaster

Larger rivers are offering rare opportunities to wade them in areas that are usually too deep. Keep that in mind.

igotatoyota

Yeah, I'm thinking that possibly now going up and maybe seeing how Stone Mountain looks and if there's not much water there driving on up and going to the Little River up in Sparta. Thoughts on what the Little River may be offering?

Last edited:

AMO317

Button Buck
Stone mountain will be REALLY busy on the weekends. Try to get the during the weekdays and you'll have a good time. Any soft hackle nymphs, Slumpbuster or sculpzillas will work.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

wademaster

I hate fishing the parks where people flock together.

PM sent.

thandy

Ten Pointer
I assume you are bringing one truck? There are several spots on the East Prong of the Roaring River below stone mtn that have good trout. I will shoot you a PM....

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
This is time of year you won't have much luck in hatchery waters you will have lot luck in Delayed waters in the park. The fishing will be very poor on Thurmond Chatam Pike creek is hatchery and fished out and the water they call Wild is very small and barely running even when it is not good place to fish on the gameland for wild trout. The first week Oct they will stock the delayed water in park same for Nov will be plenty of fish just know the rules as far as flies/lures I only use single hook barbless to keep from killing them since have to release them. If you want to do strictly wild just go down Longbottom road to hunter campground and the creek that flows under the bridge there is wild up stream and has decent number mostly all will be small but wild

wademaster

Lots of fish there. Low for sure. Hike a ways in before fishing if you go that route.