Smokeless Muzzleloaders

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
[Asking for a friend]

I know that a number of you here on this forum have built smokeless muzzleloaders for yourself, family and friends. I have a friend who is interested in owning a smokeless muzzleloader but not building it himself. Are there anyone/gun shops building smokeless muzzleloaders for sale? If you can't buying one commercially, are there good DIY instructions on building your own muzzleloader. Even though the friend would prefer to buy, he is quite handy on building stuff.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Does he want a break open conversion or a bolt action build? If he wants it fast a break open built on the TC encore or CVA Apex is the best bet. Luke at smokelessmz.com is your best bet for getting one fast but there are several reputable builders out there including the pioneer of smokeless himself our very own member 1shot1kill.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If he wants a break open conversion Carlos at Eds Gun Shop had some Apex 45-70 rifles in stock that can be converted by Luke in a couple weeks.

Jeff Hankins at Hankins custom rifles also does conversions using his own ignition system.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
There is also a buy sell trade area over on dougsmessageboards.com that may have a few.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks for the information. I don't think he wants it fast. It would probably be best to wait until hunting season is over to pursue this.

herman

Six Pointer
If he is in no hurry I would go with a regular rifle build The break-opens would make a great hunting rifle but if he wanted to
go long range in the future the rifle action would be better.
Can be built off of regular rifle action such as savage or Remington.
I solded one of mine built off rem muzy action and pac-nor barrel last month. Bought another one this week.
Haven't gotten to try her out yet but sure it will be a shooter.

mdunker

Ten Pointer
There are some Savage ML10 smokeless ones still around new on Gunbroker. I would recommend that. Good used ones are around as well.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
He doesn't need long range. We hunt the same area. A 75 yard shot would be a long one.

Call Carlos at Ed' and buy on of the 45-70's he just got in last week and send the barrel off to Luke at Arrowheads sporting goods and have him add one of his bushing plugs. Should be less then $500 on the gun total for gun and conversion. Throw a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 on it and you are good to go for less then $700.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
There are some Savage ML10 smokeless ones still around new on Gunbroker. I would recommend that. Good used ones are around as well.

What 10ml's that do come up for sale are expensive. I lucked into one earlier this year for a good deal, but it took me months of looking before I found one that I felt was 'reasonable"

fats

Four Pointer
Even the break open H&R 45/70's conversions will shoot 1" groups at a 100yds. It's so much better than all the smoke, rust, other mess associated with pyrodex.

ducknut

Eight Pointer
Even the break open H&R 45/70's conversions will shoot 1" groups at a 100yds. It's so much better than all the smoke, rust, other mess associated with pyrodex.
No rust and less mess would be nice, but the smoke is half of the fun. I love that second or two after shooting and having no idea what happened.

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
I had a savage ML2 about as soon as they came out, then had one with a pacnor .45 cal barrel, Now I have a break action Encore 45/70 conversion. For me the conversion is the best for a plain Jane hunting gun shooting .40 cal bullets in sabots. Lighter weight, easier access to the breech plug. Hammer time will be a little longer so it may not drive tacks as well at 500 yards but out to 200 any deer that comes by is in trouble.

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
I'm shooting a Savage 10ML II in stainless and laminate sporting a Sightron SII Big Sky scope. With the new style breechplug that can be removed without loosening the rear stock screw they are hard to beat. The $3 ventliner in the breechplug makes the breechplug last forever and lasts for about 200 shots (100 for the best tack driving accuracy). I use Accurate 5744. Although it's not the fastest powder around for the Savage it is very temperature insensitive so what you get for velocity at 90 degrees is what you'll get at zero degrees. It also is very insensitive to picking up moisture as compared to some other powders.

I think that if you look over at gunbroker you'll be pleasantly surprised at what's there.

FWIW my SS/lam one cost about $670 when new and if memory serves the late production black/composite ones were near to $800 when discontinued.

Good luck and good hunting.

Lance

Last edited: